• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread

Typhoon Tip

Yeah I lived immediately across the river from southern Columbia County and we had lots of fun in the woods...lots of secret paths we built and little tree forts, etc. It must have hot and muggy, buggy, etc., in that valley, but that didn't bother you when you were so young.

Yup. Thick forest all around me that the kids (and myself) venture into all of the time.

When I was about 10 I built my first "club" house in the woods where I lived in Columbia County NY. Ticks were not even thought of then.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if everything breaks right...it won't even be close. some of those day 5/6 numbers will be 15F or so too low.

i suppose tuesday could end up cooler in E MA with some sea breeze or onshore flow, so maybe that number is closer to reality or even high?

Maybe the 6pm bounce at Logan? Looks like seabreeze could be very weak.

Just looping through the NAM isobaric evolution ... despite the fun and games about knocking the NAM, however veracious those knocks really are, aside, there's no real reason to assume it will be any more in error than any other guidance type regarding the "overall" over the next 80 hours during this particular era. I think it will take much of the weekend to really rid ourselves of a shakey battle between the current garbage air mass, and the developing continental warmth from the OV. I could even see difused/amorphous sfc boundaries that separate air masses that average colder when scanning from Maine to NYC.

The flow does not become very well conherently westerly/warm transportive until later Sunday, at which time temperatures become more uniformally positive with respect to climo, that afternoon, from SE NH to NYC.

By the way, in a somewhat unrelated matter. This sort of pattern next week could end up being colder in DCA than BOS.

Just looping through the NAM isobaric evolution ... despite the fun and games about knocking the NAM, however veracious those knocks really are, aside, there's no real reason to assume it will be any more in error than any other guidance type regarding the "overall" over the next 80 hours during this particular era. I think it will take much of the weekend to really rid ourselves of a shakey battle between the current garbage air mass, and the developing continental warmth from the OV. I could even see difused/amorphous sfc boundaries that separate air masses that average colder when scanning from Maine to NYC.

The flow does not become very well conherently westerly/warm transportive until later Sunday, at which time temperatures become more uniformally positive with respect to climo, that afternoon, from SE NH to NYC.

By the way, in a somewhat unrelated matter. This sort of pattern next week could end up being colder in DCA than BOS.

yeah i could see that.

we're all behind a backdoor front in march, yet most of us are still going to reach normal highs. lol

Well in March they don't have the punch like they do in April and May. By that point, average temps have gone way up, but SSTs have not responded. Right now, we are only about 6-8 degrees warmer than coldest climo.

Well in March they don't have the punch like they do in April and May. By that point, average temps have gone way up, but SSTs have not responded. Right now, we are only about 6-8 degrees warmer than coldest climo.

yeah you need to draw down the low DP air on NE flow this time of year to really maximize chill on NE winds. otherwise you just end up around 40-45F or so like today which isn't too far from normal.

sometimes we get those dry march air masses advecting in on NE winds and you get added cooling coming across the GOM - that's when BOS, HYA, PVC etc are like 34F while BDL is more like 47F. .

We will see them increase with each set of model runs this weekend. Like always..dry ground, west flow, limited(but not none) vegetation, good mixing..= RECORD HEAT AND MORCH

Well it's a very late September sun. You need closer to 570 thicknesses to get those temps. Sub 564 won't cut it for temps near 89F. I don't see that happening, but I could see someone for a day or so hit low 80s.

Pretty good support coming together for a -NAO tendency developing by the end of the month.

Anyone notice the insane positive AAM tendencies in the last few days? Combination of strong frictional torque in the tropics fighting the intensified circumglobal subtropical ridging, and recent E Asia mountain torque associated with the MJO wave. This MJO wave should survive well into the western Pacific and toward the dateline ... maybe in a fashion that this same wave didn't quite accomplish back in the middle of February (the phase space projection was a bit of an artifact).

Anyway, it looks like we will be breaking down La Nina characteristics of the pattern by early April. In addition, we will be looking for the final stratospheric warming around that time (notice the warming getting primed up around 1hPa). Throw in the global long wave number four pattern taking over, and we have the recipe for 1) a significant pattern disruption, and 2) horrible model agreement / verification.

Interesting times ahead for sure. And the threat for significant wintry events is far from over

Pretty good support coming together for a -NAO tendency developing by the end of the month.

Anyone notice the insane positive AAM tendencies in the last few days? Combination of strong frictional torque in the tropics fighting the intensified circumglobal subtropical ridging, and recent E Asia mountain torque associated with the MJO wave. This MJO wave should survive well into the western Pacific and toward the dateline ... maybe in a fashion that this same wave didn't quite accomplish back in the middle of February (the phase space projection was a bit of an artifact).

Anyway, it looks like we will be breaking down La Nina characteristics of the pattern by early April. In addition, we will be looking for the final stratospheric warming around that time (notice the warming getting primed up around 1hPa). Throw in the global long wave number four pattern taking over, and we have the recipe for 1) a significant pattern disruption, and 2) horrible model agreement / verification.

Interesting times ahead for sure. And the threat for significant wintry events is far from over

Ssshhh...don't tell Kevin.

Where are the 80's???!!! It's 39 here and completely murky. I've put away all tyhe cold weather gear and now I'm screwed. Thanks Kevin, great forecast. These flip flops don't keep my feet very warm.Damn.

The re-torch starts tomorrow and gains steam...enjoy your one day of cold. some spring like showers tomorrow just to kick it off.

Archived