Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
15 years ago today.

CoastalWx

<p>

I was at school and little did I know that I was on store for the greatest snowstorm ever in my life up to this point. Discuss.

the most impossible sick gradient I have ever witnessed. Collins Rd Ashaway RI. 1 mile in length, elevation from 72 feet to 212 feet. Elevation 72 had 4-6 of dripping wet, elevation 212, 24 inches of condo crushing blue paste. When the snow fell it was like pancakes pounding down. This band was brutal. Best surprise ever.

I wish I stared at BOX radar all night. The rates were incredible and lasted so long. I lost power that evening and the sound of the wind and even thunder with pink lightning was something I won't forget. That was the mother of all cutoffs that formed and dug for oil well to our south.

This is one I won't forget either. I was working that day, and remember the quick changeover from +RA to HUGE snowflakes, then it just wouldn't quit. The trees were bending and breaking all over the place. And Ginxy, you are right...that stuff was like paste. YUCK!!!!

April 1, 1997, is the 2nd highest 24 hour (calendar day) snowfall here at KBOX at 15.0" (highest one day snow is 15.7" on 2/17/03...PD II). The April Fool's Day total of 23.3" is remains our 2 day heaviest snowfall...#2 is 22.3" from December 6-7, 2003.

--Turtle

I was still in New Canaan at the time, and as always, coastal SW CT gets screwed. We had tons of heavy rain that ended as about 4-5" of paste where I was at 250' in elevation. I don't think they had anything more than a slushy coating down by the Sound. Meanwhile just up the road in Ridgefield, they had about 14-15" of paste. Short distance, but it happens all the time down there with those marginal events. I remember trying to convince my folks to move to the Ridgefield-Danbury area after this storm (and many others like it too). Didn't happen of course, but I tried. Glad to be in the Berks now...

only 16" here. It really struggled to accumulate through 8pm, better after that but must have abruptly slowed way down 2-3 am. There was ~4" at 8pm then a measured 10.6" at midnight. Like to see a nice full storm radar loop on this one

I just made a crude 18 hour loop, the radar continued for 4 more hours pretty light .Click to animate

Archived