• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
SNE Convective/Thunder thread

free_man

Do you live in nrn NJ? I think that area has a chance at decent storms.

I actually moved further south into NJ but I am planning to be in N NJ this evening.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was good to see Ryan, down by OKX. The models really weaken the EML during the day. I can't really see why other than downstream stuff in the OV, but I guess crappy lapse rates could advert in from PA. Still, I think near 6.5-7C/KM are possible I guess.

The soundings this morning are impressive and the RAP seems to have a nice handle of them. All available guidance brings in the crappy lapse rates swiftly. I wouldn't mind 6.5-7 C/KM mid level lapse rates if the deep layer shear was 40+kts.

I think wind fields are just too weak down here for any tornado potential. I agree with the 5% contour up toward VT though.

30% hail/wind is a touch too far south I think particularly down by NJ. That said big CAPE may be able to maintain storm organization with a cold pool south of best deep layer shear.

The soundings this morning are impressive and the RAP seems to have a nice handle of them. All available guidance brings in the crappy lapse rates swiftly. I wouldn't mind 6.5-7 C/KM mid level lapse rates if the deep layer shear was 40+kts.

Absolutely. We'll see what happens, but I like western areas of SNE right now..into srn VT and NH.

The text from the SPC suggests 7 C/KM mid level lapse rates and 30-40 knots of deep layer shear. That certainly does not pertain to NJ. We are going to need a cold pool driven cluster to get severe wind down this way. Interesting probabilities though...

The text from the SPC suggests 7 C/KM mid level lapse rates and 30-40 knots of deep layer shear. That certainly does not pertain to NJ. We are going to need a cold pool driven cluster to get severe wind down this way. Interesting probabilities though...

Agreed.

Just woke up...WOW at the SPC outlook. Guess I'll have to look harder now to figure a spot to go to for this afternoon. If we're going north we should make that decision soon.

Good luck today. These were the probabilities we thought we would see for yesterday. I would head to anywhere you know localized pressure falls will locally back the winds underneath moderate low-mid level speed shear.

If I was Wiz I'd think about chasing (consider he chases on see text days). Maybe start off in Pittsfield?

We could do that.

Was just discussing with my friend about perhaps SW VT but Pittsfield sounds good. I used to go there all the time in middle school b/c my friend had a summer home outside that area.

I think wind fields are just too weak down here for any tornado potential. I agree with the 5% contour up toward VT though.

30% hail/wind is a touch too far south I think particularly down by NJ. That said big CAPE may be able to maintain storm organization with a cold pool south of best deep layer shear.

Yeah I think that's HMs hope...at least up in nrn NJ areas. I think they are ok for storms late today. Up here, those lapse rates combined with modest shear are plenty for strong winds. I agree about the TOR probs...probably not that conducive for something like that, but looks like a good wind/hail day.

Absolutely. We'll see what happens, but I like western areas of SNE right now..into srn VT and NH.

Yeah up there is a different story. Watch this morning's convection and where remnant boundaries set up.

SW Vermont will be tricky because the Taconics can obstruct the views to the west. A couple of spots around Bennington might work - just over the border on NY Route 7 is pretty open with low hills.

We could do that.

Was just discussing with my friend about perhaps SW VT but Pittsfield sounds good. I used to go there all the time in middle school b/c my friend had a summer home outside that area.

Archived