joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too early for a feeding? i was thinking of a light winterizer now that its just starting to green up then step one in a few weeks?

Also, I will be planting a new lawn up north any recommend seed?

Way too early, if anything do a light overseed, the plant will be working overtime as it wakes up, no need to put it under even more stress only to crap the bed in 4 weeks. Wait till soil temps are at least 50f to fertilize.

I will need to price out CGM. Looks like prices have gone up significantly.

Couple manuf that are sold here.

Bradfield Organics and Jonathan Green.

I went to the local TruValue that sells Jonathan Green and they had the CGM for like $75.

Totally forgot about Blue Seal. Looks like they have 50# bags for ~$50.

Thats insane Phil, I usually split and transplant ornamental grasses in late march, well im rushing it right now because of all the new growth. I can see the daylillies being up, thats fairly normal, but not black eyed susans, echenacea, sedum, cat mint, coriopsis......its crazy. I dont dare split and transplant most perennials right now we will get frost and freezes, the plants will already by under stress from the transplant.....I see some of my fellow landscapers doing it right now and cringe, its way too early.

Ten more days of this warmth, and people that love their gardens will be covering them up at the end of the month, florida style.

Took this out of the main banter thread since I think it's more of a lawn thread type question but Joe or others, any thoughts....?

I transplanted some tulip bulbs I put in the front yard to a planter on my back porch since I figured the next couple weeks of torch would probably give them enough time to re-grow the roots that I damaged when I transplanted them. If we get some frosts/freezes in late march you think covering them would prevent too much damage? They were too fully grown and their roots were amazingly developed so I couldn't wait any longer to move them to the porch.

My buddy across the street and I are gonna rent the machine and dethatch the lawns the last weekend of MORCH...Amazing all the folks out doing yardwork,, cleaning up still from the OCT bomb..There isn't one yard/household in N CT that didn't have tree damage. It's amazing..

Little league started today with the early spring..Earliest I ever remember

My buddy across the street and I are gonna rent the machine and dethatch the lawns the last weekend of MORCH...Amazing all the folks out doing yardwork,, cleaning up still from the OCT bomb..There isn't one yard/household in N CT that didn't have tree damage. It's amazing..

Little league started today with the early spring..Earliest I ever remember

I didn't realize you could do that with snowcover.

Spent half the day raking and cleaning up. Got about 3/4 of the yard done. Hopefully will finish this week. Looks like my Forsythia will bloom later this week. Amazed that the amount of growth in some plants. Daylilies are like 1-2" tall already. Will probably put down CGM next weekend along with Calcium(Mag-I-Cal). One thing I took note of is everything is dry. A good soaking rain would be nice right now. Fire hazards/danger are going to be bad this week.

Put out the Lesco last fall for the first time based on the recommendations from last years lawn thread. Looking good with some big time green up this weekend. Best I've had in 15 years living here. :thumbsup:

The torch is obvioulsy a big help.

Any opinions on how the big time + anomolies ( and late grass dormancy last fall) will affect lawns this year?

Put out the Lesco last fall for the first time based on the recommendations from last years lawn thread. Looking good with some big time green up this weekend. Best I've had in 15 years living here. :thumbsup:

The torch is obvioulsy a big help.

Any opinions on how the big time + anomolies ( and late grass dormancy last fall) will affect lawns this year?

Nice..it's amazing how well the Lesco products work..The lawns in the hood here that I have using look great with plenty of green up.

It shouldn't have much effect at all on how this years lawns produce. It actually might be better overall without a solid deep down freeze..less stress on the roots

Poor MRG...his snow gone by mid March for the season..ski resorts shutting earliest in history..and he';s got dandilions already growing in his lawn

Yeah, but don't forget there's a brutal onslaught of winter coming....at the end of the month when the MJO shakes hands with the SSW and the CSI.

I actually have full fledged dandilions in growth already. UNREAL. Fertilized yesterday.

Archived