CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Study on when flowers are triggered by Temperature nailing the moment as compared to tomorrow - Monday and this week.

With warm air, a control gene, called PIF4, activates the flowering pathway, but at lower temperatures the gene is unable to act.

"What is striking is that temperature alone is able to exert such specific and precise control on the activity of PIF4," said Dr Phil Wigge.

Previously, it has been shown that PIF4 is vital for controlling other aspects of plant responses to warmth, for example growth, but this is the first time that the gene has been shown to be necessary for the activation of flowering by temperature.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120321143021.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fearth_climate%2Fclimate+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Earth+&+Climate+News+--+Climate%29

Imagine the well water in Tolland. Full of chemicals.

That may be where the hair loss comes into play, I wonder what the cancer rate is in town................lol

I am not into maintaining the lawn, For 1, We have about 20 little tike pieces all over the place killing it from the daycare, And the 10 kids running around digging it up with spoons and whatever

That may be where the hair loss comes into play, I wonder what the cancer rate is in town................lol

I am not into maintaining the lawn, For 1, We have about 20 little tike pieces all over the place killing it from the daycare, And the 10 kids running around digging it up with spoons and whatever

I don't really have a lawn, but we have flower gardens. Septic systems already do a number to local fresh water ponds with phosphates. I think when I do eventually have a lawn and yard of my own...I'd probably try to keep up with it, but maybe find some alternatives to green it up a bit.

I don't really have a lawn, but we have flower gardens. Septic systems already do a number to local fresh water ponds with phosphates. I think when I do eventually have a lawn and yard of my own...I'd probably try to keep up with it, but maybe find some alternatives to green it up a bit.

The only fertilizer i put down is on my arborvitaes twice a year, I have 59 i maintain around the perimeter, When i planted them 4 years ago they were 4-5', Now, Most of them are 7-9'

The only fertilizer i put down is on my arborvitaes twice a year, I have 59 i maintain around the perimeter, When i planted them 4 years ago they were 4-5', Now, Most of them are 7-9'

Yeah I have some 10-10-10 that I throw on them. I have to trim mine this year. After they were crushed last winter, they are as healthy as ever. Hardy evergreen.

To each their own. For me personally I couldn't live like that.

Yeah I have some 10-10-10 that I throw on them. I have to trim mine this year. After they were crushed last winter, they are as healthy as ever. Hardy evergreen.

They are very resilient, I was worried the 1st couple of winters about them with getting freezing rain and hvy wet snow they would be layed right over and it happened a few times, I was contemplating wrapping them with burlap, But then i spoke to a guy who runs a nursery and he said to me, That there's are out all winter uncovered, Why do you want to waste your time

To each their own. For me personally I couldn't live like that.

Yeah to each his own, Is enough of a battle mowing and having to move all these toys around all the time, Besides, I spend most of my time at the golf course and the lake all summer, I don't have time for the lawn, That's my boys job..... :)

Are you the Dad that gets pissed when neighborhood kids walk on your property?

LOL I'm betting he is.

I like my lawn to look nice, use very little fertilizer and almost no weed killers or pre-emergents at all. I like the lawn to look nice and be green so the kids can play on it. When they fall they don't hit astro-turf hard ground.

LOL, c'mon. That's exactly what I mean. It's fooking grass.

Exactly,, it is what makes a family house feel like a family, non sterile UnStepford wife lawns are to me a sign of love, laughter, play and happiness. 45 years later and you can still make out where we had pitchers mound and home plate at my Moms house. What great memories.

LOL, c'mon. That's exactly what I mean. It's fooking grass.

LOL, can you imagine Blizz throwing a big summer party at his house? He'd be freaking out as soon as people started having a good time on the grass. I'd love to come down with a few truckloads of roughnecks. We'd park our 6000lb trucks on his lawn. There would be guys throwing cigarette butts into the grass and p*ssing in his mulch. Hell, a few chipmunks get him panicky to the point he drowns the poor things.

Nice....i have seen pictures of ur lawn...very nice...i always feel a nice green lawn, speaks volumes for a homeowner

Makes me think how out of touch with nature the homeowner must be to dump tons of fertilizer on the patch of land his kids play on.

Archived