• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

All of the SREF members came north by 50-100 miles with the precipitation shield for the Monday Night/Tuesday light snowfall possibility. The Euro at 12z brings very light QPF to the area. NAM has not been enthused, nor has the GFS.

Moving forward, we continue to carefully watch the stratospheric warming and its effects on the Pacific and Atlantic. Interesting few weeks ahead.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the SREF members came north by 50-100 miles with the precipitation shield for the Monday Night/Tuesday light snowfall possibility. The Euro at 12z brings very light QPF to the area. NAM has not been enthused, nor has the GFS.

Moving forward, we continue to carefully watch the stratospheric warming and its effects on the Pacific and Atlantic moving forward. Interesting few weeks ahead.

for this winter as of now the light snow event is atleast something for us, you gotta be happy about that. the support for a more favorable pattern for us as well is reason for us to atleast start to get excited about a possibility of setting us up for a decent end to this winter.

Moving forward, we continue to carefully watch the stratospheric warming and its effects on the Pacific and Atlantic moving forward. Interesting few weeks ahead.

I don't remember the last time there were this many differences within the 48 hour range... at least the potential for flakes is actually there. It's obvious that the pattern is terrible when a possible very light snow event in mid January is actually getting attention.

in the new age of weather extremes, would not be surprised to switch this pattern on a dime with something very big. May not be in the next ten days, but I really feel something big on the horizon, just a gut thing. Big weenie there and I should probably put it in banter but hey, something to rally the troops.

in the new age of weather extremes, would not be surprised to switch this pattern on a dime with something very big. May not be in the next ten days, but I really feel something big on the horizon, just a gut thing. Big weenie there and I should probably put it in banter but hey, something to rally the troops.

i was just thinking that the superstorm of 93' happened when that winter was generally a clunker, not saying to that extreme but its certainly possible we could get something big to happen

I don't remember the last time there were this many differences within the 48 hour range... at least the potential for flakes is actually there. It's obvious that the pattern is terrible when a possible very light snow event in mid January is actually getting attention.

Sometimes on larger scale systems we've seen this, its odd that on such a weak wave overall there are differences like this.

i was just thinking that the superstorm of 93' happened when that winter was generally a clunker, not saying to that extreme but its certainly possible we could get something big to happen

That was an epic winter for most of the NE though, places like Westchester and Danbury had like 50 inches of snow, it just sucked near the coast.

That was an epic winter for most of the NE though, places like Westchester and Danbury had like 50 inches of snow, it just sucked near the coast.

true the difference between what side of the hutchinson river parkway your on determined how much snow you got lollll. im on the coast and i dont have alot of knowledge of the 92/93 winter. the coastal areas always have the battleground as far as rain or snow.

There were 3 3 to 5' events just west of NYC. The first one ushered in the first arctic outbreak of the winter in early February. Mid Feb we got a slopfest and then a decent 4-5" event towards the end of the month. I believe there was a pretty big storm for the interior in early March and just when it looked like winter might be over the Superstorm started showing up on models. It would end up being the first 12"+ snow for many areas since Feb '83. A few days after the blizzard we had another 2" event or so for me I had roughly 28" of snow from 2/5 - 3/17. Previously to that we had the tail end of the great 92 storm where areas away from the coast changed to snow. There was one minor event in January but that was it.

true the difference between what side of the hutchinson river parkway your on determined how much snow you got lollll. im on the coast and i dont have alot of knowledge of the 92/93 winter. the coastal areas always have the battleground as far as rain or snow.

Euro ensembles looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

By day 10 you can see the gradient pattern setting up. It wouldn't take much of a rise in the PNA

to get a piece of the colder air to come south from Canada. Hard to tell how the amplification

would play out just yet.

By day 10 you can see the gradient pattern setting up. It wouldn't take much of a rise in the PNA

to get a piece of the colder air to come south from Canada. Hard to tell how the amplification

would play out just yet.

they get much better after that, I have them to 360 with a full spread of goodies.

The Nam also went north with tomorrow's little system.

H7 RH fields get fairly moist up to CNJ, and the timing would work well, 00z-06z, for very light accumulation if it trended north. Would be funny if the one time the SE ridge isn't underestimated is with this wave. And by funny I mean disturbing in a pathetic, twisted type way.

there is ridging but it gets pushed back west however the atlantic really starts to improve. Atlantic IMHO is far more important right now.

Thanks, that's what the GFS is suggesting in AK also. I would like to see a change first in the 6-10 on the Atlantic side to believe it though.

Euro ensembles looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

That is not what the pro mets are saying:

That's going to be a heck of a gradient pattern on the EC ensembles and potential nail biter at times

.By the end of the run the entire pattern retrogrades... the omega block toward Kamchatka and the PV from Baffin Bay west into NW Territories.

That is not what the pro mets are saying:

That's going to be a heck of a gradient pattern on the EC ensembles and potential nail biter at times

.By the end of the run the entire pattern retrogrades... the omega block toward Kamchatka and the PV from Baffin Bay west into NW Territories.

I know what they are saying, its my opinion the atlantic is more important, and its clearly improving on the ensembles.

Archived