• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Good signal for maybe 3-4 hours of upslope snow this evening and tonight on the backside of this puppy.

There's some residual synoptic moisture associated with a weak deformation zone (now over BUF area) that should lift across upstate NY and then into northern VT. Couple that with NW flow and CAA... I'm thinking we could see a nice 1-3" snowfall to top this off.

If we could pull another couple inches out of upslope later, it would be a nice 4-6" event with some ice inbetween.

switched back to snow in ottawa just now in the last 15 mins, coming down at a decent clip after 8 hours of frzra

interesting event

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having some sleet in here as well, 32.2/32.

On an OT note, we should have a moment of silence for Juan Epstein.  Juan will not be coming down for breakfast.  Signed Epstein's mother.

He won't be Welcome Back here in the corporal plane... I loved that show.Anyway, looks like the high today at home was 37.9F or so.

no ice pics?

We honestly didn't get much ice... maybe a tenth of an inch on the trees, at any elevation from 800ft to 4,000ft. Nothing remarkable at least. Basically at the mountain it was a classic SWFE with 3-4" of dense snow, packed down by sleet, and then crusted over with some ZR. Precipitation shut-off fairly quickly at like 9:30am when the moisture train was still pouring ZR/IP in NH and ME. We were always modeled to get less QPF so that makes sense. I'd imagine we ended up with around 1/2"-2/3" QPF so far with a good majority of it falling as snow/sleet.

We were sleeting up at the mountain today when it was pouring in town... with SEly winds into the east face of Mansfield we usually get a little upslope cooling which prolonged the sleet locally.

Big time icing here around 800ft. My way home from work takes me from 400ft at the base of my hill in town up to 800ft and then back down to 615ft where I live. At the peak it looked like a mini Dec 08 with branches down in the road and trees hanging precariously low just above the roof of my truck. There's still some glaze left here, but it's 34F. It's one of those deals where the tall pines in my back yard are full of thick ice near their tops, but they're just wet at the bottom. I'd presume it's still 32-33F at the top of my hill.

Big time icing here around 800ft. My way home from work takes me from 400ft at the base of my hill in town up to 800ft and then back down to 615ft where I live. At the peak it looked like a mini Dec 08 with branches down in the road and trees hanging precariously low just above the roof of my truck. There's still some glaze left here, but it's 34F. It's one of those deals where the tall pines in my back yard are full of thick ice near their tops, but they're just wet at the bottom. I'd presume it's still 32-33F at the top of my hill.

I would imagine as the pic Ryan took showed, the 1500-2K level got smoked.

Still dense fog and 36-37° F here. Amazingly, I have not mixed out yet. Very atypical for my location as CAD almost never happens here on the west slope of the Berks. However, I should mix out soon as the front is likely where that line of showers is E of Albany. Looks like this feature is convective due to elevated instability. Interesting day IMO.

Still dense fog and 36-37° F here. Amazingly, I have not mixed out yet. Very atypical for my location as CAD almost never happens here on the west slope of the Berks. However, I should mix out soon as the front is likely where that line of showers is E of Albany. Looks like this feature is convective due to elevated instability. Interesting day IMO.

Same here..Still locked in at 38.2 . Socked in with fog. Never cad here like this even with snowcover

Same here..Still locked in at 38.2 . Socked in with fog. Never cad here like this even with snowcover

Interesting temps in NE CT today. Places as close as SE CT & W RI were in the mid 50s while we hovered in the upper 30s with the exception of a couple of hours near 40°. Over in Union at 1200' though, the temp poked up to 46° for a while. It's still in the low 40s there while surrounding places are in the 30s.

Riddle me this...anyone...I stay CAD all day with a high of 38.1 and now down to 36.5  with pea soup fog. with no snowpack.

Yet when there's deep snowcover OTG we would have had no problem shooting well up into 40's.

Can someone explain why we stayed CAD today..with no high, no snowcover..no blocking?

Yeah, same here. I figured mid 40s at least here today. 37.5 was the high on my crapo thermometer here.36.3F/36 attm

Archived