• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread

Typhoon Tip

You schooled me on that. Dobbs Ferry hit 32F on 5/10/2010, much to my surprise. It's easy for there to be a pattern change well beyond when the models can see that will produce frosts/freezes down to NYC. I could see there not being any more temperatures in the 20s for people right outside NYC, however, and that's what it probably takes to kill most species.

the immediate nyc metro was done with freezing temps 3/29 last year and 3/28 in 2010

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearest first order station for me is LGA, and even there the 50% freeze probability is April 1st, so I'd guess everywhere in CT gets at least one more shot at 32 or below. At BDR, the earliest start to the freeze free season was March 21, 1949 followed by a bunch of March 22s (1953, 1954, and 2005). The latest was May 11, 1966. The average date over BDR's 63 years is April 12th with a median date of April 9th.

Greenwich is a lot like Westchester in terms of climate, so I'd guess your 50% last freeze is around April 15th (Dobbs Ferry is April 18th according to NCDC). You might be a little bit warmer since you have more proximity to the Sound than places further west, and a little less elevation than the hilly towns abutting the Hudson. I'd think LGA is much too warm for your area...they have a lot more urban heat island and are further south.

Greenwich is a lot like Westchester in terms of climate, so I'd guess your 50% last freeze is around April 15th (Dobbs Ferry is April 18th according to NCDC). You might be a little bit warmer since you have more proximity to the Sound than places further west, and a little less elevation than the hilly towns abutting the Hudson. I'd think LGA is much too warm for your area...they have a lot more urban heat island and are further south.

It's kind of no-mans land with BDR 30+ miles NE and LGA 20 miles SW of here. On the less hazy days, I can see the Manhattan skyline, the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Briges, and planes going in and out of LGA. The back country (out by HPN) is quite a bit different from the beach (south of Route 1/I-95) as there is some elevation, hollows that radiate well, protection from lots of trees, and a lot less concrete and paved surfaces.

Haven't you seen the climate change forum? All the ice will melt by 2015.

Some of the posts in that forum are so outrageous. Ice will melt by 2015, rivers were frozen solid every winter in Southern Ontario 50 years ago, etc. Ugh. :axe: It's gotten even worse now after this past Winter since apparently this was the first mild Winter in the last 500 years. I'm getting scared.

This would be a torch for May almost lol. Just insanity. Looks like a backdoor cold front comes through and then here comes July! Pretty bold for a 7 day forecast.

7day_wide_629x354.jpg?20120314042916

That forecast would tie the record for earliest 80F at BOS....March 21.

Some of the posts in that forum are so outrageous. Ice will melt by 2015, rivers were frozen solid every winter in Southern Ontario 50 years ago, etc. Ugh. :axe: It's gotten even worse now after this past Winter since apparently this was the first mild Winter in the last 500 years. I'm getting scared.

The nightly news tonight made it seem that way. Move 5 miles inland before its too late. LL will not only be in the tropics he will be the new Atlantis.

It's hard to relax when weenie-ism runs rampant. Of course it's extremely mild, but this anomalous wx will not last forever. We'll be back to near normal by the end of the month and I'm sure some very chilly days as we start April. We'll have mild days too, but lets not go overboard with you guys bringing leaf out talk in two weeks.

For the record, I have not jumped on the leaf out train...I remember a heat wave in April (was it 03?) where it was 90-95 for a week with bare trees....but regarding the point that it won't last forever, sure, but this has gone on since early November without much of a break...why end it now? I'd say May or June....maybe

You guys have been touting a rubber band snapping Kevins rear end since November...it has to end sometime etc. Sure it does at some point but that doesn't mean it has to turn bitterly cold. It can just ease into normal too.

If it returns to normal in May and that's the 50s and 60s who cares....we made it through most of the colder months in a torch.

Next winter will be different, but I don't see cold and snow ruining our futures. Been hearing that for too long and so far larry bird and cold miser haven't walked through that door.

For the record, I have not jumped on the leaf out train...I remember a heat wave in April (was it 03?) where it was 90-95 for a week with bare trees....but regarding the point that it won't last forever, sure, but this has gone on since early November without much of a break...why end it now? I'd say May or June....maybe

Just to be clear, not saying rubber band snap or anything like that. Like I said earlier... I could see April above normal. All I'm saying is this recent spell of insane warmth will be ending later this month for a time. It is possible we warm again later in April.

Just to be clear, not saying rubber band snap or anything like that. Like I said earlier... I could see April above normal. All I'm saying is this recent spell of insane warmth will be ending later this month for a time. It is possible we warm again later in April.

Yeah it looks more roller coaster like by the end of the month and into early April...which is why we said there could be a chance of a snow event then...you get a mean ridge position over the rockies and western plains and you always have the potential for something to cutoff down the east side of it.

I hope to God that we don't.

LOL your obsessed with it being cold. By late April, bring on 70s if its not going to snow. I agree about not wanting 90 unless we get severe t-storms with it.

I'm not obsessed, I just want some NORMAL temps for once, 45-50 won't bother me because that is NORMAL for this time of year, not 70 like we have had in the past few days.

April should be warmer and a great month to get the baseball gear in full workout mode. 60 and 70 is awesome. What I do not want is 80-90 in March, it's bad for vegetation and not normal. Sorry I do not want it cold and snowy either but there are repercussions if we warm early and stay warm, just sayin.

April should be warmer and a great month to get the baseball gear in full workout mode. 60 and 70 is awesome. What I do not want is 80-90 in March, it's bad for vegetation and not normal. Sorry I do not want it cold and snowy either but there are repercussions if we warm early and stay warm, just sayin.

I remember the freeze we had in April 1998 about a week after the epic torch at the end of March. Didn't go so well.

The people who own fruit farms must be scared to death, especially apple orchards, one good freeze while they are in bloom will kill an entire year for them.

Archived