CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did too. I did a portion of my back yard (~1000sf) that receives a lot of shade. I'm done till the Fall at this point.

I over-seeded an acre on Sunday. Worked out well.

When we clear out the new area the week after next, might be a different situation as that area extends a few hundred feet beyond the reach of my hoses. But, I'm confident things will work out okay with it. If not, there's always fall and next spring for it to grow.

Idyllic, really is gods country Mike

Thanks, Steve. The pictures don't capture the fresh manure smell! When you head to the beast, stop by. We're about 15 minutes away

About to hit the mowing now. Crappy and 62*. Big temp bust it seems.

EDIT; my manure comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Oh so true now though--my neighbor's manuring my field. HEAVY HEAVY stench. On the plus side, managed to get much of the lawn mowed, ftw.

4 hours to mow and trim today. Man was that stuff long.

Dropped another application of LESCO FTW..Straight fert this time.

Got that right. Still need to mow one side, but it's looking a lot better now than it did this morning (plus, the sun's out!). I only do the large mowing. When it comes to the walk-behind and trimming, I let my wife handle that. :)

Got that right. Still need to mow one side, but it's looking a lot better now than it did this morning (plus, the sun's out!). I only do the large mowing. When it comes to the walk-behind and trimming, I let my wife handle that. :)

Looking good. Looks like you mulch the clippings and don' t bag.

Where is the new grass you planted?

Looking good. Looks like you mulch the clippings and don' t bag.

Where is the new grass you planted?

Thanks, Kevin. I'm not sure if they're truly mulched, but whever gets cut gets left out. Pretty tough this time since it was so wet and clumpy.

Are you talking about the grass I planted last year? The project I'm doing this year to convert to lawn won't be starting until the first week of June. You can see only a little of the area I planted last July in the picture that has the basketball hoop in it. It's pretty much from the deep tire tracks and toward the right of there.

I heavily seeded an area for new lawn on monday and I am already seeing sprouts as of this morning! Don't think I've ever seen germination this fast, usually it takes weeks.

You'll get a good day of sun today to let the photosynthesis run wild, then back into some good watering. Should continue to work well for you.

Got the new/old garden tilled and ready. Heavy veggie planting upcoming

We went to a small garden last summer, going back to a 16' x 16' plot this year

What are you planting? I grow a pretty sizable garden in Dobbs Ferry...arugula, green leaf lettuce, cherry, heirloom and beefsteak tomatoes (really like Cherokee Purple and Lemon Boy), sweet bell and hot peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and lots of herbs. I have some trouble with the high deer population in Westchester, but I keep a 6' fence around the main garden and just pray for the rest. I use all organic fertilizers such as kelp, fish extract, and cow manure. I think I had my best crop in Summer 2008, despite the bad hail storm, and my worst crop in Summer 2009. I'm going to be gardening in Westchester again this summer, already have most of it going under my parents' vigilance.

My lawn has improved a lot this summer compared to last. Mainly due to fert, and keeping it mowed at highest setting. Still some weeds out back, and looks like grubs in the front. I get these giant ground beetles around early July. Any recommendations to battle them? I heard milky spores, but wasn't sure if that is effective against ground beetles.

Found my first blades of grass up north. Only about 3... but it's a start. I want to start a lawn up there this fall, but wasn't sure if I should sod, hydroseed or regular old seed. Any recommendations?

post-1709-0-21551800-1338304479_thumb.jp

post-1709-0-53110900-1338304491_thumb.jp

My lawn has improved a lot this summer compared to last. Mainly due to fert, and keeping it mowed at highest setting. Still some weeds out back, and looks like grubs in the front. I get these giant ground beetles around early July. Any recommendations to battle them? I heard milky spores, but wasn't sure if that is effective against ground beetles.

Found my first blades of grass up north. Only about 3... but it's a start. I want to start a lawn up there this fall, but wasn't sure if I should sod, hydroseed or regular old seed. Any recommendations?

Lawn looks great--so does the cabin. Is it new?

I'd recommend going straight seed. May as well try 'cheap and easy' and see how it works out for you.

Thanks! I started the cabin last year (Memorial Day weekend) and built it with friends and family. Still far from being done, but we've been using it since last fall. I'll probably go with a straight seed since the funds have pretty much dried up and not to mention I got my first tax bill over the weekend. I'd like to seed over the leach field and maybe out front. I'm not sure how close to the deck I should seed. The house faces due north (left side of photo)

It amazes me at how people cut their lawns way too short. You did a great job, looks terrific.

Less watering needed, looks better, greener, tougher for weeds and bugs to take hold.

on my second year applying milky spore (granular variety). so i can not give you a definitive answer WRT grubs. I am hoping for good things as they are relentless around here. i would try their web site on the ground beetle, does it have a larvae stage? nice lawn!

http://www.stgl.us/gstore/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=44&idproduct=4006

on my second year applying milky spore (granular variety). so i can not give you a definitive answer WRT grubs. I am hoping for good things as they are relentless around here. i would try their web site on the ground beetle, does it have a larvae stage? nice lawn!

http://www.stgl.us/g...&idproduct=4006

Good to see you trying it too. I am on year #2 as well. I did have grubs last year but it takes a couple years to inoculate the soil with the spores and you have to have grubs in the soil for the spores to work. That's how they multiply. Here is an OMRI listed produce for killing insects.

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/organic-lawn-care/5109

Good to see you trying it too. I am on year #2 as well. I did have grubs last year but it takes a couple years to inoculate the soil with the spores and you have to have grubs in the soil for the spores to work. That's how they multiply. Here is an OMRI listed produce for killing insects.

http://www.saferbran...-lawn-care/5109

oh they are there, i see them when i am working in my landscaping beds and still had a lot of grub damage at the end of last season, but thankfully (with some work) my lawn has made a full recovery

What are you planting? I grow a pretty sizable garden in Dobbs Ferry...arugula, green leaf lettuce, cherry, heirloom and beefsteak tomatoes (really like Cherokee Purple and Lemon Boy), sweet bell and hot peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and lots of herbs. I have some trouble with the high deer population in Westchester, but I keep a 6' fence around the main garden and just pray for the rest. I use all organic fertilizers such as kelp, fish extract, and cow manure. I think I had my best crop in Summer 2008, despite the bad hail storm, and my worst crop in Summer 2009. I'm going to be gardening in Westchester again this summer, already have most of it going under my parents' vigilance.

Just the basics... basil, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cukes, pumpkins

We mostly just use miracle grow. Hoping the basil helps ward of the hornworms...

Archived