joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ongoing light snow with very small flakes and no radar returns. some heavier echoes redeveloping to our west..we'll see what they bring. Just under an inch, or maybe an inch so far.

Just went out to check and I'm lucky if it's a half inch new here. Lots of little flakes that you can hear when they hit your jacket with a few aggregate flakes here and there. Must be very weak lift to only get the random occasional large flake. I'm almost hoping we get a good coating of ice because the snow doesn't seem to be adding up to a whole heck of a lot with these tiny flakes and I'm going to need something to stand up and protect the 3 inches I have otg when the warmer temperatures come in tomorrow.

Wonder if we will see some embedded t'storms tomorrow...fairly decent elevated instability tomorrow with TT's into the lower 50's, KI rising into the lower 30's, SI index dropping slightly below 0, LI getting close to 0 along with a few hundred J/KG of MUcape as mlvl lapse rates increase to around 6.5 C/KM.

Winds are starting to back more to the NE now...they have mostly been E or ESE...but now more out of the ENE/NE now...could make it ugly to flush out the cold air in the interior...but given temps are already pretty marginal, not sure how long the FZRA lasts...the latent heat is eventually going to do its work...but the ageostrophic flow out of the NE will help some.

Quarter sized flakes coming down in this band here now. Sweet.

What is up with all the weenie obs tonight on the ASOS stations? So many moderate snows with 1 mile vis...PWM reporting it now. Several others in VT have done it.

Its like a weenie is augmenting the obs.

Archived