Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
SNE Convective/Thunder thread

free_man

I want a pony.

Oops, wrong thread.

What I meant to say was, how often does the SPC do a retrospective look at the accuracy of their forecast probability percentages, to see whether in hindsight when they have assigned (for example) a 30% probability of hail or 5% probability of tornado activity, do the long-term results show that those probabilities are realistic and skillful?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so pissed my cell phone is broken. I literally bought that phone just for days like today...had 3G internet so we could get radar on the go, very good graphics so I could see the radar clearly, and I could post here from the car, and even better...I could take pics/video and upload them to the internet right away.

This is why probably going somewhere in like central Berkshire county is good to start off...easy access to get into southern VT if needed, or head into eastern NY, or even slide down into SW MA if needed. Great thing too is with it being Tuesday traffic should be minimal.

i'm just thinking you might have a timing problem if you are too far east. getting to albany opens up i-90 e/w, i-88 sw/ne and i-87 for you n/s.

9z SPC SREF...doesn't show much love for CT but for areas out west it looks nice.

SREF_03HR_SVR_PROBS__f012.gif

There is an outflow boundary pushing south. That may be a focus for storms that the SREF doesn't model right now. Could see another line from across PA and ctrl NY along the cold front perhaps.

I am so pissed my cell phone is broken. I literally bought that phone just for days like today...had 3G internet so we could get radar on the go, very good graphics so I could see the radar clearly, and I could post here from the car, and even better...I could take pics/video and upload them to the internet right away.

Dude ..take it back and exchange it..WTF?

You did buy insurance on it correct?

2 different worlds. Nice to be on the correct side of it

Socked in here at work in Leominster... high tds, relatively low temps... pretty blah

Fully expecting nothing much of interest for my area. Maybe some rain...a rumble of thunder

Last night's itty bitty cell overperformed imho. 10 minutes of loud thunder and lightning and 0.2" of rain.

Socked in here at work in Leominster... high tds, relatively low temps... pretty blah

Fully expecting nothing much of interest for my area. Maybe some rain...a rumble of thunder

Last night's itty bitty cell overperformed imho. 10 minutes of loud thunder and lightning and 0.2" of rain.

That's an epic outbreak.

Hopefully the storm chasers get what they're after today. Yesterday was one big dud.

i'm just thinking you might have a timing problem if you are too far east. getting to albany opens up i-90 e/w, i-88 sw/ne and i-87 for you n/s.

That's not a bad idea...b/c if we did have to jolt north and we were in central Berkshire county or so it would still probably take 45 minutes or so to get to that area and that's alot of wasted time.

There is an outflow boundary pushing south. That may be a focus for storms that the SREF doesn't model right now. Could see another line from across PA and ctrl NY along the cold front perhaps.

Yeah the models may not pick up on some of the smaller scale features. For example, the SPC SREF is meh on any tornado potential, however, it might not pick up the enhanced helicity in the vicinity of the warm front and such.

Dude ..take it back and exchange it..WTF?

You did buy insurance on it correct?

Since it was a pay as you go phone you can't get insurance on those phones. Just a complete disaster. I can do a few things with it but I didn't pay my bill for this month so there was no use, I can however, use it to connect to wifi but it will be hard to read maps and text b/c everything is all scrambled.

You guys remember when today the medium range data at one point was indicating the potential for strong wind to move into the decaying EML? Today was so close to being a moderate risk day.

Yeah the models may not pick up on some of the smaller scale features. For example, the SPC SREF is meh on any tornado potential, however, it might not pick up the enhanced helicity in the vicinity of the warm front and such.

This is especially true of an ensemble mean.

Nasty, hot, and humid here, 80°F/70°F heading toward a high in the mid to upper 80s. Classic WNE warm sector day with hazy sun and light SW winds. Unlike yesterday, hopefully we'll have something to show for it.

Not a whole lot of wind shear, but with ample CAPE, hopefully we'll get some 50K footers with strobe lightning and hail. These high CAPE, low shear environments lead to these pulsers which are very hard to forecast as they tend to follow outflow boundaries and pop up and die quickly.

Storms should have no problem firing along a low amplitude surface shortwave currently over central new york. You can already see some cumulus forming along this boundary on vis. The HRRR was also showing some enhanced helicity in the Mohawk valley that could aid the development of some supercells.

Nasty, hot, and humid here, 80°F/70°F heading toward a high in the mid to upper 80s. Classic WNE warm sector day with hazy sun and light SW winds. Unlike yesterday, hopefully we'll have something to show for it.

Not a whole lot of wind shear, but with ample CAPE, hopefully we'll get some 50K footers with strobe lightning and hail. These high CAPE, low shear environments lead to these pulsers which are very hard to forecast as they tend to follow outflow boundaries and pop up and die quickly.

Yup--up to 74.4/70 here. I thought I might make it through May without hitting 80.0. Wit the bright sun today and already as hot as it is, I think that will go down. Alas.

Nice breeze on the deck though. Outside office, ftw.

In the spirit of topic-specific threads, I think we should start a new one that deals with recommendations for where Wiz should set up camp.

Storms should have no problem firing along a low amplitude surface shortwave currently over central new york. You can already see some cumulus forming along this boundary on vis. The HRRR was also showing some enhanced helicity in the Mohawk valley that could aid the development of some supercells.

Yeah...looks like some stuff trying to get going just SE of BUF. And of course...that stuff back in NE Ohio looks healthy.

Archived