• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Chasing ERNESTO

what do you think about punta allen? too far N? too isolated?

If track keeps shifting N.

Just going by latest track and giving an inland focal point to then access potential coastal targets. Actually the better inland point is Felipe Puerto (as it stands now) and he can quickly move if needed.

Of course this could all change by the time he lands and picks up his car.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day all,

I am thinking about Josh's options because I am a hurricane chaser myself. Indeed the Punta Allen "target" would be very dangerous and "dicey", mainly because of the night-time landfall.

He should have plenty of time to get there as long as there are no flight delays. If he lands in Cancun at about 2:30 PM local time, it will take roughly an hour to deplane, get luggage, and clear customs. Then another half hour to procure the rental vehicle and such. This should put the time at about 4 PM local.

I would give another hour for supplies (fuel cans, food, bottled WATER (important), and vehicle prep) ... I see him headed south on 307 out of Cancun at about 5 PM local. This is roughly 9 hours from landfall, with a 2 hour drive to the target area(s) by about 7 PM (7 hours from landfall). The the storm moving in at 12 MPH, and the core winds extending 25 miles from the center, Josh should be in breezy (low-end tropical storm forced) winds when he reaches the target area(s), as this will be within the edge of the storm's gale wind envelope.

Given he makes his target 7 hours from landfall, he will have to wait at least 5 hours before seeing any hurricane forced gusts (74 MPH and higher), and this is given ONLY if he is NORTH or NE of the center as it's coming in, and he's less than 25 miles from where it comes in. There are barely any hurricane forced winds SOUTH of the storm center ATTM.

Basically, it SEEMS like he's cutting it close, but he knows what he's doing and has plenty of time.

The only time I got too late on a tropical intercept was in Miami a couple years ago with weak TS Bonnie. I had 3 hours to get to the storm center, but failed, because the traffic problems caused every road to be jammed, and making the 20 mile trip take 2+ hours. Josh is not chasing in a metro nightmare anyway. H'ell be fine!

Punta Allen is definitely not an option.

Currently being evacuated.

He's really got no good coastal options. :(

Punta Allen might be in the north eyewall or maybe a little north of it, but it's being evacuated.

Costa Maya will almost certainly be too far south, probably south of the southern eyewall.

There are only a couple tiny villages on the coast north of Costa Maya, but even there, they likely won't be anywhere near the right-front quadrant...

There are no good coastal towns near where landfall might actually occur (I'd guess somewhere near 19.2N, 87.5W right now)

He's really got no good coastal options. :(

Punta Allen might be in the north eyewall or maybe a little north of it, but it's being evacuated.

Costa Maya will almost certainly be too far south, probably south of the southern eyewall.

There are only a couple tiny villages on the coast north of Costa Maya, but even there, they likely won't be anywhere near the right-front quadrant...

There are no good coastal towns near where landfall might actually occur (I'd guess somewhere near 19.2N, 87.5W right now)

True but the further N and inland targets are just as good. ;) If it keeps going N enough and the Tulum area even becomes an option.

Anywhere inland from Felipe Puerto N to Tulum will be solid with Ernie not losing much of his punch, especially if it were to be strengthening up to landfall.

True but the further N and inland targets are just as good. ;) If it keeps going N enough and the Tulum area even becomes an option.

Anywhere inland from Felipe Puerto N to Tulum will be solid with Ernie not losing much of his punch, especially if it were to be strengthening up to landfall.

Not sure I think it's going to go that far north to have a sig impact in Tulum, myself. I think we see a bit of a wobble back to the west before landfall. But I certainly could see it within the realm of possibilities.

EDIT: I think Felipe Carrillo Puerto is a good base, though.

Hey, guys-- I'm in Cancun, just about to head S! Woo hoo! :)

I've chased on the Yucatan a couple of times, so this is very familiar turf for me and also my right-hand man, Scott (Strat). One of the interesting things about being here on the ground is that it doesn't always match the maps-- one of the idiosyncrasies of chasing on the Yucatan.

I'm heading S to Tulum. Once there, I'm going to stop and Scott and I will have a strategy session.

I've chased on the Yucatan a couple of times, so this is very familiar turf for me and also my right-hand man, Scott (Strat). One of the interesting things about being here on the ground is that it doesn't always match the maps-- one of the idiosyncrasies of chasing on the Yucatan.

I'm heading S to Tulum. Once there, I'm going to stop and Scott and I will have a strategy session.

Seems like a perfect plan. Good luck!

:thumbsup:

FWIW, I'm still of the opinion that Felipe Carrillo Puerto is a better base than Tulum. :P

:thumbsup:

FWIW, I'm still of the opinion that Felipe Carrillo Puerto is a better base than Tulum. :P

Yep, basically one of those two towns will probably be the homebase for riding out the cyclone-- unless it turns more.

Once I get down in that region, I'm going to do what I always do-- which is to scout the area carefully by the light of day and get a feel for it. I was especially exhaustive with my pre-hurricane scouting for Jova (on the Pacific side) last year, and the extra effort paid off handsomely.

Thanks, Mallow, and everyone else for the well-wishes. This chase was not embarked upon lightly-- I had a lot of trouble deciding whether to go.

Good day all,

Tulum will clearly be a bit far north by the looks of the Belize radar. That eye is about 5 nm wide - Pinhole eye if it were stronger. You will need to be IN the eyewall to see a "hurricane".

You have the right idea, Josh ... Head down to Tulum, and decide where to go from there, you should have plenty of time - while still able to have internet (near hotels or roaming on cell data)?

Cancun's radar is below, if you need it - I'm sure it may come in handy later (Belize's seems better though).

http://smn.cna.gob.mx/radares/cancun/cancun.php

Josh picked up the rental car and is on his way to Tulum before checking in quickly and heading towards Felipe Puerto as we initially planned - Unless there are significant changes in the next hour.

He is stoked that radar is showing an improving signature.

Awesome. Glad he decided to go.

Awesome. Glad he decided to go.

Yeah it was up and down on what to do very early this morning. We kept waiting for overnight imagery and recon to give that 'wow' kinda moment that made the decision easy. For awhile the idea was to wait for the data from the recon flight this morning and if it was good to take a later flight and taking a chance that the arrival wouldn't be diverted. Then of course sat images started teasing.

Next thing I know he called and said he was on his way to the airport for the original flight. As it looks now it was a helluva call.

This could turn into a huge success for Josh...if he can get in the small core of this strengthening hurricane and get into some 70-75 kt winds it would be a huge win considering when his flight left we were looking at a 55kt storm with ~18 hours till landfall. Probably not a Jova type win for him but a smaller version of it. Good luck!

Archived