joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like an inch of snow fell here in ottawa overnight, and then a nice glaze of frrzra for 6 hours.

still frzra and 31 currently.

i noticed that there is a bit of a snow tail to this system as reference in the buffalo obs, and in toronto too after lots of rain there previously.

looks like we'll switch back to a little more snow soon, and avoid the rain completely.....ottawa valley does its job again.

they punched straight about freezing in montreal, currently 34 and rain and expecting more rain through the afternoon and a high of 38.

heading back to vermont tomorrow morning.

I think start up the car and do couple rolls up and down the driveway to start the melting and it will be gone before dark?

or maybe wishful thinking..

Funny you mention that, I did that last year a couple times during the more fluffy storms as about 1/3 of the driveway is paved and the last 100 feet is gravel so I'd just compact it instead of shovel. The neighbors haven't talked to me since Haha just kidding.

I actually have a some IP mixed in which surprises me because it's 41°...wasn't expecting that today. Intellicast seems to indicate some mixing to my NE as well. Go figure.

Having some sleet in here as well, 32.2/32.

On an OT note, we should have a moment of silence for Juan Epstein. Juan will not be coming down for breakfast. Signed Epstein's mother.

Good signal for maybe 3-4 hours of upslope snow this evening and tonight on the backside of this puppy.

There's some residual synoptic moisture associated with a weak deformation zone (now over BUF area) that should lift across upstate NY and then into northern VT. Couple that with NW flow and CAA... I'm thinking we could see a nice 1-3" snowfall to top this off.

If we could pull another couple inches out of upslope later, it would be a nice 4-6" event with some ice inbetween.

OTG right? Can't be from this event. I've got about 2.5 in open areas and 3-4 in woods. Driveway is complete slush. Im hoping for it to get melted off because if it doesn't im not looking forward to shoveling a half inch of .7 liquid equivalent slush off of it.

Yes OTG....I hate when this sh** freezes! still cold here and trees still quite icy.

good think for new england the antecedent airmass wasn't seasonably cold for this time of year.....i think things would have been a icing nightmare

Unfortunately that's been the story this winter in all of SNE, West Chesterfield and Shelburne notwithstanding.

That's interesting...it's nothing major...just the occasional pellet. Looks like sleet but I know things are unstable out there. What is that mix showing up intellicast algorithm east of ORH and over the Berkshires?

Good question, but it's not sleet or ZR that's for sure. Might be something screwy with the algorithm.

Good question, but it's not sleet or ZR that's for sure. Might be something screwy with the algorithm.

After you said that it must be hail, I looked at some SKEW-T's from the AM and the upper air soundings and agree it's not IP.

Right now I'm just glad there's a 20° difference between here and the coast. Last week we rotted in that while 10 miles to my west it was below freezing. Must be getting close though because some Meso's to my south are up to 55° and my station at 1200' in Union is 4° warmer than me.

Good signal for maybe 3-4 hours of upslope snow this evening and tonight on the backside of this puppy.

There's some residual synoptic moisture associated with a weak deformation zone (now over BUF area) that should lift across upstate NY and then into northern VT. Couple that with NW flow and CAA... I'm thinking we could see a nice 1-3" snowfall to top this off.

If we could pull another couple inches out of upslope later, it would be a nice 4-6" event with some ice inbetween.

Congrats!

Unfortunately that's been the story this winter in all of SNE, West Chesterfield and Shelburne notwithstanding.

Something like this......holding tight. But, we're now above freezing (33.4/33). Not sure how ugly this will become.

Archived