• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
15 years ago today.

CoastalWx

This is one I won't forget either. I was working that day, and remember the quick changeover from +RA to HUGE snowflakes, then it just wouldn't quit. The trees were bending and breaking all over the place. And Ginxy, you are right...that stuff was like paste. YUCK!!!!

April 1, 1997, is the 2nd highest 24 hour (calendar day) snowfall here at KBOX at 15.0" (highest one day snow is 15.7" on 2/17/03...PD II). The April Fool's Day total of 23.3" is remains our 2 day heaviest snowfall...#2 is 22.3" from December 6-7, 2003.

--Turtle

What sticks out in my memory was that ~ 2 days prior the storm the high up at UML's weather lab was 63F, and college women were laying out on commons in bikinis sun-bathing.

Yet, the 12z soon to be dead technology DIFAX charts churned off the printer with a 4 contoured bullet hole passing quintessentially under LI, with about 18 dm of thickness implosion centered on ORH, Mass.

I remember walking from the now defunct Smith Hall, to Fox Tower, for mid-day brunch, having those two observations in tandem, before me.

What was a fledgling inevitably failed Meteorologist to do?

<p>

What sticks out in my memory was that ~ 2 days prior the storm the high up at UML's weather lab was 63F, and college women were laying out on commons in bikinis sun-bathing.

Yet, the 12z soon to be dead technology DIFAX charts churned off the printer with a 4 contoured bullet hole passing quintessentially under LI, with about 18 dm of thickness implosion centered on ORH, Mass.

I remember walking from the now defunct Smith Hall, to Fox Tower, for mid-day brunch, having those two observations in tandem, before me.

What was a fledgling inevitably failed Meteorologist to do?

put on a thong and join the Girls?

I was still in New Canaan at the time, and as always, coastal SW CT gets screwed. We had tons of heavy rain that ended as about 4-5" of paste where I was at 250' in elevation. I don't think they had anything more than a slushy coating down by the Sound. Meanwhile just up the road in Ridgefield, they had about 14-15" of paste. Short distance, but it happens all the time down there with those marginal events. I remember trying to convince my folks to move to the Ridgefield-Danbury area after this storm (and many others like it too). Didn't happen of course, but I tried. Glad to be in the Berks now...

That's funny you only had 4-5" at 250' because in Guilford I had nearly a foot at the same elevation. I think we were able to get into some better banding. We had a foot when I woke up after going to bed to rain! I think NWS (and most TV mets) were excpecting virtually no accumulation.

Sunday running around Jamaica Pond in shorts and tee shirt. Monday dawns rainy in the 40s. I was working near the north end that day and flakes began mixing in beginning around Noon. Leaving work around 4 with heavy wet snow as flakes drilled my eardrums when I crossed New Chardon St. Getting home to Brookline and I have already 4-5 inches in the deck and it is slushy. Heading to my friends to watch the NCAA finals and it's snowing very hard. I see a wet spot of pavement. During the game constant tsnow and upon my return home 3 hours later that wet spot is covered with a foot. Probably 25-30 inches at my house when it tapers off by noon the next day. Somewhere I have a picture my wife took of me looking somewhat sad..,,,happy the great dump happened but sadly knowing I would not see snow falling agin for a long time.

One of my fondest childhood memories at the age of 6 :lol: a true :weenie:

I remember the change-over taking place around 1130-12 just E of ORH. The next morning there was a 5'-6' drift against the garage when my dad opened. I have never seen snow drifts like that since (or ~30"-36" inches of snow like in a single snowstorm for that matter ... )

First day at my new apartment at the time in West Roxbury (Boston) after moving back up here from D.C. It seemed like close to 30" but maybe Scott or Will can tell me what the total really was. The day before I was down in Somerset, Ma. and it seemed somewhat warm.

... Being able to live in 2 separate cities from one year to the next to witness 2 epic snowstorms was aweseome: D.C. - Jan, 1996 - Boston - April, 1997

First day at my new apartment at the time in West Roxbury (Boston) after moving back up here from D.C. It seemed like close to 30" but maybe Scott or Will can tell me what the total really was. The day before I was down in Somerset, Ma. and it seemed somewhat warm.

... Being able to live in 2 separate cities from one year to the next to witness 2 epic snowstorms was aweseome: D.C. - Jan, 1996 - Boston - April, 1997

Yeah, you can vouch for those totals in West Roxbury. I was a couple of miles away in Hyde Park. Just epic.

Worst experience ever. @ school PSC and had 1/4" of snow, meanwhile CON had around 12", and of course much more further south. Me and some college buddies were going to go see John Valby in Portsmouth NH that night...needless to say we turned around near CON on 93 around 9-10pm. It was snowing very hard at that point.

We were too far north for that storm (lived in Gardiner, Maine then), though we had 7.5" from a much lesser system about 12 hr ahead of when the bomb went off. Those pics by CoastalWx remain my favorites among all I've seen either on Eastern or Amwx, with the backyard scene and Scooter-with-strapping at the top.

I loved 5 days before that storm, Harvey's discussion during his 'cast was, "Should this feature manage to pass under Long Island...", swinging his outstretched fingers in a subtly parabolic gesture.

haha... eh, yeah -

Him and Barry Burbank were definitely beating the drum for that storm. When I looked out the window and saw it snowing already, I felt like this.....

Great thread.

I wish I had more BOX AFDs / model runs archived leading up to that storm. And all my non-digital photos are buried somewhere.

I was a college student.

I remember students coming back from Spring break, tanned and well into Spring mode.

I remember March 31 the heavy heavy rain and watching big fat flakes begin to mix in late afternoon... it was like watching a miracle unfold.

Then hours of frequent thundersnow that night. Next to Jan 22-23 2005 and one hour Dec 13 2007, some of the most spectacularly intense snowfall I've ever witnessed.

The next afternoon: sledding down the Harvard college stadium on dining room trays... we literally were launched some 20 feet out into the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived