• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs

KokomoWX

Thats some crazy warmth being depicted in the latter hours, When I saw that I was shocked,

This winter just doesnt want to happen. Look back in the records and you will find years that shock the mind at how bad they were. I think it was 1881-1882 that was utter garbage for SE Michigan. Detroit got like 15 inches.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look back in the records and you will find years that shock the mind at how bad they were. I think it was 1881-1882 that was utter garbage for SE Michigan. Detroit got like 15 inches.

1881-82 is mind blowing how warm/snowless it was. Its actually the 2nd least snowy winter on record (13.2")...the granddaddy of snow futility 1936-37 (12.9") was not nearly as warm. But 1881-82 had unprecedented warmth in Dec and Feb. It stands to this day as Detroits warmest winter on record (over 3 degrees warmer then the modern day warmest winters of 1997-98 or 2001-02). This was coming after the king of winters, 1880-81 with its 93.6" of snow and brutal cold.

So....1881-82 saw over 80 inches LESS snow than the previous winter, and the DJF temp was 15.4F warmer. Can you say OUCH?

From John Dee's site:

11-16 DAY FORECAST:

The outlook for this time sees a slow breakdown of the pattern than has robbed the central US of any real wintry weather for much of December. The large upper air troughs over eastern Russia, western Alaska and also over Greenland are indicated to become dislodged, which would allow for better chances for cold and snows across North America- especially northern sections of North America.

I Hope it comes true.

GFS and Euro are diverging big time early next week. GFS keeps the flow largely zonal for another week while the Euro continues to insist a big trough will carve out across the east with a big east coast storm and arctic air diving south across the midwest/lakes/ohio valley. I have no idea which is right. Neither model would drop any snow here.

GFS and Euro are diverging big time early next week. GFS keeps the flow largely zonal for another week while the Euro continues to insist a big trough will carve out across the east with a big east coast storm and arctic air diving south across the midwest/lakes/ohio valley. I have no idea which is right. Neither model would drop any snow here.

Euro has been owning and given that it has some support from the Canadian and a few GFS ensembles...i'm leaning hard that direction and hoping for some lake effect snow.

Pockets of 16C air in the plains are unprecidented for this time of year.

The lack of snow cover is allowing the Chinook winds to cause such major warming, kinda nuts.

It's hard to believe that most of the US is not snow covered, only the very northern fringes and the Rockies. The plains are pretty much open and absorbing tons of sunlight when there's no cloud cover.

I'm kind of hoping that the storm depicted by the Euro occurs on the 3rd or 5th. Would be an amazing storm, but not one I'd want to drive through!

Interestingly, January 2-3 is the anniversary of the big '99 blizzard.

GFS is just stupid. It has the same energy the other models have, but it surges it so far east, so fast, it completely blows my mind. So GFS.

While the foreign models have issues in the 144hr timeframe, they should. Sampling is pretty much a guessing game at that point and each ensemble partner has their own guess.

GFS progressive bias still there even with the updates in the model...

I don't know what to think about the clippers later in the week. The NAM takes the first one too far north for anything while the GFS basically has no snow where the NAM has the heaviest snow. The GFS has snow falling here by tomorrow night.

In general the 12z NAM has it the furthest north, the 12z GEM is just south of the Lakes, and the 18z GFS splits the difference. I would be so happy if I could just get 2 inches of new snow between the two clippers, but I know better than to expect two times the current snowfall to date in a few days time. They will find a way to miss or be mostly rain/slush.

In general the 12z NAM has it the furthest north, the 12z GEM is just south of the Lakes, and the 18z GFS splits the difference. I would be so happy if I could just get 2 inches of new snow between the two clippers, but I know better than to expect two times the current snowfall to date in a few days time. They will find a way to miss or be mostly rain/slush.

The difference might be what we get as the track. If anything these clippers will help build the snowpack to the north.

Archived