joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figure April 10-15 will be safe to put down grass seed here?

It's safe now. I guess it depends on how much you are overseeding. I put some down about 10 days ago and it's seeding already. I expect a higher failure rate but I'm only seeding 1/4 of a bag at a time so if I lose some, no big deal.

I used a tiny amount of starter fertilizer about 8 or so days ago and the lawn has fully greened out. It's 90% of the way to mid summer green. I did this last year too. I think it gets the grass growing and thickening which helps to hold off the weeds. I also have some bald spots from the summer that I want to see grow in as well.

I put down an organic starter fertilizer 2 weeks ago this coming Monday. I used 1/3 of the dose. Took somewhat longer to green up. Watered in lightly a few days later.

You can see the pretty startling results. My lawn is mid summer green already. I like this approach and it worked well last year too. It makes it very hard for the weeds to take hold in the coming weeks and months. Our lawns intertwine, my neighbor is always a month or two behind in getting their stuff done. But you can see all three of the yards in view are full sun facing south. I don't use pesticides at all....aside of random hand spraying here and there.

Gee whiz, how gross you guys are already pouring chemicals on the lawn and talking about flowers. Fortunately everything will be killed by the blistering cold and heavy snow that is coming.

LOL Pete, I use organic and I use a fraction of the prescribed dose. I don't use weed killers, I use my hands to remove the weeds from the lawn. By getting a jump on it early I find it really gives the crabgrass the business as it can't really take root without me seeing it and grabbing it.

I really like the organic product. It took about 2x the time to green up the lawn of the traditional stuff but the end result was the same.

I am going to have to cover some flowers that are in full bloom and a couple of flowering bushes with sheets.

Dandelions today. Lol

Have had them here for more than 10 days, I put up a photo I think about that time ago of them.

My feeling is get the lawn as green/growing/full now via organic, last year the result was needing almost no chemicals/pull a few weeds here and there via hand. The weeds simply didn't have a place to take hold.

I'm finding the organics are just as good but they don't act as fast. Takes at least twice as long to green up the lawn but also seems to last longer.

Plus it tastes better on my cheerios.

I'm surprised a lot of you waited to hit the lawns with that weather we had. I can't believe how much the lawn is growing and how dark green it is already. The wood chips were not something I wanted to break my as* doing this afternoon, but I had to bury the flowers coming up or they'd be frozen in another day or two anyway. A couple will require buckets and blankets.

Where do you buy the Lesco? I see it at Home Depot but I'm not sure if it is the same stuff you use.

The stuff at Home Depot is not the same . It's got filler in it. To get the real stuff you have to go to a professional lawn place. There's a commercial John Deere Landscaping place in South Windsor, that sells it.

Archived