• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs

KokomoWX

they would need to produce snow for that to happen, going to be tough with warm boundary layer temps.

To be fair, I believe Geo was talking about snow up north...not Chicago. Thermals look fine for places like Green Bay, etc. Of course I'm using the 0z NAM, which is farther north than any other model at the moment...but the idea stands. Though the pattern going forward still sucks, so I'm not sure how much snow pack will be retained anyway.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I believe Geo was talking about snow up north...not Chicago. Thermals look fine for places like Green Bay, etc. Of course I'm using the 0z NAM, which is farther north than any other model at the moment...but the idea stands.

I agree with you. More northern areas is what I believe Geos was talking about.

To be fair, I believe Geo was talking about snow up north...not Chicago. Thermals look fine for places like Green Bay, etc. Of course I'm using the 0z NAM, which is farther north than any other model at the moment...but the idea stands. Though the pattern going forward still sucks, so I'm not sure how much snow pack will be retained anyway.

Oh i know lol even if they produce a bit of snow it warms up behind it.

oogly

00zeuro850mbTSLPUS240.gif

If you note though the ridge out west into the Pacific is already begining to build up towards AK/nw Canada again. Thus i suspect a glancing blow with that torch. IF the euro is to be believed anyways. As mentioned the past day or 2 the MJO is on the move again and models take it to Phase 6/7 and a few all the way to 1-2. That is alot more favorable for colder/stormier/snowier for this region and points south and east should it reach 8-1. It has been rotting in phase 4-5 for a good while now and yeah as we all see that is the worst area for it to rot. I wont breath easier though till i see it atleast into phase 6. lol

Yeah I was referring to northern half of Wisconsin to the U.P. I guess the snow could help cool the ground off! Of course if it warms up two days later with the sun out - all is lost!

Chilly night tonight, down to 21° at the house.

If you note though the ridge out west into the Pacific is already begining to build up towards AK/nw Canada again. Thus i suspect a glancing blow with that torch. IF the euro is to be believed anyways. As mentioned the past day or 2 the MJO is on the move again and models take it to Phase 6/7 and a few all the way to 1-2. That is alot more favorable for colder/stormier/snowier for this region and points south and east should it reach 8-1. It has been rotting in phase 4-5 for a good while now and yeah as we all see that is the worst area for it to rot. I wont breath easier though till i see it atleast into phase 6. lol

Well, the Euro is king. It's looking like some transient cold next week for the GL/OV, followed by a glancing blow of warmth by next weekend. After that, with the AO/NAO progged to go neutral, as a few have already mentioned, if we are going to get The Big One, the second week of Jan. would be the time frame to watch.

Well, the Euro is king. It's looking like some transient cold next week for the GL/OV, followed by a glancing blow of warmth by next weekend. After that, with the AO/NAO progged to go neutral, as a few have already mentioned, if we are going to get The Big One, the second week of Jan. would be the time frame to watch.

Lets be honest here. No model is king of hour 240. The past couple days the EURO was just showing a massive winter storm around day 7 which it has significantly back away from. This pattern has been very hard on the models. The models have been or at least seems worst than the normal anything past hour 120 is fantasy land.

I think it's the start of the pattern change. At least the AO/NAO show signs of going negative.

Better chance East and West of Town from South Boardman to Mancelona and from Maple City to Honor. Traverse City does not really get the big LES event.

That is true - it is hard for the city proper to cash in on a really good pure LES event. That said, in a due north to slightly north/northeast (020 degree) flow, localized convergence down the spine of Grand Traverse Bay can really pump out some impressive single bands at times. Have seen them pick up 12+" in 24 hours before from pure LES. Still, areas just to the east do much better as the flow over time tends to be more northwesterly or north/northwesterly. Upslope into the higher terrain (including around here in Gaylord) does wonders also. Our local office study suggests a general 10" increase in annual snowfall for every 100 feet increase in elevation - just amazing!

