joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a great weekend to get some seeding done with the rain coming in this week.

Any thoughts on how to rid myself of some knotweed that's in an area of my lawn? The stuff is the worst!

Jjust chased the cows away for the second time today (only 7:15). I wonder if their farmer would mind if I used a bb gun on them. It would be much more enjoyable for me, and I could do it from the comfort of my deck rather than having to chase them--coffee sloshing all over the place as I do so.

I just eliminated knotweed from my property this year. Get some Roundup concentrate which is 50% glycosomething (as opposed to 1-2% contained in ready to use Roundup). Cut the weed off about 2' from the ground and inject it with the concentrate. Watch it melt.....

LOL. I guess it wasn't growing in your lawn? I don't want to kill my grass.

8 days later, my newly planted seed is sprouting nicely. ...some nice cool days along with rain (and my watering) has done it's job.

I did some overseeding just before the rains on Saturday. Wished I had done it a week or two earlier. Plus, I was about 75 lbs short on seed. So, il'l be doing some more this weekend I guess. Runing out of time though.

• 2 weeks later...

New Turf from Kingston RI turf farm, URI #2, being installed at work on our roof top terrace.What is cool is while at URI back n the day while studying Environmental Science I worked as an intern with the AG dept developing URI#2. I worked with the RI State climatologist studying precip events at Kingston gathering data that the AG dudes used.

This has been the best season for lawns in memory. Just wall to wall green, lushness..March thru October mowing season..Amazing. It looks as good now as it did in May

I was thinking the same thing recently. I was thinking about organic fertilizer, but then I just decided to try mulching instead of bagging all the time. Seems to be working. In any case, it's cheaper than fertilizer, and it takes less time. I'll probably go back to bagging for leaf pickup in October.

I was just out cutting my back grass and doing leaf clean up when I came across this snake that I nearly ran over with my tractor by accident:

S1_zps80216054.jpg

S2_zpsac61c77c.jpg

I am not sure what type of snake it is. I caught it, took these pictures and released it into the woods to avoid killing it with the tractor.

Garter snakes.. I have them..and I hit them with the tractor

• 3 weeks later...

Archived