• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

I tell ya, watching this vort coming in on the NAM, it continues to tend stronger and to dig further south. If it keeps this up, its going to pop something on the strong thermal gradient off the coast. Gotta watch that.

The H5 differences between 12 and 18z are rather large. It's digging a lot more, rising heights on the coast. I wouldn't be shocked if the DGEX blows it up at 18z for a weenie solution.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The H5 differences between 12 and 18z are rather large. It's digging a lot more, rising heights on the coast. I wouldn't be shocked if the DGEX blows it up at 18z for a weenie solution.

No, I am talking about the vort between 30 and 50 hours, not the clipper wave that crapped the bed already.

Problem is the lack of confluence to the norther and the lack of ridging out west really prevent this from digging much more so its probably a lost cause, more of an observation than anything else.

No, I am talking about the vort between 30 and 50 hours, not the clipper wave that crapped the bed already.

Problem is the lack of confluence to the norther and the lack of ridging out west really prevent this from digging much more so its probably a lost cause, more of an observation than anything else.

Ok, but I'm talking about the clipper Sunday. large differences between runs.

It started as rain at Binghampton 11 19:53 SE 12 10.00 Light Rain OVC042

1600 feet as well as Albany. 12 00:51 SE 7 G 17 10.00 Light Rain BKN024 BKN036 OVC060 37

So it makes it hard to believe anyone in Jers experienced snow!

There were a couple of reports of snow mixing in near/along the Kittatinnys once the precipitation intensity increased.

Im on the east side slope of the Shawangunk Ridge which is pretty much an extension of the Kittatinnys and areas above 1100' had around 2"..

Yeah there was a window of opportunity it looked like off the forecast soundings with enough dry air around to evap & dynamically cool the sounding to snow for a bit.

Strong torch signal, post Jan. 20th on all the ensemble guidance this morning. The -WPO/EPO/AO retrogrades back into Central Sibera and North Atlantic Ridge gradually expand west into the Eastern US. This is just the 6z GEFS:

Good. Let it torch if we can't even get one flake of snow. Maybe we can go for the futility record in Feb/Mar.

Don Sutherland fwiw cancelled February.

Are you basing that on his post in the Medium Range discussion? If so, I wish you'd try to paraphrase more accurately. Don is very careful is his posting to not make such broad, definitive statements such as what you're crediting to him. If you read his comment he says IF nothing changes the stage COULD be set for a warm Feb. That doesnt equate to what you posted..

It would also seem unlikely that it would be warm the entire month. And the heart of February is still over a month away so I'm sure he wouldn't make that announcement. Either way it belongs in banter as does anything from someone who is not doing the posting themselves.

Are you basing that on his post in the Medium Range discussion? If so, I wish you'd try to paraphrase more accurately. Don is very careful is his posting to not make such broad, definitive statements such as what you're crediting to him. If you read his comment he says IF nothing changes the stage COULD be set for a warm Feb. That doesnt equate to what you posted..

It would also seem unlikely that it would be warm the entire month. And the heart of February is still over a month away so I'm sure he wouldn't make that announcement. Either way it belongs in banter as does anything from someone who is not doing the posting themselves.

Agreed. I think that if we all wanted to hear what JB, DT, DS, ABCDEFG had to say about the patterns, etc, we would go their sites or view their posts...i for one am sick of hearing their useless bull**** that is constantly wrong. How many times is JB going to change his forecast. Its a joke.

Agreed. I think that if we all wanted to hear what JB, DT, DS, ABCDEFG had to say about the patterns, etc, we would go their sites or view their posts...i for one am sick of hearing their useless bull**** that is constantly wrong. How many times is JB going to change his forecast. Its a joke.

Strongly agree-either this pattern has them completely fooled or they are just trying to bring traffic to their respective websites.

on topic, some pretty good winds buffeting me right now as the rain has lifted out. Breaks of sun too

As I mentioned yesterday most of them are just looking for bragging rights to be able to say they sniffed out the pattern change first. But it's gotten ridiculous how their thoughts change on a daily, almost model run to model run basis. I'd sooner trust whether or not my grandmother's elbow is acting up as a better indicator.

Not to mention accuweather calling for blizzard conditions in Chicago...what a joke

Noticeable differences with the GFS and ECM in the medium-long range - the ECM takes the ridging over Greenland and to the other side of the globe, closer to Russia, while on the GFS there's almost no ridging to be found.

post-1753-0-16878700-1326405237.gif

Regardless of these differences, there's no real blowtorch at least in the medium range, but at the same time there's still little snow to be found. Unbelievable that we've gone through so many storms since early December yet not even a single one had a set up that was even partially favorable for snow...

Lol, snow shower. This winter is a joke, we'll see but just having that one streamer reach right around here is like rolling 3 dice expecting to see 6's on all of them.

Well, it's the best that we can do this winter. No matter what happens, I have at least a trace here for the month so far. ;)

Archived