• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

My lawn is growing out of control. HAving the lawn tractor makes life easier but I still feel like mowing is a huge waste of time. There are so many other things to do. I can't imagine spending countless hours preening and prodding the lawn. A little water, a little sun and it's lush and green without a problem.

How many weeds? Pics

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my fear. I expect it will be a lot but have no frame of reference. If it works out, will add another hour to my mowing time. But, will bring to light the old farmers walls that have been largely hidden fir generations.

With your neverending deforestation project you should just get a stump grinder.

With your neverending deforestation project you should just get a stump grinder.

I knew it was just a matter of time before you posted a picture of some random piece of equipment.. I'm of the mindset to just do a surface skimming (with removal of the stuff), lay down the loam. I'll tackle the rest (aka, the easy part).

I knew it was just a matter of time before you posted a picture of some random piece of equipment.. I'm of the mindset to just do a surface skimming (with removal of the stuff), lay down the loam. I'll tackle the rest (aka, the easy part).

You should just buy a used backhoe. You can use them for a wide array of property maintenance jobs from digging out stumps to moving felled timber to snow removal. You could probably get a machine used for 10-15k.

Guess it's going to run me nearly 3k to get it done. The area's about 300' x 50'. With the additional trees that will be coming down in the process, I'm going to have wood until 2015-2016, ftw. Summer/fall of continual cutting and splitting, ftl.

The guy was kind of funny--saying "you want more lawn to mow?!". It's actually more to expose the walls than anything though.

Guess it's going to run me nearly 3k to get it done. The area's about 300' x 50'. With the additional trees that will be coming down in the process, I'm going to have wood until 2015-2016, ftw. Summer/fall of continual cutting and splitting, ftl.

The guy was kind of funny--saying "you want more lawn to mow?!". It's actually more to expose the walls than anything though.

http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=8323921&lp=mat

Here are a few shots of the area that I'll be tackling. I'm not sure if the pictures of the wall show very well, but I figure when this area is largely cleared and turned into lawn with assorted flowerbeds/rock gardents, they might show pretty well. I'm estimating about 300 of the 800' of wall will end up being exposed. Either way, it will be nice for these to emerge from the woods to be once again on the edge of a pasture as they were (in the native words of Elizabeth Warren) 'many moons ago'..

Here are a few shots of the area that I'll be tackling. I'm not sure if the pictures of the wall show very well, but I figure when this area is largely cleared and turned into lawn with assorted flowerbeds/rock gardents, they might show pretty well. I'm estimating about 300 of the 800' of wall will end up being exposed. Either way, it will be nice for these to emerge from the woods to be once again on the edge of a pasture as they were (in the native words of Elizabeth Warren) 'many moons ago'..

Why not just leave it? Why would you chop down the forest?

LOL--should I put Lesco on those trees? I've got other wooded areas to enjoy.

A number of the trees will remain, and as far as those that go, the wood wil be used for heating in a couple of years.

Doesn't it bother you that you're destroying an ecosystem? If not, you should use dynamite like we do.

post-839-0-53294800-1337524763_thumb.jpg

Doesn't it bother you that you're destroying an ecosystem? If not, you should use dynamite like we do.

LOL. What goes around comes around. They had knocked down all the forests in SNE a couple hundred years ago when they put in all these farmer walls (hence the reason they had to ship in firewood from Canada to Boston). Perhaps in another couple hundred years from now, someone will be clearing them out again.

LOL. What goes around comes around. They had knocked down all the forests in SNE a couple hundred years ago when they put in all these farmer walls (hence the reason they had to ship in firewood from Canada to Boston). Perhaps in another couple hundred years from now, someone will be clearing them out again.

Two wrongs don't make a right Mike. The poor trees, slow growing sugar maples cut down just as they were coming into their own. Tsk tsk.

Archived