Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

metalicwx366

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up 1.54" from last nights freight train......er I mean storms. We had moderate winds maybe 25-40 mph but the thunder & lightning was just amazing! Pretty much constant for over a hour. When the thunder gets going like that and starts bouncing from mnt to mnt it is something to here. Went outside to survey this am & my grass looks like someone painted it green. Not looking forward to the warm up today with all the rain last night.

First off, drove down 95 all day sat from early morning on. Looked like several hundred miles of destruction through DE....MD....DC..VA. Kudos for the crews to even have 95 open in some spots. The debris lines are piles. Trees, branches and leaves everywhere.....except in places with no trees obviously.

We heard on the radio things were bad....also noticed how cell service was just about non existent in many areas, for hours on end.same with power for gas stations. We fueled up in VA past Richmond.

Saw packs of utility trucks all heading north on 95. Thousands. Packs of 5-30 from all states south of damage.

Crazy event for sure.

The storms last night in Hilton head were a nice welcome to the south. Man it's hot....they broke the heat up for a while...the light show was amazing and the downpours incredible. Always enjoy storm watching down here!

Hope power is restored for those still waiting!! Post Irene we went a week without and know just how much it sucks...and the heat wave only makes it worse.

1.37" from last night's storm. A fellow CoCoRaHS observer in the southern portion of the county commented "Major wash outs and trees fell on roads," which is curious. Near the middle of the storm, radar showed an impulse of 70+ mph winds crossing southern Unicoi County. I thought little of it at the time, but it seems this was no fluke and that areas of serious damage occurred. I may drive through later and see what I can find.

The NAM FTW! :lmao:

STRONG OUTFLOW WINDS WITH AN MCS CAME CHARGING SWD LATE IN THE

EVENING AND EVENTUALLY WEAKENED OVER THE LOCAL AREA AS THE OUTFLOW

RACED FAR AHEAD OF THE CONVECTION AND BUMPED UP AGAINST THE RIDGE.

A MESO HIGH HAS DEVELOPED OVER SOUTH/CENTRAL GA PUSHING REMAINING

CONVECTION TO THE WRN PANHANDLE AND OUT TO SEA. THE NAM HAD BEEN

SUGGESTING THIS SCENARIO AND HAD PREVIOUSLY DISCOUNTED IT BECAUSE

OF THE STRONG MID LEVEL HIGH OVER THE REGION. MODELS KEEP THIS

HIGH IN PLACE TODAY THEN SHIFT IT SOUTH TUESDAY. AT THE SURFACE A

RIDGE WILL REMAIN PARKED OVER SOUTH FL WHILE A TROUGH MEANDERS

NORTH OF THE AREA. NAM/GFS/ECMWF ALL INDICATE DEVELOPMENT OF MCS

IS POSSIBLE AGAIN EACH DAY THEN DIVING SOUTHWARD DURING THE

EVENING HOURS WITH SCATTERED STORMS ACRS SE GA AND ISOLATED NE FL.

MCS`S

DROPPING SOUTH FROM THE TENN VALLEY DURING THE EVENING HOURS MAY

BECOME A DAILY OCCURRENCE ESPECIALLY TOWARD THE END OF THE WEEK.

I like this pattern. :thumbsup:

Heres my video from yesterday. It was shaky and youtube tried to fix it but the wind was pushing me around a bit. Like a true weather weenie I was standing in my backyard shooting video instead of seeking shelter! This was the first gustfront. We were later hit with a microburst that pushed sustained winds up to 40+ with gusts to 70+. I'm gonna do some picture taking tomorrow to show some of the more extensive damage around.

Good stuff, Shaggy - that Martin house was really rocking there at the start. --- and those shingles trying to lift off. Much as I need some rain over here, I can do without the severe weather to get it.

