Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any SE storm chasers this season? I'm interested in tagging along/helping out any way I can if anyone is trying to make some plans...I've never chased and need to start somewhere....would like to actively chase by next summer, as I'll have some good money to throw into it by then (for equipment, rentals, etc.)

Any SE storm chasers this season? I'm interested in tagging along/helping out any way I can if anyone is trying to make some plans...I've never chased and need to start somewhere....would like to actively chase by next summer, as I'll have some good money to throw into it by then (for equipment, rentals, etc.)

You talking chasing all over the SE or just the Carolinas etc? Tthere are several of us that chase locally and all have at least one tornado intercept under our belts but its hard to do around here. My advice is start locally if you got radar on your phone and try to run down some storms and just get use to the roads and stuff around the coutryside. Go out and chase all the pop up crap we get this summer you will prolly even luck out and get some hail cores/DB etc. There are usually 3-4 really good storm days every June/July especially when a front hangs up and washes out over NC, the summertime stuff here can get pretty severe but its usually spur of the moment type chasing.

Big time T-Storms going currently in Tennessee. One storm as a TOR warning attached.

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

727 PM CDT SUN JUN 3 2012

TNC135-181-040045-

/O.CON.KOHX.TO.W.0052.000000T0000Z-120604T0045Z/

PERRY TN-WAYNE TN-

727 PM CDT SUN JUN 3 2012

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHERN WAYNE AND

SOUTHERN PERRY COUNTIES UNTIL 745 PM CDT...

AT 723 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED 12 MILES NORTHWEST OF WAYNESBORO...MOVING EAST AT

15 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

WAYNESBORO.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF IN A MOBILE HOME...A VEHICLE OR

OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT

YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

Big time T-Storms going currently in Tennessee. One storm as a TOR warning attached.

I would love some excitement to make its way down here (not to mention some rain), but our luck with downstream complexes has been absolutely miserable this year so far. You figure one will get us eventually. Looks pretty nasty over southern Tennessee.

post-1217-0-90495100-1338771345_thumb.gi

Wondering if anyone else is up watching the cells coming through TN down into N. Alabama and N. GA. Tornado warning expired in West Tennessee about 15 mintues ago. Flash Flood warnings and svr. storm warnings are up. Pretty large swath of rain coming through TN as well.

Looks like we will have a chance for some more sever wx tomorrow afternoon.

I think the next 3-4 days will provide several chances for MCS development...IMO Arkansas, Tennessee, Northern AL/MS and Western GA looks like some good targets. However the Apps could receive an MCS as well at some point...models rarely depict the specifics accurately in this type of synoptic setup...

Just looking at the area around Southern GA into Northern Fl. Seeing potential for some severe weather across this region starting today through the 6th of June. Currently in this area seeing LI's pushing into the -6 zone, MLCAPE around 2000 j/kg, and SFC CAPE around 1500 j/kg. Potential to see hail up to about 1.5" and some strong winds up to around 70mph in this region. Thoughts for this area?

Just looking at the area around Southern GA into Northern Fl. Seeing potential for some severe weather across this region starting today through the 6th of June. Currently in this area seeing LI's pushing into the -6 zone, MLCAPE around 2000 j/kg, and SFC CAPE around 1500 j/kg. Potential to see hail up to about 1.5" and some strong winds up to around 70mph in this region. Thoughts for this area?

We are in a severe thunderstorm watch now. Nasty looking storms with severe tstorm warnings popping up.

TORNADO WARNING

GAC029-179-183-041800-

/O.NEW.KCHS.TO.W.0010.120604T1723Z-120604T1800Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC

123 PM EDT MON JUN 4 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTH CENTRAL BRYAN COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA...

CENTRAL LIBERTY COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA...

NORTH CENTRAL LONG COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA...

* UNTIL 200 PM EDT

* AT 123 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 9 MILES WEST OF

FORT STEWART...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

* SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...

FORT STEWART...HINESVILLE...FLEMINGTON...MCINTOSH...MIDWAY...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE SHELTER AS THUNDERSTORMS APPROACH.

REPORT HAIL...DOWNED TREES...LIMBS...AND POWER LINES DIRECTLY TO THE

CHARLESTON NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AT

WHEN IT IS

SAFE TO DO SO.

