• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

Two more weeks for blueberries and raspberries up here. Blackberries (wild) come on in mid August.

Few things better than wild Maine low-bush blueberries.

Last year at this time the wild blackberries here were just past peak. This year for whatever reason they won't peak for another 7 days, but I was able to get the first ripe ones of the year yesterday evening.

High bush blueberries here also have a ways to go before the peak. They are very abundant and sweet however, and it looks like it will be quite a year. They should be finishing up right as your season begins. Blackberries are about average, and strawberries were average to below after last season's banner crop.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is almost all one tomato plant with a tiny cherry in the bottom lol. Never seen anything this big. Also only one cucumber plant lol. The other is pepper and basil.

b7c08332.jpg

Just a little urban oasis.

588e069e.jpg

e8583855.jpg

Nice looking garden, Scott. Are you the gardener or your wife?

Too bad this thread will be moved to OT

LOL. If we provide an observation on ours posts, doesn't that make it weather-related?

69.9/65

Get one of those hose mobiles..You just reel it up when you're done using it..and then you don't have unsightly hoses everywhere

Well that pic was after heavy heavy watering. I have one of those things mounted on the side of the place to wrap the hose around, but I have over 100' of hose. I might get one of those things, however.

Well that pic was after heavy heavy watering. I have one of those things mounted on the side of the place to wrap the hose around, but I have over 100' of hose. I might get one of those things, however.

Kev is a little retentive.I think it's good to leave those hoses out. They might trip up a burglar or home invader trying to get into your condo during the night.

Kev is a little retentive.I think it's good to leave those hoses out. They might trip up a burglar or home invader trying to get into your condo during the night.

I can only imagine all the junk, and trash on your property..Junk cars, old boats/skis/just thrown in piles trashing up the place. Lawn filled with weeds..Just a real eyesore

I can only imagine all the junk, and trash on your property..Junk cars, old boats/skis/just thrown in piles trashing up the place. Lawn filled with weeds..Just a real eyesore

Nah, I'm a well respected and well known member of my community. I was raised in an Italian family where anything that could tarnish the family's reputation was frowned upon. My property is neat and tidy. I own a property that is dedicated solely to my construction business. All equipment is stored there.

I was in the back garden yesterday picking raspberries when I noticed that my golden retriever was eating berries straight off the bushes. Obviously bears do this but I had never seen a dog doing it. He did not seem to have any issues with the thorns and was being gentle with the plant. It makes me glad my vegetable beds are fenced in. I had to fence the vegetable beds last year after he ate all my cauliflower and broccoli plants (and the plastic trays they were in) before I got them in the ground..

My little terrier ridgeback loves raspberries and mulberries but she picks the ripe ones that fall to the ground.

My lawn is holding up well so far, I tried the Jonathan Green grass seed when I fixed my grub affected ares this spring. Seems to be more drought resistant and its supposed to be insect resistant too.

This is going to be a brutal year for acorns..They are already pounding down in bushels..Little tiny ones..with an occasional larger one. Just a disaster beginning to unfold

Really? I have not see a single one. Have to keep my eye out for those little bastards!

• 1 month later...

So a bit random, but my family and I are moving back to CT after being away for a little over a year. Our house never sold and I ended up getting laid off in NY...so yeah...

Anyway, I was greeted by the below attached weed when we got back home. Sucker is as large as a sapling. Anyone know what it is? More importantly, how to properly get rid of it? It was coming out of the ground in about 6 different spots. I took a hacksaw to it and sawed it off to the base, but my concern is it will just return on me unless I dig up the full root. I'm kind of hesitant to do that due to the relatively young shrub we planted in the spot about a year ago...I'd possibly end up having to uproot that shrub as well since it was more or less surrounded by this beast.

Pictures really do the thing justice, since I had already taken out 2/3 of it...just the biggest portion of it remains in the pictures.

post-323-0-30211000-1345744872_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-58703000-1345744889_thumb.jpg

Archived