I have another video that is after the main microburst gust that shows the sustained winds really well. Problem is the hood to my grill had just came flying off when I started filming and went through my porch where I was standing rolled down my driveway and into the ditch. After it missed me I dropped an F bomb so the video isn't family friendly.

I have another video that is after the main microburst gust that shows the sustained winds really well. Problem is the hood to my grill had just came flying off when I started filming and went through my porch where I was standing rolled down my driveway and into the ditch. After it missed me I dropped an F bomb so the video isn't family friendly.

Post the video lol. Excellent video. Looks fun without the damages of course.

Post the video lol. Excellent video. Looks fun without the damages of course.

Pissed me off cause my grill top is ruined and is now oval shaped instead round like its suppose to be. The F bomb is in the first few seconds and the video starts as I was taking cover from the flying grill.

Sorry for the profanity and if a mod wants to remove it thats cool.

Lol I laughed pretty hard at the beginning of the vid. Lol my bad. Holy cow at the winds. Looks like the eye of a hurricane. Crazy stuff! When you think would calm down they just get stronger. Watched it a couple of times.

0:57-1:03, 1:13-1:19 , 0:43-0:48 and the first few seconds are epic.

Lol I laughed pretty hard at the beginning of the vid. Lol my bad. Holy cow at the winds. Looks like the eye of a hurricane. Crazy stuff! When you think would calm down they just get stronger. Watched it a couple of times.

0:57-1:03, 1:13-1:19 , 0:43-0:48 and the first few seconds are epic.

It lasted around 5-8 minutes total like that. There were confirmed reports in my area of winds up to 75mph. Me and downeastnc are gonna go around and get some pics tomorrow of the worst damage.

Heres the official report from around my area

0430 PM TSTM WND GST GREENVILLE 35.60N 77.37W

07/01/2012 M75 MPH PITT NC LAW ENFORCEMENT

Pissed me off cause my grill top is ruined and is now oval shaped instead round like its suppose to be. The F bomb is in the first few seconds and the video starts as I was taking cover from the flying grill.

Sorry for the profanity and if a mod wants to remove it thats cool.

wow did I miss out here in Raleigh....nice vid shaggy, sorry about the grill top! haha

Great videos Shaggy :) wish I would have been in a good spot to video the hail the other day, but couldn't get underneath the awning far enough to be completely out of the line of fire :lol:

My neighbors thought I was crazy for standing out there like I was but I had to. Its like an addicition or something.

The hail you took pics of is plenty big enough to hurt you if it hits you. Smart move avoiding that sized hail even though the video would have been awesome to see.

New line of storms forming right along the mountains looks like it means business for the foothills. Really need these cells here in the Piedmont. Kernersville and Winston areas are D..R..Y! Save the lightning, bring me the 2" of rain please!

The storms in Wilkes just completely fizzled out. Nice cell over Mt Airy.

My neighbors thought I was crazy for standing out there like I was but I had to. Its like an addicition or something.

The hail you took pics of is plenty big enough to hurt you if it hits you. Smart move avoiding that sized hail even though the video would have been awesome to see.

My family wasn't happy with me for laughing and stating how awesome the event was while it was happening. After it was over my son asked me if there was any weather situation that would have me as afraid as what he was. :lol: I just told him, that when I showed "fear or great concern" he should be worried. ;)

My family wasn't happy with me for laughing and stating how awesome the event was while it was happening. After it was over my son asked me if there was any weather situation that would have me as afraid as what he was. :lol: I just told him, that when I showed "fear or great concern" he should be worried. ;)

Yeah, but you may be crazy :) You might not get scared until way too late :)

The afternoon thunder just finished. They fired up a few thousand feet to the east and south, and off they marched just like they have for months and months. I think it's micro climates. Created by Haarp, or space men, or..or the mole people. To control the climate in small locations...make the weather in those places anomalous. For nefarious purposes. "Everybody gets rain"....then, the finger," but none for you!!" Surely it isn't some random climo shaft job, lol. T

Archived