CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well lawn officially has some burned areas on it..on April 19th ..Earliest disaster in history.. Just about every lawn is already toast. Unreal

I noticed spots starting to go today as well. If we don't get some significant rain by the end of the weekend, I'll be cranking up the watering system. I don't think I have ever done that before June (usually mid-June).

Just put down some fert the hardware store associate was doing his best to convince me to wait until after this storm to drop it because it needs to sit on the lawn 24 hrs before rainfall? Never heard that before but all 60000 sq ft is down now and ready to soak in, hopefully we start as showers for a nice soak

Just put down some fert the hardware store associate was doing his best to convince me to wait until after this storm to drop it because it needs to sit on the lawn 24 hrs before rainfall? Never heard that before but all 60000 sq ft is down now and ready to soak in, hopefully we start as showers for a nice soak

WTF...big lawn?

It's april 21 and I have patches of burnt grass. i am not all that happy about that. we really need some rain.

Never seen it like this before June at the earliest. Crazy.

I went out an poured some water from a watering can on a spot on the lawn today. I went back after about 10 minutes and there was still just a puddle of water there. It had barely sunk into the soil at all. Hopefully we are going to get a steady long-term rain over the next two days to break down the hardpan, cracked layer I see on the top of the soil.

It's april 21 and I have patches of burnt grass. i am not all that happy about that. we really need some rain.

Surprised at that. Until last night, I have .07" of rain over the last 30 days. Law's still green as can be, though I have yet to mow (though some people in the area have). I guess the snow we had here not sure where in NH you are must have allowed us to weather the dry period a little better. Where in NH are you?

Fertilzing when more than about 1/4 or 1/2" of rain is in the forecast is a waste of money. Pretty much every study/science has backed this up. Just an FYI. It puts the fertilizer either in the drains or through the layer too quickly.

Me for the loss in that case. Since we have no drains, that's not an issue. Maybe the light rain we had last nighit will mitigate the issue a smidge.

Surprised at that. Until last night, I have .07" of rain over the last 30 days. Law's still green as can be, though I have yet to mow (though some people in the area have). I guess the snow we had here not sure where in NH you are must have allowed us to weather the dry period a little better. Where in NH are you?

Me for the loss in that case. Since we have no drains, that's not an issue. Maybe the light rain we had last nighit will mitigate the issue a smidge.

MPM..Messneger has no clue what he's talking about. Yesterday was the perfect time to fertilize. A nice soaking 1-2 inch rainfall is EXACTLY what you want to wash it in. He not only uses the wrong type of fertilizer for his lawn but he fertilizes at the wrong time of year..in late Feb.

You did good

I put a 2nd application down at 1/4 strength yesterday--I might have avoid doing it with the heavy rain forecast, but the .25 or so last night and then the 8-10 hour break should get it into the ground before the heavy stuff comes.

the usual spots that burn out first in the summer have been that way for a couple of weeks...would be funny if that's the worst it gets the whole summer.

MPM..Messneger has no clue what he's talking about. Yesterday was the perfect time to fertilize. A nice soaking 1-2 inch rainfall is EXACTLY what you want to wash it in. He not only uses the wrong type of fertilizer for his lawn but he fertilizes at the wrong time of year..in late Feb.

You did good

LOL--you and Messenger should have a lawn-tractor race to settle the dispute.

Mowed for the second time yesterday and re-seeded a couple of small bare patches that developed over the winter. Strange 12" diameter spots with the ground all dug up and loose. Probably the handywork of some sort of critter. Mowing created huge dust bowls along the edges.

If it wasn't raining I would be out working on the landscape beds, but I'll take the day off relaxing without having to feel guilty. Everything out there needs it. Never thought I would be so happy to see it rain. :maprain:

I can see the rains today already going to work on the Alfalfa. It swells and breaks down from the rain. Its a great natural fertilizer that will add organic matter to your soil. 3-0-2 is the composition of it for fertilizer. When it comes to organics its less about that and more about your soil and its composition. I still plan on doing an overseed this season. I'm learning as I go with the organic program.

Mowed for the second time yesterday and re-seeded a couple of small bare patches that developed over the winter. Strange 12" diameter spots with the ground all dug up and loose. Probably the handywork of some sort of critter. Mowing created huge dust bowls along the edges.

If it wasn't raining I would be out working on the landscape beds, but I'll take the day off relaxing without having to feel guilty. Everything out there needs it. Never thought I would be so happy to see it rain. :maprain:

Could be grubs.

You did good

That's why I use a fraction of the chemicals and my lawn has looked better than yours for a month, and will look better than yours all summer despite living a few hundred yards from salt water and beach sand. I probably use a few hundred dollars less worth of water too.

If you fertilized before this 2-4" rain all you did is throw "most" of your money away as the nutrients will either get runoff, or wash down through the root zone. Send an email to your buddies at Lesco and ask them about fertilizing before a flood.

Now run outside and kick the kids off your lawn, they're probably leaving footprints.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/news/article/1659/

It's not rocket science, you want the nutrients where the roots are and that doesn't happen if you applyit before you get 3" of rain...most of it goes elsewhere.

Fertilzing when more than about 1/4 or 1/2" of rain is in the forecast is a waste of money. Pretty much every study/science has backed this up. Just an FYI. It puts the fertilizer either in the drains or through the layer too quickly.

I don't even think .25" is enough to leech fertilizer through a 4 inch thick layer of coarse sand.

That's why I use a fraction of the chemicals and my lawn has looked better than yours for a month, and will look better than yours all summer despite living a few hundred yards from salt water and beach sand. I probably use a few hundred dollars less worth of water too.

If you fertilized before this 2-4" rain all you did is throw "most" of your money away as the nutrients will either get runoff, or wash down through the root zone. Send an email to your buddies at Lesco and ask them about fertilizing before a flood.

Now run outside and kick the kids off your lawn, they're probably leaving footprints.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/news/article/1659/

It's not rocket science, you want the nutrients where the roots are and that doesn't happen if you applyit before you get 3" of rain...most of it goes elsewhere.

Hey man, nice to see you at the gtg

I don't even think .25" is enough to leech fertilizer through a 4 inch thick layer of coarse sand.

You don't want it washing through anything, you want to wash it into the top of the root zone shortly after application. Some will depend on your soil but most every fertilizer company (and professional landscaper, government agency or turf provider) will tell you 1/4 to 1/2" depending on the soil type.

I believe NJ is one of a few states either with laws on the books or in process that have a common sense application...in NJ if you took Kev's advice you just broke the law. I don't know if they've followed through but NY and VT were considering similar measures. I read this about a year ago...only a matter of time before MA/CT follow suit JMHO. http://www.turfmagazine.com/article-6727.aspx

"The law spells out what should be common sense: don’t apply fertilizer during or just before a heavy rain; don’t leave it on an impervious surface like pavement – sweep up any fertilizer that falls onto an impervious surface; don’t apply it to frozen ground. In all of these situations the risk of runoff greatly increases."

http://snyderfarm.ru...izerlawFAQ.html

Sadly they have to pass these types of laws because you've got people that don't know any better or just don't care and pollute the shi* out of the waterways. Most of us live in do-gooder states, so it's only a matter of time before these laws end up passed here too.

Archived