• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Mid January Discussion

earthlight

The other short range models such as the HRRR and RR, now coming into range, also show light frozen precipitation in northern NJ around 2-3z (9-10 PM):

post-1753-0-29369700-1326740354.png

Perhaps a bit of snow could fall at the start, but with 850mb temps quickly warming above freezing, sleet would be more likely to fall after about 2-3z, with a changeover towards 12-1 AM to rain for NYC and its suburbs while the interior areas see several hours of light freezing rain.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the 18z NAM trended warmer in the upper levels. 12z had the 850 freezing line NE of the city between 00z and 03z. 18z NAM now has the 850 freezing line NE of the city between 21z and 00z :axe:

12z NAM had surface temps rising above freezing from SW to NW from ~ 03z to ~09z.

18z NAM still changes over SE sections about the same but holds onto sub freezing surface temps far NW till between 18z and 21z which is about the same as 12z.

Looks like the 18z NAM trended warmer in the upper levels. 12z had the 850 freezing line NE of the city between 00z and 03z. 18z NAM now has the 850 freezing line NE of the city between 21z and 00z :axe:

12z NAM had surface temps rising above freezing from SW to NW from ~ 03z to ~09z.

18z NAM still changes over SE sections about the same but holds onto sub freezing surface temps far NW till between 18z and 21z which is about the same as 12z.

time to start praying for Saturday, althought for me, it would be the worst possible day. My son's 1st birthday is Saturday and I've got a reservation at a restaurant with people travelling long distances.

I'm skeptical, on how the models are handling the warmth across the CONUS, in the long range. The 6-10 day the pattern on the 12z GFS and GEFS looks similar to what we saw the last 10 days of November. Huge, deep vortex over Alaska/NW Canada and another deep low near Greenland. The only difference may be that there is little more ridging being shown up into the Hudson Bay, this time around. That might cause a trough or cut-off low over SE Canada. That might keep New England at least, from seeing all out torch.

35d54l3.jpg

15hzfyw.jpg

xd8t9i.jpg

18Z RGEM Total Snow. Don't know why the RGEM, a normally warm model, has 5 mm snow (liquid equivalent) for NYC.

The 18z NAM was similar, with an inch of snow/sleet even down towards my area. You can see that it is picking up on the warmer thermal profiles near the coast, but still bringing an inch of wintry precip to parts of SE NY and CT.

snow60.gif

This is a very strong signal for a major/crippling ZR event for NNJ/NYC/LI and SNE area the last full week of January in the 1/25 to 1/28 timeframe. Hope this does not verify, but the ECMWF idea is very worrisome for crippling ice event being indicated. All potential, hopefully not realized. Best ice storm signal for somewhere since the mid 90's. Has sort of the Quebec and NNE ZR event from 1998 feeling to it in my opinion. Arctic high pinned in southern Quebec and 850's above zero should be concerning to all of the mets tracking these things.

925mb temps are still well below freezing. So we could see sleet in NYC and coastal areas, with any precip that falls early tonight:

It makes a lot of sense how we would see sleet. 850mb temps have been modeled to quickly go above freezing, as we're now seeing with the 850mb line near NYC. The 925mb temps as you showed are much colder with surface temps near freezing, so I expect at least a brief period of sleet for most of northern New Jersey, possibly including NYC, with the onset of precipitation in 2-3 hours or so. With the sleet, places that see it for long enough could see a coating, but outside of CT which has a better chance of starting out with snow, I don't see how there's going to be over an inch of snow out of this, if even that.

It makes a lot of sense how we would see sleet. 850mb temps have been modeled to quickly go above freezing, as we're now seeing with the 850mb line near NYC. The 925mb temps as you showed are much colder with surface temps near freezing, so I expect at least a brief period of sleet for most of northern New Jersey, possibly including NYC, with the onset of precipitation in 2-3 hours or so. With the sleet, places that see it for long enough could see a coating, but outside of CT which has a better chance of starting out with snow, I don't see how there's going to be over an inch of snow out of this, if even that.

I agree. I wouldn't be suprised to some flakes mixed in at the start too. But I think it would be mostly sleet accumulation.

It definitely looks like a period of sleet mostly N of the City. Transitioning quickly to rain near the shore and toward the SW, with accumulating sleet to the NE. Some freezing rain/drizzle far to the north and in the higher elevations. The soundings support some snow esp far to the NE, but the UVVs are not very strong and might not overcome a fairly deep warm layer (though not very warm until after 6z).

Archived