12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished topdressing/overseeding the front this evening. Looks good imo. Time will tell though.

Side yard that has not been touched yet, except CGM and Alfalfa. This will be the last area that I touch since it looks the best.

The next 3 photos are of the front yard that I topdressed / overseeded last weekend. I did the areas that the grubs got to last year, first. That was 2 weeks ago. That seed has germinated and is growing.

Here is the portion I did tonight.

Nice Job Bob! What did you use for topdressing, finished compost?

Topsoil/compost. It's a lot of work but not too difficult. Wheelbarrow, shovel and a rake. It's much needed at this point. I'm hoping for the best. I do have some weeds that I will need to deal with at some point but I am concentrating on the grass first. I am at basically +365 days of my change to all organic fertilizers. I have noticed a change.

You can see the the difference in the areas where I have added the topdressing. The grass is greener in those areas.

Topsoil/compost. It's a lot of work but not too difficult. Wheelbarrow, shovel and a rake. It's much needed at this point. I'm hoping for the best. I do have some weeds that I will need to deal with at some point but I am concentrating on the grass first. I am at basically +365 days of my change to all organic fertilizers. I have noticed a change.

I have noticed a change too, remember the easiest way to get rid of weeds is to over crowd them. When that grass comes in, let it grow, cut it at 3.5 inches and if you water only do it twice a week, water deep and seldom, that way the roots seek the water out down below and dont sit on the top of the lawn. Its easy to have a nice lawn on june 1st, not so easy on august 1st. make your lawn drought tolerant, train it to expect a nice watering only a day or two a week, that way come mid summer its lush and green:)

You can see the the difference in the areas where I have added the topdressing. The grass is greener in those areas.

I use finished compost on my organic lawns, its amazing how quickly it greens up, even a very thin coating yields a very healthy root system. Good for you Bob.

Have some nasty divets and chunks taken out of my lawn from tree work. Any suggestions on best ways to go about fixing?

Fill in the divets with screened topsoil and level the areas you do it by raking the new soil so it's flat and meshes with the other areas of the lawn..Reseed, and starter fertlizer on those areas..Keep it moist and germination will occur in 7-10 days.

A little urban oasis.

Here are the fooking helicopter seeds. They are everywhere.

76179cae.jpg

The culprit.

6bfd2ab7.jpg

Azalea looking nice.

09e1faf5.jpg

Assorted plants, lillies and some arborvitae with a Japanese maple in the background.

66d0f509.jpg

I love this tree. Might have to move it soon. Anyways we are pretty liberal with our plants. Much more to come.

9bca5f62.jpg

Fill in the divets with screened topsoil and level the areas you do it by raking the new soil so it's flat and meshes with the other areas of the lawn..Reseed, and starter fertlizer on those areas..Keep it moist and germination will occur in 7-10 days.

Any suggestions on brands?

Finished topdressing/overseeding the front this evening. Looks good imo. Time will tell though.

Side yard that has not been touched yet, except CGM and Alfalfa. This will be the last area that I touch since it looks the best.

The next 3 photos are of the front yard that I topdressed / overseeded last weekend. I did the areas that the grubs got to last year, first. That was 2 weeks ago. That seed has germinated and is growing.

Here is the portion I did tonight.

5 days since the photos I last took. Front lawn is nice a green. Overseed just starting to sprout up. It's been 10 days. Grass is crazy tall in the front. 6-8" easily.

It's definitely crab grass down here. I used the stuff that MRG likes...burns out the nose hairs as you apply it. Killed the crabgrass and most aquatic life within a few miles.

Have you done the Alfalfa yet?

My front lawn is a forest right now. Grass is 8-10"+ high right now. I still need to wait another couple weeks before I can cut it. It's killing me to not cut it right now since it looks like I'm a slob with it. Unkempt.

Have you done the Alfalfa yet?

My front lawn is a forest right now. Grass is 8-10"+ high right now. I still need to wait another couple weeks before I can cut it. It's killing me to not cut it right now since it looks like I'm a slob with it. Unkempt.

FWIW, when you do cut it ,the long grass is likely to be damaged as you will be cutting off too (% terms) much, especially if it is already that tall. If the new seed has emerged (believe you have indicated it has), you might try cutting with a push mower at it hightest setting. if your concerned about damaging the new stalks, your likely to do little damage walking on it with a push mower as long as you're careful . also the established lawn will eventually spread into the thin areas if you keep the weeds out. anyways my two cents and you probably have already considered this

FWIW, when you do cut it ,the long grass is likely to be damaged as you will be cutting off too (% terms) much, especially if it is already that tall. If the new seed has emerged (believe you have indicated it has), you might try cutting with a push mower at it hightest setting. if your concerned about damaging the new stalks, your likely to do little damage walking on it with a push mower as long as you're careful . also the established lawn will eventually spread into the thin areas if you keep the weeds out. anyways my two cents and you probably have already considered this

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a Honda walk behind mower. My plan is to jack it up the mower deckas high as it can and cut it. I'm not too worried about the "grass" yet. I understand that it may take a couple years to respond.

My lawn is growing out of control. HAving the lawn tractor makes life easier but I still feel like mowing is a huge waste of time. There are so many other things to do. I can't imagine spending countless hours preening and prodding the lawn. A little water, a little sun and it's lush and green without a problem.

Archived