Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put out the grub stuff Tuesday afternoon and it didn't rain. :angry:

Inground lawn watering system to the rescue.

I almost pulled the trigger last night with that sad looking line of showers/tstorms approaching, but glad I waited as they missed/died out. I hate having the stuff sit on the lawn and my yard is too big to manually water it in, so I'm waiting for our next shot of rain...

A week without any watering (other than the .38" that came down over a couple days) and the new grass has held it's own.

Just broke down and got another 100' of hose so I can water areas further down. I won't bother putting down more seed until late August, but hopefully the seeding I did in mid-June will take hold now that I can water it.

Fired up the sprinkler yesterday and today. No burning lawns around here yet, but a week of sun and torch this week will start to take it's toll

Aren't you on a well? My neighbors wouldn't be too happy if I watered my lawn during the middle of summer as many wells not too far from me are so so.

Yup. It's been about 2 weeks since I last mowed. Been trying to water once a week still. Grass is still green but showing some stress in the areas that receive the most sun.

It was a constant grass battle in June with 11.40" of rainfall, Almost had to mow twice a week in between rainfall once the sun came out you could hear it grow

Yes,,but they're made to be used.

Indoor water is not well..just outside..so all i ever use it for is lawn and car washing

Wow, first I have heard of anyone with access to both...pretty cool. I love the taste of well water, free of chlorine that city water has. I do get the occasional grubx taste though...burns a little going down and coming out :(

No worthwhile rain imby since 6/25!

That's not very good, Are you guys down there below normal for rainfall?, None so far in July here and looks like none in the near future as well, We are .28" for the month of July so far, Its feast or famine i guess

I was in the back garden yesterday picking raspberries when I noticed that my golden retriever was eating berries straight off the bushes. Obviously bears do this but I had never seen a dog doing it. He did not seem to have any issues with the thorns and was being gentle with the plant. It makes me glad my vegetable beds are fenced in. I had to fence the vegetable beds last year after he ate all my cauliflower and broccoli plants (and the plastic trays they were in) before I got them in the ground..

That's not very good, Are you guys down there below normal for rainfall?, None so far in July here and looks like none in the near future as well, We are .28" for the month of July so far, Its feast or famine i guess

I'm at 17.5" for the year, not sure if that is above or below at this point in the year. I'd guess a little below...

Looks great Bob.

Mine is burnt off and shot.... Many areas totally brown and dead looking...not sure if the ornamental grass in those areas will ever come back. Maybe the wild field grasses will just claim it.

30 days now with less than .25" total rainfall.

Last night. Looking strong even after 3 day torch. You can see the area I overseeded a couple months ago at the bottom. Came in nicely.

Looks great Bob.

Mine is burnt off and shot.... Many areas totally brown and dead looking...not sure if the ornamental grass in those areas will ever come back. Maybe the wild field grasses will just claim it.

30 days now with less than .25" total rainfall.

That is awful. Must look atrocious. Get some irrigation out there. Let the hair blow in the wind as you water the grass

I was in the back garden yesterday picking raspberries when I noticed that my golden retriever was eating berries straight off the bushes. Obviously bears do this but I had never seen a dog doing it. He did not seem to have any issues with the thorns and was being gentle with the plant. It makes me glad my vegetable beds are fenced in. I had to fence the vegetable beds last year after he ate all my cauliflower and broccoli plants (and the plastic trays they were in) before I got them in the ground..

The long-haired blond mixed-breed we had in Ft.Kent would become thoroughly pink-muzzled as we worked the big patch of wild raspberries across the road from our place. Anything within 2' of the ground was hers, with the payback that she be the one to discover if any bears had overslept in the patch. (The picking only got good after the bears had broken their trails thru that half acre. Fortunately, we never encountered any overfull/overtired bruins.)

Only 0.15" over the past 12 days and probably little/none for the next 5-7. June's 9" rainfall has the water table in good shape but the upper 6-8" is pretty dry. Not looking forward to hauling water (no outdoor spigot, though we catch rainwater) as my spasmed-up lower back sends me nasty messages if I pick up anything heavier than my coffee cup.

Tomatos and beans looking great, the cucurbits replantings pretty sad. The pumpkins-in-pony-poo strategy now has failed twice. Biggest pumpkin I ever grew was planted in fairly fresh cow dung (in Ft. Kent, no less!) so I figured on some big Jack-O-Lantern material. Must be something in the semi-composted horse dressing that's stopping this year's experiment.

The long-haired blond mixed-breed we had in Ft.Kent would become thoroughly pink-muzzled as we worked the big patch of wild raspberries across the road from our place. Anything within 2' of the ground was hers, with the payback that she be the one to discover if any bears had overslept in the patch. (The picking only got good after the bears had broken their trails thru that half acre. Fortunately, we never encountered any overfull/overtired bruins.)

Only 0.15" over the past 12 days and probably little/none for the next 5-7. June's 9" rainfall has the water table in good shape but the upper 6-8" is pretty dry. Not looking forward to hauling water (no outdoor spigot, though we catch rainwater) as my spasmed-up lower back sends me nasty messages if I pick up anything heavier than my coffee cup.

Tomatos and beans looking great, the cucurbits replantings pretty sad. The pumpkins-in-pony-poo strategy now has failed twice. Biggest pumpkin I ever grew was planted in fairly fresh cow dung (in Ft. Kent, no less!) so I figured on some big Jack-O-Lantern material. Must be something in the semi-composted horse dressing that's stopping this year's experiment.

I can relate to the bad back syndrome............ :(

This is almost all one tomato plant with a tiny cherry in the bottom lol. Never seen anything this big. Also only one cucumber plant lol. The other is pepper and basil.

b7c08332.jpg

Just a little urban oasis.

588e069e.jpg

e8583855.jpg

prune that tomato plant, you will get a lot more tomatoes

Joe, how do you know what to prune? I never am sure if I'm picking off the right or wrong things.

You have the axil branch's off the main stem then you have suckers that grow on the axil near the stems that i pinch off the plant, Some folks prune some don't, I only prune the suckers when the plant gets out of hand, You want to yield more and larger tomatoes not more vegetation as it cuts back on the fruit size

Blueberry and blackberry seasons in full swing now. Slightly later than last year. Take advantage, pick your own ftw

Two more weeks for blueberries and raspberries up here. Blackberries (wild) come on in mid August.

Except for when I grow plum tomatos (which I prune not at all), I try to have only one growing tip for each plant, which means pinching off all the "axil shoots" (as Jeff described) as they form. About August 10 I pinch off that one growing tip and any others that form, so as to better ripen before frost what's already on the vine.

My Sweet 100s typically reach 6-7' tall, and sometimes continue to extend, though hanging downward because they've outgrown the stakes. In my shadier Gardiner garden the cherry tomatos would almost get back down to the ground, but the growing season was also a month longer there.

Archived