amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
July 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

metalicwx366

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More records falling over here in extreme southeast N.C.

This morning's low of 81F triggered a "greatest number of 80F+ lows in one month" record. KILM hit 101F before 2PM breaking the old daily record of 100F. By the end of the month we're going to have a handful of new all-time records. In fact, we're crushing the old record for "hottest month ever recorded."

Heat indexes are running about 110F at the immediate coast and 116F here in the center of Cape Fear. I've been out three times today doing errands on foot and on my bicycle. It's awfully hot, that's all I gotta say.

My mother has been in the hospital all week so I've been back and forth to Raleigh every day. Got behind in my yard work so I mowed my acre this afternoon. I could almost see the headline.

Stupid Old Man Found Face Down in his Yard

Police Suspect Darwin

Got my first rain in 8 days. Ten minutes of scattered drops in full sun.

What's also maddening is how I've been watching the convection in northern Alabama all afternoon gradually weakening as it approaches Georgia. Hopefully we can squeeze a shower out of it as it comes in but doesn't look very promising. If this doesn't change by the fall, we may have to start calling north Georgia the "land where systems go to die". :axe: Let's hope we get some redevelopment tonight.

Got shutout again tonight IMBY. 9 miles away over at the HS it was flash flooding. I've had less than .19 here at the homestead over the past month. Having to feed cows where the pastures have been toasted. Tonight was the 3rd time a storm dumped 2-4 inches of rain within 13 miles of my house and we got zilch.

By the way for all you HS football fans I just got informed that the NCHSAA passed a rule that no football practice can take place outside if the temp is 90 or above and if ts 88 or 89 only helmets are allowed. I'm researching this now but pray tell when school starts for HS and MS at 3:30-4:00pm is anyone outside the mtns not going to be affected by this rule up until the second week of September. You can avoid it in pre sason by going in the a.m. which is the norm now for most.

Got shutout again tonight IMBY. 9 miles away over at the HS it was flash flooding. I've had less than .19 here at the homestead over the past month. Having to feed cows where the pastures have been toasted. Tonight was the 3rd time a storm dumped 2-4 inches of rain within 13 miles of my house and we got zilch.

By the way for all you HS football fans I just got informed that the NCHSAA passed a rule that no football practice can take place outside if the temp is 90 or above and if ts 88 or 89 only helmets are allowed. I'm researching this now but pray tell when school starts for HS and MS at 3:30-4:00pm is anyone outside the mtns not going to be affected by this rule up until the second week of September. You can avoid it in pre sason by going in the a.m. which is the norm now for most.

I got missed today as well. Not quite a shutout. I totaled .03". lol I have 3.61" for the month though. My wettest month of the year by quite a bit.

What's also maddening is how I've been watching the convection in northern Alabama all afternoon gradually weakening as it approaches Georgia. Hopefully we can squeeze a shower out of it as it comes in but doesn't look very promising. If this doesn't change by the fall, we may have to start calling north Georgia the "land where systems go to die". :axe: Let's hope we get some redevelopment tonight.

Finally had a side swipe around 7 and got .3. Most I've gotten at one time since the 5th. Puts me over 6 inches now for the month, but all except for 1.18 came in the first few days. Don't think I'll be beating out the Cheez unless I get a storm to hit me full on.

I'm tempted to pull out the moles again, but I want to save that mojo for winter, if I can :) T

Been having a train of storms for the last couple of hours. New development to my west again and already have water standing in the parking lot at work. Dopplar estimating 2.5 inches in the last couple of hours and its still pouring and more to come.

My mother has been in the hospital all week so I've been back and forth to Raleigh every day. Got behind in my yard work so I mowed my acre this afternoon. I could almost see the headline.

Stupid Old Man Found Face Down in his Yard

Police Suspect Darwin

Hey, Mr. Burns, I hope your mom is ok now. And, look, I hate to break it to you, but going to sleep while mowing the lawn is decidedly dangerous. Just hope you aren't using a self propelled mower.

86 and mostly uncloudy at 1pm. T

Lunch??!! At 1:51 AM?? I know people eat "lunch" at all times of the day, but you've really taken it to the extreme! :lol:

The joys of a shift worker!