That is true - it is hard for the city proper to cash in on a really good pure LES event. That said, in a due north to slightly north/northeast (020 degree) flow, localized convergence down the spine of Grand Traverse Bay can really pump out some impressive single bands at times. Have seen them pick up 12+" in 24 hours before from pure LES. Still, areas just to the east do much better as the flow over time tends to be more northwesterly or north/northwesterly. Upslope into the higher terrain (including around here in Gaylord) does wonders also. Our local office study suggests a general 10" increase in annual snowfall for every 100 feet increase in elevation - just amazing!

I actually seen that happen once in Jan 1997. Crazy banding once you turned the bend in traverse City and started heading west on 72.

Ive been to South Boardman, Indian River, Maple City, Charlevoix and Traverse City countless tiimes for work from 04 through 09. I would work in Maple City but stay in Traverse City vice versa with South Boardman. I can tell you one particular time in the spring of 08' Over 2 feet of snow roughly was on the ground in Maple City and Kalkaska. Traverse City... only few Inches. Even the Locals will tell you have to go away from the city. Ive Notice the same with Charlevoix versus Gaylord, Boyne etc... Once you get north of Vanderbilt it almost completely shuts off the LES towards Indian River unless theres a rare WSW flow that can hammer the area. Petoskey received over 30" in one day on LES in 2001. Very very Interesting winter weather up there.

I have a place in Elk Rapids and it cracks me up that 10 miles to my ENE gets clobbered. Antrim county has got to be the prime location for the general region(chain o lakes)...well may I say 3 years ago it was..lol. Northern Michiagn has been robbed this Dec. But next late week could be insane up there if the wind flow is good.

Ahh if wasn't for my job and various reasons I would totally move full time to my place up there. Awesome Summers and snowy winters. My wife won't go for the move though. Lol. There's always retirement.! In 20 years..lol

Lets be honest here. No model is king of hour 240. The past couple days the EURO was just showing a massive winter storm around day 7 which it has significantly back away from. This pattern has been very hard on the models. The models have been or at least seems worst than the normal anything past hour 120 is fantasy land.

Let me put it this way. If I had to choose one model to use 4+ days out, I'd take the ECMWF.

Seems it's COD bound after a quick run through phase 6.

Seems it's COD bound after a quick run through phase 6.

That is EXACTLY what we want. Thus force the pattern change and then leave it as is which is usually what happens when it heads into the COD. Ofcourse there is always other ways to force a change but as we have seen the past month or so it is not that easy to do without that forcing.

That is EXACTLY what we want. Thus force the pattern change and then leave it as is which is usually what happens when it heads into the COD. Ofcourse there is always other ways to force a change but as we have seen the past month or so it is not that easy to do without that forcing.

:thumbsup: That would be awesome. Dont get me wrong, I will take a marginal event any day over no event, and I have admitted that weve gotten more snow than we should have in this rotten pattern...but I cannot WAIT for a pattern change. What I wouldnt give for some powder and to actually have to SHOVEL the snow. The cement has acted as a hot plate almost everytime it snowed this season so far.

:thumbsup: That would be awesome. Dont get me wrong, I will take a marginal event any day over no event, and I have admitted that weve gotten more snow than we should have in this rotten pattern...but I cannot WAIT for a pattern change. What I wouldnt give for some powder and to actually have to SHOVEL the snow. The cement has acted as a hot plate almost everytime it snowed this season so far.

Actually this last event was enough to ice up my drive way in the places where cars drove over it when there was snow on the ground...there's actually one little path of ice I can slide all the way down in the morning to get the paper...

Better chance East and West of Town from South Boardman to Mancelona and from Maple City to Honor. Traverse City does not really get the big LES event.

Correct at least down in town (its a bit of a river valley). The higher ground east and west helps with it's elevation to add lift. The city does get a ton of 3-4" LES events with double digits more occasional. My place was 8 miles SE on higher ground and forested area. In Nov/Dec of '95, we were the snow magnet zone. Winter Storm Warnings every other day it seemed. Had three Sleds, and 36" on the level at Christmas with 6" falling that morning. Couldn't ask for better - the stuff of dreams/winter fantasies..

Archived