EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs

KokomoWX

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canuck, what is the latets Euro showing for next Wednesday (4th) precipitation wise? Is the cold forecast to hold?

Nope. Transient (but intense) shot of arctic air. As we get towards next weekend we torch, although I'm still seeing signs the worst of the torch misses us to the SW. But either way, it's not even close to being hospitable for snow.

Early next week looks interesting around here. If we can get a strong NW wind to bring lake effect into the GTA I will be pleased. It happened last year.

Also, if we can get that clipper to develop (even a weak one like the EURO had), and track to our S/W, we could get some multibands of lake ontario on a SSE/SE wind towards late week. Delta-Ts would still be plenty high enough to support lake effect.

Also, if we can get that clipper to develop (even a weak one like the EURO had), and track to our S/W, we could get some multibands of lake ontario on a SSE/SE wind towards late week. Delta-Ts would still be plenty high enough to support lake effect.

JB has tweeted that the Canadian is more robust on the clipper, but I can't tell if he means the Ohio Valley and mid-Atlantic and can't ascertain what day he is referring to.

To be honest I hope we don't get steady snow along the 401 corridor between Toronto and Ottawa on Wednesday 4th. In fact it's the one day this winter when I could really do without snow! lol

JB has tweeted that the Canadian is more robust on the clipper, but I can't tell if he means the Ohio Valley and mid-Atlantic and can't ascertain what day he is referring to.

To be honest I hope we don't get steady snow along the 401 corridor between Toronto and Ottawa on Wednesday 4th. In fact it's the one day this winter when I could really do without snow! lol

I think he's referring to the same clipper as I am.

Welp, if it looks like it's going to snow on Wednesday, you can always leave early.

Kind of a quick and dirty way to look at the long range on the GEFS, but these are usually decent guide to the future...or what the ensembles are looking like. I've followed them for awhile, and while not accurate to the tenth degree...they've been good with the persistent warmth so far. Needless to say, the 12z suite seems to indicate a change afoot in western and central Canada down the road. Of course it could mean squat for us, but any change is somewhat interesting to me.

Loop here (drag your cursor over the days at the top to loop, day one has no map)http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ENSTDEP2_12z/tloop.html

Looks like there's some potential for very strong wind gusts tomorrow night, but especially on Sunday over much of the Midwest. Surface low will continue to tank as it heads towards Canada while a 1040+mb high rolls into the Plains. With unidirectional flow through the column, and very strong winds right off the deck on Sunday we could see some widespread 40-50mph gusts.

DVN hit it pretty hard with the new AFD...

SATURDAY NIGHT...LOOKING AT THE SURFACE LOW TRACKING JUST NORTH OF

THE CWFA WITH THE COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE BY 06Z. MAIN IMPACT WILL BE

WIND AS THE SURFACE PRESSURE GRADIENT TIGHTENS TO MORE THAN 13MB

ACROSS THE AREA AND 850MB WINDS INCREASE TO 50+KTS. GIVEN THE

HOLIDAY WEEKEND...AND IN COLLABORATION WITH NEIGHBORING OFFICES...

WILL POST WIND ADVISORY FOR SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. IF FULL

MIXING IS ACHIEVED ON SUNDAY...COULD EVEN SEE SOME HIGH WIND WARNING

CRITERIA GUSTS.

Kind of a quick and dirty way to look at the long range on the GEFS, but these are usually decent guide to the future...or what the ensembles are looking like. I've followed them for awhile, and while not accurate to the tenth degree...they've been good with the persistent warmth so far. Needless to say, the 12z suite seems to indicate a change afoot in western and central Canada down the road. Of course it could mean squat for us, but any change is somewhat interesting to me.

Loop here (drag your cursor over the days at the top to loop, day one has no map)http://www.meteo.psu..._12z/tloop.html

yeah I've been following the developments. The main change everyone needs is to get that Alaskan vortex out of there. Once it's gone, it will stop flooding Canada/US with warmer air and we can finally get a trough in the west/central US. Both the Euro ensembles and GFS have been indicating this in the extended 10+ day range.

yeah I've been following the developments. The main change everyone needs is to get that Alaskan vortex out of there. Once it's gone, it will stop flooding Canada/US with warmer air and we can finally get a trough in the west/central US. Both the Euro ensembles and GFS have been indicating this in the extended 10+ day range.

Yep, agreed on the vortex needing to get out of Alaska. As it is, it looks like the cold starts dumping into western/central Canada...which is good step in the right direction. How long it is until we realize its effects are still out in the distance. Looks like we'll get no help from the Atlantic side anytime soon, so it'll have to be +PNA driven. But looks like there could be hope on the horizon.

Yeah, the weather is looking like crap by next weekend. I'm telling you, it's Roger Smith all the way. He called for blowtorch conditions around January 7th this past Fall!

I remember that because Jan. 7th is my birthday. I was thinking that I haven't seen many torches on my birthday. If he's right, I'll drink a toast to him. :sizzle:

Yep, agreed on the vortex needing to get out of Alaska. As it is, it looks like the cold starts dumping into western/central Canada...which is good step in the right direction. How long it is until we realize its effects are still out in the distance. Looks like we'll get no help from the Atlantic side anytime soon, so it'll have to be +PNA driven. But looks like there could be hope on the horizon.

I think it looks pretty good, at least better than what we have been seeing recently. There's more of a La Nina look to the pattern, just have to worry about the SE ridge getting too strong and hope that the Alaskan vortex doesn't come back.

Might be a "3 day torch" though the GFS's bias of being overly progressive in the medium range is coming back into play. Moves trough a little to fast for my taste.LIke to see it develope a system and put some snow over the plains/upper midwest.

Yeah, when that vortex breaks down, that is when the pattern change will be complete, but the actual time is up for grabs.

Yeah, I'm just glad it's continuing to show it breaking down run after run and it hasn't been 'stuck' at like Day 14, it's been moving forward.

I'm not exactly sure I buy the gradient W-E pattern though, that's up in the air. Baby steps though and that vortex breaking down in a consistent fashion makes me happier.

Monday looks to be the most "wintry feeling" day to date this winter here. Kinda sad, but it'll be nice nonetheless. Point and click below.

Monday: A chance of flurries after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 25. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 21 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.

Monday Night: A chance of flurries. Partly cloudy and blustery, with a low around 13.

the 6z GFS deffinately shows a light snow event for Wednesday. Still debating whether or not to make my journey between Toronto and Ottawa given it is a day trip, not an overnight one. Given the models seem to be all over the place, I may have to wait until Monday or tuesday before deciding. Canada's Weather Network is calling simply for a few flurries, while EC is calling for periods of snow in Ottawa for Wednesday.

Archived