Theres a drainage ditch that run through the entire city that I live in. It dumps into the tar river right beside one of the bridges over the river. Well this morning it was running like a torrent and had washed all kinds of trash and debris out into the river. Was really a sad sight.

The joys of a shift worker!

Theres a drainage ditch that run through the entire city that I live in. It dumps into the tar river right beside one of the bridges over the river. Well this morning it was running like a torrent and had washed all kinds of trash and debris out into the river. Was really a sad sight.

Good thing we elected Republicans to help clean up this state's environmental record.

Looking at thr radar you would think that there is no way its not going to rain. I wonder if we manage to not see a drop. Just never ending thunder. Its raining in the area just not in my backyard or neighborhood.

Edit: A flood advisory is in effect a little north of here. Only saw a brief light shower.

Hey, Mr. Burns, I hope your mom is ok now. And, look, I hate to break it to you, but going to sleep while mowing the lawn is decidedly dangerous. Just hope you aren't using a self propelled mower.

86 and mostly uncloudy at 1pm. T

Just to be clear, is the bolded a weather ob or a personal description?

Hey, hey; welcome back neighbor!

Anything that breaks the cap should be violent but I don't see it happening on Cape Fear. The good stuff has all been inland this summer.

Have you noticed there's something "wrong" with the sea breeze this year? It's not acting like summers past. My area is usually quite breezy and that sea breeze often brings pockets of notably cooler air with it but I haven't seen it this summer.

I use the close-up satellite loop here http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ilm/ to examine the sea breeze boundary and have noticed it arrives later in the day than summers past, and when it does arrive it struggles to move inland. Cape Fear itself also seems to disrupt it.

Furthermore, the sea breeze seems to have very little vertical penetration. Instead of generating thundershowers and thunderstorms, it seems only to generate a small cloud line. Inland thunderstorms roaring towards the coast suffer from sudden death syndrome as soon as they cross that line; hence our amazing dry spell.

We can see today is going to be "another one of those days."

>snip<

I think Our WX "Red-Taggers" would call what We are experiencing, *Pattern Change*.....

I've lived on the Coast MOST of my life...

Used to back in the 70's 80's, up till the 2001 year(s), Summer-Time breezes were almost ALWAYS from the south-south-east... =Vertical-stack of the moister from the "Sea-Breeze",Classic heating & lift from the LAND =T-Storms...

This doesn't happen anymore, Our "Sea-Breeze" if fighting a South-WEST wind in the Lower Atmosphere... that wasn't there before...

Years back, there were DAILY, T-Stroms in ILM, from the Sea-breeze...

Like today, notice how the T-Storm(s) fell apart as they got closer to the Coast?

I picked up a few Sprinkles..

I wanted to Share these cool Pics from this Months Earlier Seaver Storms going on in Brunswick County..

Taken through the trees these Storms/Clouds were in another County..(I mean the Storm itself was in another county)

They were more "dramatic" looking before I grabbed the Camera to take a couple shots..

They were Roiling & boiling up above Me, seriously these shots do what I saw, no Justus...

post-2767-0-39471900-1343524354_thumb.jp

post-2767-0-94469900-1343524367_thumb.jp

Pretty decent storms through here earlier. I thought I'd get missed, but with the help of some redevelopment/training, ended up getting about two hours of rain. There was a lot of lightning for the first half, mostly intra-cloud, though. We had a period of gusty winds in the middle. That was nice. The power lines are underground here, so no threat of power outage. Radar estimates were in the 2-3" range. I can't complain.

Finally cashed in with last night's storm. picked up 1.12"!

Seeing all the hefty reports that have come in the last couple weeks, I did some checking on my Cocorahs stats, and that's the largest one day amount for me this year, and only the 2nd time over 1 inch this year (last time was Feb 5th - 1.10")

I was really surprised with the lack of thunder, given the incredible almost non-stop lightning for a couple hours.

Thunderstorm complex oh so close... huge blob of red on the radar.... plenty of lightning and a gazillion thunderclaps but alas, I only got a sprinkle and a few measly wind gusts. Right on the razor's edge... but a total fail. The birds are chirping now as the great storm heads out into the Atlantic.

Archived