• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Third Annual New England Lawn and Garden Thread

Damage In Tolland

Because I live in the city and have a postage stamp lot, I ran 1" circumferance pvc 3" under the much in the beds bordering the house. I used t-joints to seperate sprinkler heads that cover the entire yard. It's completely expandable too.

I'm going to use an air hose from the compresser in the fall to blow the water out.

All in, I'm probably $200 for irrigation. I have a splitter on the hose with one end having a timer.

cummings3.jpg

Another completely unrelated DIY project I feel I must share because I'm so enthralled with it.

Mini Weber DIY smoker.

http://www.virtualwe...om/miniwsm.html

miniwsm1.jpg

Nice. Don't think I have the water pressure to do any type of watering of it, ftl.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from being the really lazy way out, any thoughts on hydro seeding?

Specifically, 1)l quality of lawn and 2) how much does it cost?

I'm concerned about whether my new area will really come in on its own as it's removed from the possibility of artificial watering. Whiile I'm not concerned about heat, I think our rainfall will trend to more normal than the nearly daily rains we've had for the last several weeks.

Thanks for your thoughts on those questions.

Heh, one MA town (I want to say it was Arlington) outlawed leaf blowers, and now it's illegal to swear in Middleboro... I think it's 'bout time to amend the Star Spangled Banner.... "o'er the land of the not exactly free..."

On that note, tomorrow I'll be heading up north to the cabin where I can live in an unfinished house because they don't even have a building dept to enforce code violations.

Ended up putting down 100lbs of Agway's West County Blend to get things started. Put it down on Sunday and Monday--already it's sprouting. I'm sure the dryness is going to present problems as will warmer temps later next week. Fortunately, its imostly n the shade during the afternoon so hopefully that'll minimze the heat issue. Water's the bigger problem. I can get one hose-length deep into the seeded area. So, that should be okay. Beyond that, I don't think I'm going to be buying a couple hundred more feet of hose. So, that area might be on its own. The adjacent lawn areas to that have always down well without any watering whatsoever, so it should just be an issue of time before that fills in. I think.

Ended up putting down 100lbs of Agway's West County Blend to get things started. Put it down on Sunday and Monday--already it's sprouting. I'm sure the dryness is going to present problems as will warmer temps later next week. Fortunately, its imostly n the shade during the afternoon so hopefully that'll minimze the heat issue. Water's the bigger problem. I can get one hose-length deep into the seeded area. So, that should be okay. Beyond that, I don't think I'm going to be buying a couple hundred more feet of hose. So, that area might be on its own. The adjacent lawn areas to that have always down well without any watering whatsoever, so it should just be an issue of time before that fills in. I think.

Cool. That's the Rye grass. Germinates really fast. Just make sure it doesn't dry out too much. Keep the ground moist but not overly wet so as to drown the seed. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Cool. That's the Rye grass. Germinates really fast. Just make sure it doesn't dry out too much. Keep the ground moist but not overly wet so as to drown the seed. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Here's hoping! Only about 20% is within reach of the hoses, so beyond that will be a tough go.

Would you recommend blowing clippings from the established area onto the new to keep in moisture?

Been clearing out a 100 by 100 section of the woods for a volleyball and batting cage. Always helps to have good cheap help. They work for treats.

8697eec7.jpg

Awesome--good help is hard to find! Good luck with the clearing--post some before/afters.

Meanwhile, the grass I put down two Sundays ago has really been doing well. Even the areas that I haven't watered have sprouted reasonably well. I broke down and bought another 75' of hose last night to extend my watering capabilitiiy. Sucks to have to spend so much time watering the damn thing.

Fortunately, this area gets about half a day of sun but that's in the morning with full shade in the afternoon. So, two days of heat shouldn't cause too much of a problem as it will escape the full brunt of the warmth.

Awesome--good help is hard to find! Good luck with the clearing--post some before/afters.

Meanwhile, the grass I put down two Sundays ago has really been doing well. Even the areas that I haven't watered have sprouted reasonably well. I broke down and bought another 75' of hose last night to extend my watering capabilitiiy. Sucks to have to spend so much time watering the damn thing.

Fortunately, this area gets about half a day of sun but that's in the morning with full shade in the afternoon. So, two days of heat shouldn't cause too much of a problem as it will escape the full brunt of the warmth.

Watering is a b**ch!

Looks like it will be one of the best garden seasons for me here, Already have Cukes and Tomatoes that will probably be ready in 2-3 weeks tops

I wish. Planted all the cucurbits Memorial Weekend Saturday. They'd just popped out of the ground when the chilly downpour arrived - 3" rain at 50/46 was more than they could take. That plus Mama Snapper's excavations caused 100% mortality, and I just replaced them last Sat. Tomatos survivied but could only run in place for two weeks, doing better now but a month/6 wk before even the Sweet 100s produce anything.

I wish. Planted all the cucurbits Memorial Weekend Saturday. They'd just popped out of the ground when the chilly downpour arrived - 3" rain at 50/46 was more than they could take. That plus Mama Snapper's excavations caused 100% mortality, and I just replaced them last Sat. Tomatos survivied but could only run in place for two weeks, doing better now but a month/6 wk before even the Sweet 100s produce anything.

Yeah, Container garden FTW here

Last night. Looking strong even after 3 day torch. You can see the area I overseeded a couple months ago at the bottom. Came in nicely.

Second Lesco application tomorrow

d297_toxic_waste_glasses_add.jpg

LOL.

Looks good, Bob. I'm hoping my newly seeded area will fill in. The rye grass has come in pretty nicely, but need the rest to follow suit. Looks great from 20 yards away though. :)

LOL.

Looks good, Bob. I'm hoping my newly seeded area will fill in. The rye grass has come in pretty nicely, but need the rest to follow suit. Looks great from 20 yards away though. :)

Always look good further away, You can't see all the sparse areas until you look right over them, I had a couple of bare areas to fix with some park mix as they are in a heavy traffic area and had to over seed it again once the seed germinated

Archived