CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I started the cabin last year (Memorial Day weekend) and built it with friends and family. Still far from being done, but we've been using it since last fall. I'll probably go with a straight seed since the funds have pretty much dried up and not to mention I got my first tax bill over the weekend. I'd like to seed over the leach field and maybe out front. I'm not sure how close to the deck I should seed. The house faces due north (left side of photo)

go with seed, and when you do, rent an overseeder. They work very well for new seed application. i seeded an area last spring, and nothing came in but crabgrass. Rented an overseeder in the fall, and now the lawn looks amazing.

very nice.

Astilbe would be one of my all-time favorite perennials if it would bloom for more than three weeks. Hard to beat its color and the plant is totally indestructable. A few years ago I dug one up and never got around to replanting, so it sat on top of the ground all winter. It wasn't even mad.

I like Astilbe very much, something so great about it's feathery appearance. We have some ancient perennial beds here that are full of Astilbe of various colors. Right now our Japanese Iris are absolutely stunning. Our Faerie Rose bush has never flowered so prolifically. I wish had more time to garden. Maybe when I get old.

very nice.

Astilbe would be one of my all-time favorite perennials if it would bloom for more than three weeks. Hard to beat its color and the plant is totally indestructable. A few years ago I dug one up and never got around to replanting, so it sat on top of the ground all winter. It wasn't even mad.

Agreed, and the fact that it does well in partial shade makes it even better. Hopefully this cool weather will lengthen its bloom.

I like Astilbe very much, something so great about it's feathery appearance. We have some ancient perennial beds here that are full of Astilbe of various colors. Right now our Japanese Iris are absolutely stunning. Our Faerie Rose bush has never flowered so prolifically. I wish had more time to garden. Maybe when I get old.

Our iris are doing very well. My wife planted some roses around our deck which have also come along very nicely.

I think that by Sunday I may be able to seed my "woods-to-lawn" area. What's the best place to buy a lot of seed? I hope I don't need to buy a sh*tload of bags from HD.

Our iris are doing very well. My wife planted some roses around our deck which have also come along very nicely.

I think that by Sunday I may be able to seed my "woods-to-lawn" area. What's the best place to buy a lot of seed? I hope I don't need to buy a sh*tload of bags from HD.

Bump for bolded question. The area in question is probably going to be about 25-30,000 SF, newly seeded.

Nice, Joe. Is that your place? What kind of plants are those?

Thanks Mike, no thats a clients garden that we put in last spring, I was really happy the way things worked out. The last thing I want to do is take care of my own lawn and garden after a long week of work, it looks good but everything that I have planted is basically no maint!

I put my love into our veggies here.

My father had a completely new lawn put in last year. Probably spent $5k. In stupid old yankee foolishness, against my pleadings and the landscapers he didn't put in irrigation. Spend $5k on a lawn, "I'll use sprinklers". FACEPALM.

So at the end of the year he had a pile of crabgrass. Shocking.

So at the beginning of this year, he called the lanscaper back and said " I want the good stuff" nuke the lawn with chemicals just short of a superfund site.

I want to call the landscaper and find out what exactly he put on the lawn. Even with high test applicator license Lesco, I've never seen a lawn grow like this. He's mowing twice a week. The lawn literally glows green. Of course the neighbors are now comparing lawns and next thing you know the entire neighbordhood has the landscaper spraying lawns. So there's an unnamed neighborhood in Hingham that's now a superfund site.

I'm at awe for what he put down. It must be some sort of golf course fertilizer.

Try your local Agway or Grain and Feed.

http://www.shelburnefarmandgarden.com/

Thanks, Bob.

My father had a completely new lawn put in last year. Probably spent $5k. In stupid old yankee foolishness, against my pleadings and the landscapers he didn't put in irrigation. Spend $5k on a lawn, "I'll use sprinklers". FACEPALM.

So at the end of the year he had a pile of crabgrass. Shocking.

So at the beginning of this year, he called the lanscaper back and said " I want the good stuff" nuke the lawn with chemicals just short of a superfund site.

I want to call the landscaper and find out what exactly he put on the lawn. Even with high test applicator license Lesco, I've never seen a lawn grow like this. He's mowing twice a week. The lawn literally glows green. Of course the neighbors are now comparing lawns and next thing you know the entire neighbordhood has the landscaper spraying lawns. So there's an unnamed neighborhood in Hingham that's now a superfund site.

I'm at awe for what he put down. It must be some sort of golf course fertilizer.

We'll see how I do. Suffice it to say that I'm not going to be spending an additional $5000 on top of the coin going to the land clearing.

I've built my own DIY irrigation from PVC at Lowe's using the sprinkler heads they have in the plumbing section. Works great.

What did you use to bury it?

Hope today will finish things up. Some final grading and then I get to go to town with the seed this weekend. It's possible things will run into Monday, but hopefully today will be it.

13" chipper FTBTW.

What did you use to bury it?

Hope today will finish things up. Some final grading and then I get to go to town with the seed this weekend. It's possible things will run into Monday, but hopefully today will be it.

13" chipper FTBTW.

A ditch witch would be my guess, That's what i used to run some Pex water line to get below the frost line

Because I live in the city and have a postage stamp lot, I ran 1" circumferance pvc 3" under the much in the beds bordering the house. I used t-joints to seperate sprinkler heads that cover the entire yard. It's completely expandable too.

I'm going to use an air hose from the compresser in the fall to blow the water out.

All in, I'm probably $200 for irrigation. I have a splitter on the hose with one end having a timer.

cummings3.jpg

Another completely unrelated DIY project I feel I must share because I'm so enthralled with it.

Mini Weber DIY smoker.

http://www.virtualwe...om/miniwsm.html

miniwsm1.jpg

Archived