• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
July 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

metalicwx366

Not the greatest coordination between gsp/ffc. Have 60% pops here today while one county next door has 20% and the other has 30% (despite the vort max gsp mentions). Probably FFC's fault if anything since I remember Isohume mentioning it's so hard to coordinate with them.

Past today though they are in good agreement and it's nice to see such high pops for an extended period of time. Just hope I don't get screwed the entire period, which honestly wouldn't surprise me. But already seeing quite a few storms in NW Ga and even one between atlanta and athens (although there isn't much, if any, cumulus clouds except in northwest Ga). But seeing a storm forming so early is hopefully a good sign. Just want to see the cumulus develop.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the greatest coordination between gsp/ffc. Have 60% pops here today while one county next door has 20% and the other has 30% (despite the vort max gsp mentions). Probably FFC's fault if anything since I remember Isohume mentioning it's so hard to coordinate with them.

Past today though they are in good agreement and it's nice to see such high pops for an extended period of time. Just hope I don't get screwed the entire period, which honestly wouldn't surprise me. But already seeing quite a few storms in NW Ga and even one between atlanta and athens (although there isn't much, if any, cumulus clouds except in northwest Ga). But seeing a storm forming so early is hopefully a good sign. Just want to see the cumulus develop.

Funny you mention that because it took GSP a couple days but they're gradually changing their forecast for the Sunday/Monday timeframe. Earlier in the week GSP was hinting that the next front would sag far enough to virtually eliminate the pops from its northern half of the CWA.

Had a great storm here last night that resulted in a rare MRX issued flash flood warning. I've only ever seen a handful of those issued. The last one here was during TS Lee. Got over 3 inches of rain, but despite this, the constant lightning apparently caused fires all over the city.

Hey, Cheez, you and I have done well this month, after both getting the rain shaft nearly the whole year. I'm almost due south of downtown, are you almost due north? That narrow band that rocked me on the 3rd was only a few miles wide down here, and it was running due north, though I don't know how far north of Atl.

It is clouding up here, but nothing that is climbing to the vault yet. I had .16 last night so I'm now at 5.96 for the month. Sure would like to get over the top tonight :)

There is the making of a sun dog I just spotted, so I'll be checking out there again soon. Still in the mid 80's, but the humidity makes it feel in the 90's. Still, I'll take this for July easy. Tony

Hey, Cheez, you and I have done well this month, after both getting the rain shaft nearly the whole year. I'm almost due south of downtown, are you almost due north? That narrow band that rocked me on the 3rd was only a few miles wide down here, and it was running due north, though I don't know how far north of Atl.

I live just inside the Dekalb line due east of downtown. As I stated in my recent post, up to almost 7" now for July.

Alrighty then, the race is on :) You've gotten hit over and over, and I got 4+ in one go, .9 in one go, and the rest in tenths at a time. I've got an inch to make up, and I can hear the thunder! You've got professionalism and science.... and I've got the moles, lol., but we've added a met to the southside of town, so I like my chances.

Mid 80's thru the afternoon.... you just can't buy that in July too often! T

After a couple of days without rain I picked up 1.5" tonight. I could look to my west during the downpour and see the sunset. The cutoff was drastic but luckily I was on the rainy side this time. Lots of close lightning and pretty breezy as well. My monthly total is over 6" now.

Barely got missed yesterday....again. I hate slow moving storms or ones that don't move at all. I had storms to the west and east/ne of me yesterday and didn't get anything. The ones to the east was no more than a few miles away too but they just sat there and didn't move an inch. What was even more frustrating though was that there was no cumulus surrounding the storm like you usually see..ie outflow boundaries and so forth.

I did get that one good rain event last thursday night that actually put down more than sprinkles or a tenth or two that dries up in 2 days but that's been pretty much it this month here.

Hopefully the high chances we have will finally give me something but when in the lookout screw zone, it's best not to be too hopeful. In addition, is the fact there is a lot of mid level clouds this morning so it's not a good sign for widespread coverage.

I got a quick 2.06" yesterday evening. Around 4:55pm the heaviest rainfall was at 0.81"/hr. I was picking up furniture and I got stuck in it...girlfriend didn't want to get out of the truck. Lol. Also saw amazing cloud to ground lightning with that cell.

Southwest VA and Tri-Cities in Tennessee better prepare...current MCS over Kentucky still diving southeast. It starting to show that climo trend of weakening over Southeast KY and spitting out an outflow boundary redeveloping over the Tri Cities. I think chances are at least 50/50 that it happens.

MRX_loop.gif

Southwest VA and Tri-Cities in Tennessee better prepare...current MCS over Kentucky still diving southeast. It starting to show that climo trend of weakening over Southeast KY and spitting out an outflow boundary redeveloping over the Tri Cities. I think chances are at least 50/50 that it happens.

MRX_loop.gif

lookin pretty good on LR composite

post-233-0-89581700-1342737109_thumb.png

Listening to the storms over Fuquay --- they look like they'll miss us to the NW. I'm guessing the cluster of storms around Albemarle will fizzle out before they get here with the loss of heating. I'll be in Concord the next 3 days - hoping that something falls in this yard while I'm gone. Exactly zero precip here over the last 7 days. As disgusted as I am with the lack of rain here, I'm sure glad to see my friends down South of here cashing in on some hefty amounts over the last 2 weeks.

Listening to the storms over Fuquay --- they look like they'll miss us to the NW. I'm guessing the cluster of storms around Albemarle will fizzle out before they get here with the loss of heating. I'll be in Concord the next 3 days - hoping that something falls in this yard while I'm gone. Exactly zero precip here over the last 7 days. As disgusted as I am with the lack of rain here, I'm sure glad to see my friends down South of here cashing in on some hefty amounts over the last 2 weeks.

We got the shaft in H'boro as well... but had a excellent lightning show with the cell that formed over Chapel Hill.

Sorry Justin, :(

I ended up with .43" late yesterday. Today looks to be the first day without rain in 9 days.

3.47" for the month

FFC really dropped the ball today. This is what they said this morning :

THEN CONVECTION WILL SPREAD NORTH

AND SOUTH ALONG OUTFLOWS...RESULTING IN THAT NUMEROUS COVERAGE BY

MID AFTERNOON AND PERSISTING THROUGH THE EVENING BEFORE GRADUALLY

DISSIPATING SOMETIME AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Looks to me like today was one of the most inactive days in a long time. They lowered my pops tonight from 60 to 50%. Not sure where this rain is going to come from because most of North GA is completely dry right now. I would think pops need to be lowered to about 0%

Archived