• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

My guess is that interior spots will have the best shot at seeing some frozen on the front end as the BL

looks like it will be too warm at the coast.

Definitely. But worth noting how the far north and west the NAM is compared to the Gfs and Euro now. The GEFS mean take the surface low off the coast of Ocean City MD. With the H85 and H925mb lows closed south of us, that could be the only way we get snow out of this set up.

Highly unlikely that the GEFS will be correct, but interesting nevertheless.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is def interesting. I was expecting some heavy rain/wind and temps in the low to mid 50s a few days ago. Now there's a chance of some frozen precipitation at least at the onset of it. I wonder if the colder trend will continue. I think chance are it will either stop and warm up again but who knows what can happen.

So far 12z EURO through 66 is a bit colder it would appear at all levels. It has almost a double barrel lp. Looks like primary into OV with secondary development off middle atlantic coast. Large area of confluence to the north which is kept in check by block. Not sure how I feel about this one, lots of times these can produce sleet.

From 66 on is a big fail. The primary low remains dominant allowing a lot of WAA ahead of it and into our area. Also as a result it tugs the secondary back west and hugs the coast keeping us warmer as opposed to letting the lp slip out to sea. Still a battle with the large confluence. Overall nothing of significance this run. Once again, these setups can often produce mix bags for the area where the cold/warm battle occurs.

Interesting trend to a colder storm on the models for Wednesday night-Thursday... This set up doesn't look like it will work for NYC, with temperatures a bit too warm, but the storm could start out as a mix for places like NW NJ and SE NY with 850mb/925mb temps cold enough at the start of the storm before a changeover to rain. New England should see the most out of this with a longer lasting snow/wintry mix.

For the longer range, the models still appear to be developing a gradient-like pattern starting around next week. It's still very possible that we don't see much snow as the pattern doesn't completely appear to flip, but if these improvements in the pattern are correct, I'm starting to think that our first snow chance that's more than isolated flurries could be perhaps in the 1/18-1/25 time frame.

Definitely. But worth noting how the far north and west the NAM is compared to the Gfs and Euro now. The GEFS mean take the surface low off the coast of Ocean City MD. With the H85 and H925mb lows closed south of us, that could be the only way we get snow out of this set up.

Highly unlikely that the GEFS will be correct, but interesting nevertheless.

Those 850mb and 925mb lows are closed to the south of us as well, on the GFS. But the low over the Lakes, is keeping a southerly or easterly component to winds, at those levels. .

Those 850mb and 925mb lows are closed to the south of us as well, on the GFS. But the low over the Lakes, is keeping a southerly or easterly component to winds, at those levels. .

Definitely. I was surprised to see the GFS ensemble mean be so much farther south and colder than the operational.

You can see the 500mb gradient developing on the models now. There is no PNA ridge for amplification at the time of the storm itself, but that may actually work in our favor for some overrunning type precipitation. Also, the shortwave that moves east on the GFS actually dives south inside 84 hours, crossing the International Border in Oregon at 78 hrs. The shortwaves are modeled to be quite potent ejecting out of Canada.

Also notice the confluent energy to the north which is pretty important in this general setup. Pretty big jump here on the operational models to some potential.

f144.gif

Without a PNA ridge, that shortwave diving down into the northern Great Lakes might act as a kicker instead of something that would help amplify the pattern. But with that gradient, overrunning potential is certainly there. And the confluence to the northeast is nice. We don't have a true -NAO, but if that confluence is real, we don't need one.

At 144 it looks VERY much like 96 at 13z on the 7th. (Surface)

1996 H5 featured a more meridional pattern overall, with a strong PNA ridge up through south central Canada, and a deep/amplified short wave with a ton of vorticity in the East. Closed off at h5. If you were going to make a comparison to a major storm, President's day 2003 looks much closer IMO. Much flatter ridge out West, short wave nowhere near as dynamic, and precip primarily due to overrunning.

Archived