Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

metalicwx366

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy how it 101 with a heat index of 121 in Charlotte right now. Looks like an active severe weather day today.

Boy Virginia really got hammered Friday night. Verizon has lost all voice and data for the whole state. No estimate of repair time. My sister in law lives in Lynchburg and they have been told next Saturday is the best estimate of getting power back on. She runs a clinic and is using dry ice to keep the meds and vaccines from spoiling.

Tornado Warning TOR.gif

Statement as of 4:24 PM EDT on July 01, 2012

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...

east central Sampson County in central North Carolina

* until 500 PM EDT

* at 418 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a

tornado 7 miles north of Turkey... or 8 miles northeast of

Clinton... moving east at 20 mph. Golf Ball sized hail and

destructive winds in excess of 70 mph are also likely with this

storm.

Crazy afternoon worst storm area wide in at least 5 years....Greenville gusted to at least 74....east of town there is widespread damage radar indicated winds 80-100 there, Shaggy has seen houses with roof missing and numerous trees on homes and vehicles in the Simpson area were he lives.

Numerous reports of winds over 65 mph all over eastern NC....Cherry Point hit 84 mph on the tarmac.....

This is one of if not the worst thunderstorm I have had. At my house it stayed sustained at 40+ for 5 minutes with just white out type gusts constantly. I'll do some work with the camera tomorrow and try and get some better pics the damage was insane.

Crazy afternoon worst storm area wide in at least 5 years....Greenville gusted to at least 74....east of town there is widespread damage radar indicated winds 80-100 there, Shaggy has seen houses with roof missing and numerous trees on homes and vehicles in the Simpson area were he lives.

Numerous reports of winds over 65 mph all over eastern NC....Cherry Point hit 84 mph on the tarmac.....

Was truly insane... I live on East 10th street and I went outside when the winds started and I could hear trees cracking.

We've had two separate rounds of showers and t-storms over the past few hours. Somewhat unexpected as only 30% coverage was expected today. Glad I was in the 30%! The first round dropped our temperature 24 degrees from 102 to 78. Nice steady rain falling again right now which is sorely needed as our county is right in the heart of the D4 drought area.

Reports now that the Coast Guard is responding to several distress calls from boaters caught on the Pamlico river and sound during the storms I cant imagine how scary it would have been to have 70-100 MPH winds while out on the big water ugh.....

Cherry point recorded a gust of 84 per the spc reports page, also a anemometer on a highway patrol cruiser recorded 75 in Greenville, 3 confirmed fat in ENC, 1 in Pitt (barn blew over and onto a man), 2 in Beaufort (pair killed by tree failing on golfcart). Power is on here, lots of trees snapped though, none on my property, but saw a neighbor up the road who took a sycamore into his new Chrysler. May go over in the morning with the chainsaw and help extricate it.

Temp went from 95 @ 1555 to 66 @ 1635, 29 degree drop in 40 minutes, wind responded accordingly.

IR loop, like a bomb went off

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?ir_east_enhanced+12

Some blues in there, sub 200K tops

post-382-0-31282600-1341188339_thumb.jpg

Looking at the radar loop and the estimated radar totals, it looks like some parts of our county didn't receive a drop while the far northern section had between 1-2 inches. I think my neighborhhood got between 1/3 and 1/2 inch. The 30% coverage was probably pretty accurate for our forecast area. Areas that didn't receive rain are still well into the 90's so the cool down was very welcomed. Currently sitting at 72 degrees.

Cherry point recorded a gust of 84 per the spc reports page, also a anemometer on a highway patrol cruiser recorded 75 in Greenville, 3 confirmed fat in ENC, 1 in Pitt (barn blew over and onto a man), 2 in Beaufort (pair killed by tree failing on golfcart). Power is on here, lots of trees snapped though, none on my property, but saw a neighbor up the road who took a sycamore into his new Chrysler. May go over in the morning with the chainsaw and help extricate it.

Temp went from 95 @ 1555 to 66 @ 1635, 29 degree drop in 40 minutes, wind responded accordingly.

IR loop, like a bomb went off

http://www.atmos.was...ast_enhanced 12

Some blues in there, sub 200K tops

post-382-0-31282600-1341188339_thumb.jpg

Lots of stuff around Simpson looks worse than it did after Irene, small planes flipped over at Warren Field, trees down all over the place but easily worse east of Greenville towards Simpson and Grimesland.

Archived