• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

It's not only the euro showing it. The Euro ensembles , ggem, and now the sref and nam are trending north.

The Nam is trending north, but not showing anything measurable. The 15Z SREF gave virtually nobody even a 10 percent chance for an inch of snow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

NYC area missed a great winter by just a few miles in 92-93. It wasn't great, but it wasn't a total clunker either.

Yes I agree, though just checking, the 12/12/92 event put down 16" at Yorktown Heights and a trace at CPK...Westchester County Airport (White Plains) measured 8.0". That was the winter White Plains beat NYC CPK 50" to 25", IIRC. Yorktown Heights measured 60.8" that 1992-93 winter.

Westchester County Airport received 15.0" of snow in the Superstorm.

The SREF bumped north again, but the NAM remains dry. A lot of times in these situations the truth lies somewhere in between the Euro/Euro Ens and the SREF QPF, which unfortunately means not much for most of our area.

However I still think it will be worth checking out..there's def. the possibility of some flakes which is a big change coming off the 64 F weather on Saturday.

Yeah the Euro is pretty cold with the storm around 84-90 hours. The GEFS are colder too...I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for this to trend a bit colder. The antecedent airmass is very poor...even over New England. So don't get your hopes up. But I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of some snow over the interior (NW NJ, SE NY, NW CT) at the start of the storm.

The gefs members are hinting at a storm day 5-7.

I like the look of the pattern in that timeframe. If we can get some energy from the SW to eject and hook up with the northern stream I think we could see an overruning event.

The GEFS don't get the 850 or 925mb 0c line past Staten Island at 72 hours. The 2m temperatures are cold too...in the low to mid 30's.

An outlier solution--but this run of the ensembles definitely brings snow to the interior and the potential for snow/sleet to the immediate suburbs.

Surface low WV/NC border to Ocean City MD and then due E.

The GEFS don't get the 850 or 925mb 0c line past Staten Island at 72 hours. The 2m temperatures are cold too...in the low to mid 30's.

An outlier solution--but this run of the ensembles definitely brings snow to the interior and the potential for snow/sleet to the immediate suburbs.

Surface low WV/NC border to Ocean City MD and then due E.

Big shift to colder on the models today. GGEM followed suit at 12z as well.

Here are the GEFS 925mb temperatures at their warmest point at 72 hours. 850mb temperatures are similar, maybe a hair cooler. A signal for some warmth in the boundary layer. But a very cold solution.

post-6-0-79181900-1326129832.png

Will be interesting to see the individual members to see how many are colder.

Archived