• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

The pattern is looking up though next week so I'm not clinging to my last 3 or 4 inches of crud. LOL ...If it's wiped out then so be it. I'll find out when I get home at 10:00 PM.

Just noticed that my collection bucket must be full of snow as I've recorded 0.00" of rain.

Meanhwile, just had a big roof-slide. Normally a good thing. Today, though, just a sign of a warm storm.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like PF I've added my post from the NNE thread here in the SWFE discussion thread; I thought I saw an observations thread started by ctsnowstorm628 last night, but I'm guessing it didn't take.

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.61” L.E.

Snow began yesterday at our location around 6:15 P.M., it was fairly light for a while, and then it ramped up in intensity around 8:30 P.M. From that point I recorded a few hourly observations:

Time | Snow on board

9 PM | 1.3”

10 PM | 1.8”

11 PM | 2.1”

12 AM | 2.2”

The snow that had fallen through that point had been a mixture of some large (up to 1 ½”) and small flakes, and the settled accumulation at midnight came in at a fairly synoptic-like 8.2% H2O.

This morning at the 6:00 A.M. observations I found 0.9” of dense accumulation on the snowboard, with plenty of sleet in there, and probably some rain. The precipitation was light sleet at the time, with what appeared to be a little rain mixed in. The driving was actually quite fun heading into Waterbury this morning – during his broadcast, Roger Hill was talking about how the road crews purposefully leave the slush on the roads at these times to absorb the incoming liquid, making a far superior surface to what can happen if they strip off the snow and let it glaze with ice. Anyway, the few inches of snow/slush did its job and you could really feel the security and control it provided. I only traveled a few miles, but the empty roads with an AWD Subaru were definitely a lot of fun.

Some details from the 12:00 A.M. and 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

12:00 A.M.

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.18 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.2

Snow Density: 8.2% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

6:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.9 inches (some sleet)

New Liquid: 0.43 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.1

Snow Density: 47.8% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Sleet

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

Nice! I saw that GYX had 3.1", so I figured you must've been in that neighborhood. I measured only 1.7", but that was after the rain had inflicted serious pain to it. Don't know what the actual max was. Oh well.

Thanks, We are pelting hard right now, I am usually right around grays total typically, I see it flipped down your way a lot sooner, We always manage to do ok in these storm types here, I just wish the upper levels would have stayed cold we would have been looking at a decent snow, But thats how the winter has gone this year, We at least have a gain today so far.

Thanks, We are pelting hard right now, I am usually right around grays total typically, I see it flipped down your way a lot sooner, We always manage to do ok in these storm types here, I just wish the upper levels would have stayed cold we would have been looking at a decent snow, But thats how the winter has gone this year, We at least have a gain today so far.

The remaining snowpack is going to be nothing short of boilerplate. Tons of water in it. Hopefully we can get some of these modeled systems in the long range to travel over the canal.

The remaining snowpack is going to be nothing short of boilerplate. Tons of water in it. Hopefully we can get some of these modeled systems in the long range to travel over the canal.

Other then some lt snows on Mon, The next threat looks like next Friday with some sort of coastal, Euro shows a decent storm but its 7 days out and we know how that goes

Some of the ALB mets were predicting 50-55 south and east of there today. I hope for your sake you avoid that.

I'm sure I'll jump into the 40's soon enough ...this is a cold enclave now.

LOL Pete on the East Slope is not hitting 50-55F or anywhere near it. I bet he maxes out at like 36-37F.

East slope of Berks/Taconics/Greens will be much much cooler than west from the Champlain Valley southward towards ALB and the rest of upstate NY outside of the 'Dacks.

Some of the ALB mets were predicting 50-55 south and east of there today. I hope for your sake you avoid that.

I'm sure I'll jump into the 40's soon enough ...this is a cold enclave now.

So I guess I'm heading into Spring going down to Gotham today. I know...I'll imagine it's a brisk early October day there and winter with all it's promise is still ahead. LOL

Once the front passes, temps will jump into the 40s.

Would love some Canal trackers or over/near BOS... make it happen Jayhawk ;)

And yeah this storm is a solid net gain and will be bomb proof... like 2" of snow and 1" of sleet and now some glaze for a net gain of around 3" with like an inch of water weight, lol.

Back to around 10" on the ground in town at 800ft and 14" on the ground at 1,500ft here at the office.

2007-08 displaced 150 miles north. I'd say it would bulletproof the pack and maybe it will if spikes in temperatures can be avoided up there.

"Displaced 2 months later" might be more accurate. This time in '08 there was about 30" at my snowstake. This year even in N.Aroostook our foresters have yet to need their snowshoes (though this event may change their minds, as that area is under WSW for 5-9".)

4.0" and 0.38" LE at 6:30 IMBY, all snow, all little flakes thus the low ratio for mid-20s unmixed snow. I'll likely get into the IP/ZR later, but only after topping my call of "3 inches plus mix" by about 2". GYX said 4-6" and MBY will almost certainly land in that range.

Snow stated around 7 pm. I started hearing sleet sometime around 12:45 last night. Woke up to freezing rain and 31 f. It looked like there was a lot of water added to the snow. The cars had a 1.5 inch layer of snow and crust. Ice was starting to build up on everything by the time I left the house a bit before 8. We had some water in the corner of the barn on the floor but the basement of the house was dry. The roads were slushy with the occasional huge puddle where drains were clogged. One of those days when it seems just like a matter of time before the power goes out.

34.9° F and quite foggy here. Interesting that I have not torched into the 40s like we often do on the west slope in these types of setups. We rose above freezing a little before midnight, which ended whatever minimal glazing we were getting. I think it will warm up into the 40s here once the winds go west and things mix out. Yes, I think things warm up on the east slope for a while as well when this occurs, but with the glaze there, the snow shouldn't really melt.

5-6 inches of very soggy snow in the woods this am. If we get some cold nights soon this will be bullet proof undercoating for the upcoming pack building.

OTG right? Can't be from this event. I've got about 2.5 in open areas and 3-4 in woods. Driveway is complete slush. Im hoping for it to get melted off because if it doesn't im not looking forward to shoveling a half inch of .7 liquid equivalent slush off of it.

I'm pretty sure my anemometer's frozen. I haven't gotten any windspeed or directional readings all day.

Sitting at 31.7/31. If the bulk of the upcoming batch can inch by to my east, I will have had most of the qpf in the form of something wintry. Nothing to show for it though except a footnote.

The next 30-36 hrs will be relatively mild. You'll probably be several degrees warmer tomorrow than today.

OTG right? Can't be from this event. I've got about 2.5 in open areas and 3-4 in woods. Driveway is complete slush. Im hoping for it to get melted off because if it doesn't im not looking forward to shoveling a half inch of .7 liquid equivalent slush off of it.

I think start up the car and do couple rolls up and down the driveway to start the melting and it will be gone before dark?

or maybe wishful thinking..

Archived