• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

metalicwx366

Any chance the storms in western Virginia make into central North Carolina, or is the airmass to stable?

Take a look at the radar in Asheville, NC. It's much more than just western Virginia now.

Looks like most of western North Carolina will be impacted.

Looking at the current radar, Winston Salem is easily do-able.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a look at the radar in Asheville, NC. It's much more than just western Virginia now.

Looks like most of western North Carolina will be impacted.

Looking at the current radar, Winston Salem is easily do-able.

Not just that, but the Triad Area and down I-77 towards Statesville to just north of Charlotte didn't see that much precip. today. Sure, temps. are down to the upper 70s, but the atmosphere hasn't been worked over to the same extent as parts farther east/south.

Here in Kannapolis, I caught the edge of a thunderstorm for about two minutes, but that's about it.

Still sitting here with no power after the storms rolled through. Like Shaggy said easily 20 mins of 50+ with a couple of gusts that rivaled Irene. Lots of trees down, including my neighbor who had one 75' pine tree snapped off about 20' up. Also blew his large bay window in and drenched his living room. Very impressive storm; one of the worst that I've experienced here without a tornado involved.

sitting here now at 83 with a dewpoint of 65. It seems to me the line is staying intact I am waiting to see what happens once it crosses the mountains.

I'm at 80-65. Didn't get a drop of rain earlier. I guess I'll stay up and watch a bit to see if the storms hold together coming out of the mountains.

Severe warnings were just extended into far NW NC.

I noticed the new warnings that were just issued if you look at the storms on the blacksburg radar you can see a outflow in front of the storms. I say if they can make it to Mt. Airy intact and no weaking is observed the piedmont and the foothills might see some action.

I noticed the new warnings that were just issued if you look at the storms on the blacksburg radar you can see a outflow in front of the storms. I say if they can make it to Mt. Airy intact and no weaking is observed the piedmont and the foothills might see some action.

Yeah. Blacksburg is what I've been watching for the past couple of hours.

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR BURKE...

CALDWELL...MCDOWELL AND ALEXANDER COUNTIES UNTIL 215 AM EDT...

AT 132 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE

HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE

LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM KINGS CREEK TO COLLETTSVILLE TO

MARION...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

BAH Looks like I might get split.

EDIT: Yep. It basically fell apart just northwest of me. Nice "breezes", not enough rain to fully wet the ground and a bit of high cloud to cloud lightning. It did knock the temp down so that was appreciated.

What an insane evening. The line produced the best light show seen since the supercells of April 27, 2011. Most of Unicoi County was spared severe wind; widespread 40 mph with higher gusts is likely accurate. I drove nearly the entire county, finding minor damage: leaf-covered roadways, small branches snapped, small signs blown off a building downtown, flags blown off light poles, etc. Hail was scarce, and dime-size at best. The rain and to a larger extent lightning were blinding, though. I'll check my gauge at the appropriate time in the morning, but it's safe to say well over an inch fell in less than an hour.

What an insane evening. The line produced the best light show seen since the supercells of April 27, 2011. Most of Unicoi County was spared severe wind; widespread 40 mph with higher gusts is likely accurate. I drove nearly the entire county, finding minor damage: leaf-covered roadways, small branches snapped, small signs blown off a building downtown, flags blown off light poles, etc. Hail was scarce, and dime-size at best. The rain and to a larger extent lightning were blinding, though. I'll check my gauge at the appropriate time in the morning, but it's safe to say well over an inch fell in less than an hour.

Big deal. I just got .02!! :)

According to RadarScope*, you just "Bermuda Triangled" that storm cell.

*Having no clue where Archdale is located, I was forced to search Google Maps first. Consider yourself stalked.

Yep. Someone parted the waters.

I've been stalked by better looking people than you.

Yep. Someone parted the waters.

I've been stalked by better looking people than you.

As have I. I'm never quite sure whether to be alarmed or flattered.

On a more serious note, our friends in Morristown bring you the following public service announcement:

NOTE...TRI CITIES REGIONAL AIRPORT EXPERIENCED A POWER OUTAGE BEFORE
MIDNIGHT. TRI ASOS WAS ABLE TO RUN OFF BACKUP BATTERIES FOR LESS
THAN 1 HOUR...BUT NOW THERE IS NO POWER SOURCE FOR THE TRI ASOS. THUS
I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ISSUE ANY AMENDMENTS UNTIL POWER IS RESTORED...
WHICH HOPEFULLY COULD OCCUR BY 02/12Z TAF ISSUANCE.

Just .04" in token raindrops yesterday here at home, although I did see some pine cones blowing sideways when that first storm passed through North of Raleigh yesterday afternoon. That's the only precip we've had in the last week. Off to drag the water hoses around the yard before the heat wakes up. At least there's a breeze and lower humidity this morning. Looks like the line of showers along I85 is just about washed out now.

If one were to believe last night's (07/02/12) 00z GFS for KJNX:

16 day TOTAL PRECIP: 8.56 " and Convective: 5.6 "

:D

Archived