• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

What is up with all the weenie obs tonight on the ASOS stations? So many moderate snows with 1 mile vis...PWM reporting it now. Several others in VT have done it.

Its like a weenie is augmenting the obs.

LOL I have no idea. To be honest I haven't actually had the chance to look much tonight.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sometimes happens if you don't smooth the snowfall grids enough. The 6 hour blocks likely have a good burst of snow in that area before the changeover, and that's what you are seeing, as the next 6 hour block will be much further NE with the snow.

Keep in mind that we are constrained by the scale, so these snow amounts could be 4.1" and it falls into the 4-6" bin.

I just saw this reply to my message from earlier. I just wanted to make sure I didn't come off like I was criticizing your office. Your the experts and always do a great job. That was not my intention.

Few flakes mixing in but mostly sleet at this point.

30.7 with .75" new

I'm not sure ...in bed now on my laptop and not going back out. :) It was very light for many hours until like 11:30..been steady since then.

Yeah I'm on the phone in bed too, hence the typo. Here it's been moderate but as we know the lighter stuff accretes better than the moderate to heavy ZR.

Heavy heavy sleet and 29F. Looks like a few inches of snow last night on the cars but haven't been outside yet.

This would explain the sleet here at 800ft in the village right now. Over 3,000ft overhead its still low 20s. MWN is 17F, too. So its very cold up there somewhere.

That warm layer must be wayyyyy up there.

Yea that warm layer has to be up above 850...well above too. Quick review of the 700mb mesoanalysis shows that we might have pushed the oc isotherm at h7 through to about Stowe at this point. wonderful. Maybe we can stay sleet on the mountain. This is a very strange storm.

Just rain on an icy wet 1.5 inches of snow down here in BTV.

From NNE thread but should be obs for this storm too...

Stowe Mountain Resort

East Side of Mount Mansfield

Current ambient temperatures from our snowmaking sensors:

3,600ft...22F

2,500ft...25F

1,500ft...29F

Time of Measurement: 5:00am

Barnes Camp Snow Plot

ID: BRNV1

Elevation: 1,549ft

LAT: N44*32.021

LON: W072*47.208

24 Hour Snow: 2.9"

Snow Depth: 14"

Weather Summary: Moderate to heavy sleet mixed with snow grains or an almost snow dust that's likely being formed in the low level cold air. No sign of freezing rain at this elevation so far. Groomers are reporting a solid 4" at the summit but won't have official snow board data till I can get up the lift. But 4" sounds right given our usual variation of 1-2" from base to summit. Will call it 3-4" this morning; yes, rounding 2.9" up to 3" here at the base... damn marketing at ski areas

Some of the ALB mets were predicting 50-55 south and east of there today. I hope for your sake you avoid that.

I'm sure I'll jump into the 40's soon enough ...this is a cold enclave now.

So I guess I'm heading into Spring going down to Gotham today. I know...I'll imagine it's a brisk early October day there and winter with all it's promise is still ahead. LOL

31/29, zr, nasty glaze, snowpack intact.

Some of the ALB mets were predicting 50-55 south and east of there today. I hope for your sake you avoid that.

I'm sure I'll jump into the 40's soon enough ...this is a cold enclave now.

So I guess I'm heading into Spring going down to Gotham today. I know...I'll imagine it's a brisk early October day there and winter with all it's promise is still ahead. LOL

The ZFP for here is calling for upper-40's. Yuck.

31.4/31

Archived