northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
July 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

metalicwx366

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.4" for the month so far in Wilmington, NC; not at all on track for July's beefy normal of 7.48".

One real oddity --- yesterday made six consecutive days with "T" precip at the airport. Getting this by simply rolling the weather dice would be statistically improbable but what we'be been seeing here on Cape Fear lately is the relentless rapid dissipation of showers and thunderstorms as they move into the stable marine layer that's been anchored over us.

Also... I was outside just before 6am this morning and saw a rare "land breeze thunderstorm." It was beautiful...just sitting there a few miles south of me right on the coast with the over-the-horizon sun lighting it up, and that again highlighted with cloud to cloud lightning. The storm later dissipated with the rising sun.

Y'all be good now and nature'll give ya a treat.

:)

Wednesday CAE picked up .02, yesterday .20. Another chance today and I'm over 5" for the month so far :wub:

Man, I guess the dry lands between the portals are greening up! Way to go. I'm still .03 short of 6 for the month, and that last tiny bit is proving hard to get :) But, the good news is I've had to cancel the desert death challenge, and close the Dunes and Sidewinders Fun Camp for the month. The very best news is the temps. Still at 76 after 10am, and cloudy. Tony

2-4 inches over much of Nashville overnight, I'm at 9" for the last 2 weeks. Drought worries almost over for here.

Where is "here"? Dont know how to relate that rainfall amount without a location.

Didn't you notice his avatar name? He's in the witness protection program. If he told us his location, he'd then have to immediately change it for fear of being caught by...somebody. :bag:

However, based on context clues from his post, I'm guessing he's in the vicinity of the Nashville region.

Seriously, though, a location would be a nice addition to his profile.

Man, I guess the dry lands between the portals are greening up! Way to go. I'm still .03 short of 6 for the month, and that last tiny bit is proving hard to get :) But, the good news is I've had to cancel the desert death challenge, and close the Dunes and Sidewinders Fun Camp for the month. The very best news is the temps. Still at 76 after 10am, and cloudy. Tony

The poor camels are now unemployed :(

I'm not sure this area will top 6" but it will be fun trying :D

Yesterday got lucky with a storm over south Durham. Today, the morning clouds seem to be killing off any chance for storms. A line is developing well south and east over the sandhills and coastal plain. Not what I want to be seeing to be hoping for a 60% chance of storms today. I'm guessing today will be bust, but tomorrow may bring some hope.

Old T-storm complex died, the remains are retarding heating so this may easily screw us out of any redevelopment this afternoon/evening. So much for the slight risk.

I saw FFC seems to think that instability will make it back in time but these things never seem to work out. I know I got .25" from a storm this morning. I'm not sure how much the MCC produced but we got some.

Tri-Cities, TN is at 8.59" of rainfall for the month. 9.73 is the record for the month of July. It was set in 1949. That would be incredible to see that record broken on the heels of the all-time record high being set - breaking the 1952 mark. What a turn around. Another interesting tidbit is that many of the record highs for June and July here were set in the 1940s and 1950s.

Have had the bad mojo the last 4 days.storms splitting and going around me and forming and sitting less than 1/4 mile from the house.have totaled .08 last 4 days,while nearby places had 2-3 inches plus.the higher rain chances today have not panned out.

Keep the faith. I've had zero since last Sat. but just picked up a quick .85 in the last 30 minutes.

Archived