• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

The setup at 500mb just does not look like one that would produce anything other than a near miss to me. I cannot even recall any storm that had that sort of setup at the upper levels where the system could manage to amplify enough and come up the coast. It almost has some characteristics of 2/83 and 12/09 in that the 500mb trough seems to basically intensify on its own with no real phasing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1996 H5 featured a more meridional pattern overall, with a strong PNA ridge up through south central Canada, and a deep/amplified short wave with a ton of vorticity in the East. Closed off at h5. If you were going to make a comparison to a major storm, President's day 2003 looks much closer IMO. Much flatter ridge out West, short wave nowhere near as dynamic, and precip primarily due to overrunning.

Yes, I just said that for the surface depiction.

The setup at 500mb just does not look like one that would produce anything other than a near miss to me. I cannot even recall any storm that had that sort of setup at the upper levels where the system could manage to amplify enough and come up the coast. It almost has some characteristics of 2/83 and 12/09 in that the 500mb trough seems to basically intensify on its own with no real phasing.

I agree that the concern with this one would be miss east (as opposed to rainy/warm); however, as I noted re PD II, the PNA ridge was actually even flatter in that particular scenario, yet the SW flow aloft on east coast allowed the sfc low to crawl up the mid atlantic coast. The positive NAO over the next week may in fact help us with this event, in tightening the baroclinic zone and enhancing upper ridging off the SE US coast.

I agree that the concern with this one would be miss east (as opposed to rainy/warm); however, as I noted re PD II, the PNA ridge was actually even flatter in that particular scenario, yet the SW flow aloft on east coast allowed the sfc low to crawl up the mid atlantic coast. The positive NAO over the next week may in fact help us with this event, in tightening the baroclinic zone and enhancing upper ridging off the SE US coast.

Its very unlikely with the pattern out west and over S Canada that this would be able to cut west, its either a miss or as you said one of those rare instances where a +NAO won't kill your chances at a storm. I'd like it if the surface high to the north was a bit stronger.

Dear god, just from the surface for 1 frame.

think about it, there is a reason its one of two nesis 5's, its a rare historic storm. Chances are, if you are trying to compare one frame of one run for a storm 144 hours out, its probably NOT going to look like 96 and even if it did, put it in banter so no one does what we are doing now.

i thought it was interesting how the GFS trended towards the euro in regards to holding back the 500mb low in the SW, yet it still managed to get a storm off the coast. This is a good sign as that northern stream could mean business. We'll see what the 00zs say

i thought it was interesting how the GFS trended towards the euro in regards to holding back the 500mb low in the SW, yet it still managed to get a storm off the coast. This is a good sign as that northern stream could mean business. We'll see what the 00zs say

If you are talking about the low that was there at 18 Z run at 150 hours ..it vanished!

Phantom storm!

If you are talking about the low that was there at 18 Z run at 150 hours ..it vanished!

Phantom storm!

its too bad that 500mb low doesnt get involved and just drifts in the pacific because with a lot of cold air around we would definitely get something

Would be the icing on the cake for not only the gfs to take away our storm, but to watch the south get a huge blizzard next week with a suppressed overruning event.

This is the sort of thing I mentioned is possible too, below is a classic example of one. A great setup with a massive strung out arctic high but it was just too strong.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1989/us0218.php

Would be the icing on the cake for not only the gfs to take away our storm, but to watch the south get a huge blizzard next week with a suppressed overruning event.

Would be nice for them, but very frustrating for us. Anyway, still a decent chance that tracks north, but we always have to worry about TOO N&W in this pattern. Did the Euro have a storm around then?

Would be nice for them, but very frustrating for us. Anyway, still a decent chance that tracks north, but we always have to worry about TOO N&W in this pattern. Did the Euro have a storm around then?

The 00Z Euro appeared to have a system Day 7-9 or so that tracked NW of us over NW NY and then exploded once over Quebec but it was easily a rain event for everyone south of Binghamton from what I could see. This is a very risky pattern though for models regarding low tracks, they will often take things too far north in these gradient pattern setups, particularly weaker waves. That was a major problem in 93-94, the models continually were driving systems N &W showing rain.

This is no way to run a pattern change - + NAO no -NAO in site - SOI neg. 1.69 and rising rapidly the last couple days - PNA negative and AO rising again in positive territory - same pattern is going to continue until further notice - wouldn't be surpring if Januanry ends up with 0 snowfall in NYC....

Actually it does, outside of meteorological winter. But during DJF, it always rains 1-2"+ in order to rub salt in a wound that's been opened several times over.

the rain events this summer were all soakers, the fall too. Its amazing.

Yes, I know they all aren't over an inch, but its amazing how the crappiest vorts produce a ton of qpf now, even in non-nino years.

Actually it does, outside of meteorological winter. But during DJF, it always rains 1-2"+ in order to rub salt in a wound that's been opened several times over.

Most storms look like weak, .25"-.50" type events but as we approach, they ramp up and turn into 1"-3" rain soakers. Been going on for over a year.

And is contintuing this "winter".

the rain events this summer were all soakers, the fall too. Its amazing.

Yes, I know they all aren't over an inch, but its amazing how the crappiest vorts produce a ton of qpf now, even in non-nino years.

And when there finally is a 2-3 week period of cold in February, there wont be any vorts or any systems at all. Watch.

Archived