&&

LAT...LON 3192 8131 3175 8136 3187 8178 3193 8177

TIME...MOT...LOC 1723Z 281DEG 40KT 3189 8171

Speaking of berries, where are the peaches? No Eastern peaches at Harris Teeter this year.

Check out your local farmer's markets. Last week our markets started getting the early season peaches (the varieties needing minimal cold-hours and ripen quickly). Watsonia Farms over in SC has been shipping for a couple of weeks, and the CSA says we'll be packing GA-grown early peaches in tomorrow's boxes (YUM!!!!). (time to move this over to banter?)

2" of rain in the past few days, 1/2" of it overnight and this morning - everything green is growing like gangbusters and enjoying the lack of hot-hot days.

Check out your local farmer's markets. Last week our markets started getting the early season peaches (the varieties needing minimal cold-hours and ripen quickly). Watsonia Farms over in SC has been shipping for a couple of weeks, and the CSA says we'll be packing GA-grown early peaches in tomorrow's boxes (YUM!!!!). (time to move this over to banter?)

2" of rain in the past few days, 1/2" of it overnight and this morning - everything green is growing like gangbusters and enjoying the lack of hot-hot days.

The grass, plants, trees, etc. are certainly looking a lot healthier now than they were on June 4, 2011.

Lets try this again.

2dbphrm.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1069

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1042 AM CDT TUE JUN 05 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...FAR EASTERN AL/FAR NORTH FL AND CENTRAL/SOUTHERN GA

TO FAR SOUTHERN SC

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 051542Z - 051745Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND SOME SEVERE HAIL WILL

GRADUALLY INCREASE BY EARLY AFTERNOON. THIS SHOULD ESPECIALLY BE THE

CASE ACROSS CENTRAL/SOUTHEAST GA TO FAR SOUTHERN SC. A SEVERE TSTM

WATCH WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED FOR AT LEAST PORTIONS OF THE REGION BY

17Z-18Z.

DISCUSSION...AMID RELATIVELY AMPLIFIED NORTHWESTERLY FLOW

ALOFT...DUAL WEAKENING MCV/S EXIST ACROSS THE REGION LATE THIS

MORNING...ONE ACROSS SOUTHERN AL AND ANOTHER OVER NORTH GA PER

SATELLITE/RADAR IMAGERY. AHEAD OF THESE MCV/S...AND ALONG/SOUTH OF A

SOUTHWARD SAGGING FRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS GA/SC...TSTMS ARE LIKELY

TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE/INTENSITY BY EARLY AFTERNOON WITHIN A

PROGRESSIVELY UNSTABLE BOUNDARY LAYER. AS TEMPERATURES QUICKLY WARM

THROUGH THE 80S F...MODIFICATIONS TO 12Z REGIONAL OBSERVED SOUNDINGS

REFLECT THE POTENTIAL FOR MLCAPE TO 1500-3000 J/KG...ESPECIALLY

ACROSS SOUTHERN GA/FAR NORTH FL. AS STORMS

INCREASE/MATURE...MODERATELY STRONG NORTHWESTERLY MID/HIGH LEVEL

FLOW...ESPECIALLY COLLOCATED WITH THE SOUTHWARD SAGGING FRONTAL

ZONE...WILL SUPPORT EAST-SOUTHEASTWARD MOVING TSTM CLUSTERS...AND

PERHAPS A COUPLE OF BRIEF SUPERCELLS ESPECIALLY NEAR THE

FRONT...WITH WIND DAMAGE AND MARGINALLY SEVERE HAIL POSSIBLE.

..GUYER/MEAD.. 06/05/2012

The storms are hitting the same areas that got hit yesterday. Everything avoids my area including the storm that passed just like 2 miles to the north of here.

TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN TATTNALL COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 200 PM EDT

* AT 111 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO...NEAR GORDONIA

ALTAMAHA STATE PARK...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

well havent posted in a while since nothing much has been going on lol. not a lot of exciting weather, but picked up another .78" of rain. no real huge storms, but i have to say getting rain every couple of days so far this summer has been great! everything is green green green lol. having to cut the grass a lot more than last year thats for sure :)

while i would love to see some big storms, i am almost inclined to say let this type of pattern continue. i would rather have consistent rain for the lawns etc. other than dry for weeks with a big storm every couple of weeks.

Archived