• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

You don't want it washing through anything, you want to wash it into the top of the root zone shortly after application. Some will depend on your soil but most every fertilizer company (and professional landscaper, government agency or turf provider) will tell you 1/4 to 1/2" depending on the soil type.

I believe NJ is one of a few states either with laws on the books or in process that have a common sense application...in NJ if you took Kev's advice you just broke the law. I don't know if they've followed through but NY and VT were considering similar measures. I read this about a year ago...only a matter of time before MA/CT follow suit JMHO. http://www.turfmagaz...ticle-6727.aspx

"The law spells out what should be common sense: don’t apply fertilizer during or just before a heavy rain; don’t leave it on an impervious surface like pavement – sweep up any fertilizer that falls onto an impervious surface; don’t apply it to frozen ground. In all of these situations the risk of runoff greatly increases."

http://snyderfarm.ru...izerlawFAQ.html

Sadly they have to pass these types of laws because you've got people that don't know any better or just don't care and pollute the shi* out of the waterways. Most of us live in do-gooder states, so it's only a matter of time before these laws end up passed here too.

My lawn> better than yours. Period

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My lawn> better than yours. Period

Your lawn is the ecological equivalent of the Love Canal as is everyone in the low lands around your house because you fertilize before a flood.

Your lawn is limp and atrophying from lack of use because you make the kids play in the woodchips and in the street because you don't want the grass to bend.

What are you going to do when CT passes their commie/liberal laws against fertilizing and force the fertilizer companies to sell only tree hugger friendly rabbit poop fertilizer? Poor kids will have to take a zipline back and forth to the street.

Your lawn is the ecological equivalent of the Love Canal as is everyone in the low lands around your house because you fertilize before a flood.

Your lawn is limp and atrophying from lack of use because you make the kids play in the woodchips and in the street because you don't want the grass to bend.

What are you going to do when CT passes their commie/liberal laws against fertilizing and force the fertilizer companies to sell only tree hugger friendly rabbit poop fertilizer? Poor kids will have to take a zipline back and forth to the street.

The chances of you showing up at a GTG are better than this fantasy law you are discussing being passed

The chances of you showing up at a GTG are better than this fantasy law you are discussing being passed

Kev they'll have to come up with one soon...all those people you just had wasting their money fertilizing before a flood will cause an algae bloom that may form a land bridge between Montauk and the south coast.

There is a law on the books in NJ. CT will get there eventually....

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0076.htm

Kev they'll have to come up with one soon...all those people you just had wasting their money fertilizing before a flood will cause an algae bloom that may form a land bridge between Montauk and the south coast.

There is a law on the books in NJ. CT will get there eventually....

http://www.cga.ct.go...2012-R-0076.htm

that seems unenforceable--are the cops really going to ticket someone before a storm for fertilzing? what if the storm busts do you get it dismissed? Christ. Worst case you go out after dark and lay down the chemicals.

that seems unenforceable--are the cops really going to ticket someone before a storm for fertilzing? what if the storm busts do you get it dismissed? Christ. Worst case you go out after dark and lay down the chemicals.

You could even fertalize naked if you wanted to after dark...Balls of Lesco dropping in the grass, as your ballz bounce to the left and to the right

Man its just heaven, applied some healthy doses of fertilizer yesterday and today, perfect timing after all the rain, nice slow release.........would have been an absolute waste had I done it Sunday when I got back from vacay.

Like Ireland out there!

Well it's a common sense law in NJ...it's up to the municipalties to establish the fines. Really though it's about not being a moron hence the "common sense" aspect. Don't fertilize before a flooding rain and sweep up the stuff that gets into the street/walkways and reuse. If people JUST did that things would be much better.

lawn is looking much happier after some much needed rain. i have one section that is scorched that will probably not recover. It faces south and is right along the driveway, so it doesnt have a chance. oh well, 99% of the lawn looks great

Gonna get the vegetable garden going tomorrow. Also whatever loam I have left over I'm going to spot overseed some areas. Still haven't prepped the lawn mower for the season. lol. Grass has been slow to grow, which is fine. Not a major priority but hoping for a fall overseed.

Got the veggie garden done.

Planted some tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, peppers, swiss chard, broccoli, and strawberries. See what happens. This is my 1st attempt at this. Should be able to do a little patching of the lawn later on after my daughters game.

Planted some tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, peppers, swiss chard, broccoli, and strawberries. See what happens. This is my 1st attempt at this. Should be able to do a little patching of the lawn later on after my daughters game.

I worked on our vegetable garden today. I haven't put in tomatoes and peppers as I think soil temperatures are a bit low for that, but I planted beans, beets, and more arugula and lettuce (the first planting of those hardy crops was in late March). When I come back home for my birthday on May 11th, I'll add the tomatoes, squashes, and eggplants. I'll be home all summer working on a teaching fellowship so I should have some time for the garden.

Planted some tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, peppers, swiss chard, broccoli, and strawberries.  See what happens.  This is my 1st attempt at this.  Should be able to do a little patching of the lawn later on after my daughters game.

too early for Tomatoes

After all of you have thrown out pics of your Augusta National like lawns; I have a 50 year old house I recently purchased, and with a less than perfect lawn. The front of the yard is is small, and not very level, so I am going to attempt to relevel? I plan on using a roto tiller to turn the soil, rake it, and apply new soil as need. Then seed/and place hay on it; any suggestions????

Archived