December 23 Snow Obs Thread

dendrite

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at obs, it seems like it took close to 2000 feet in ENY to get an inch of snow. Well west toward Cooperstown some people pulled it off with 1600'. And that's about it for this fail.....

Huge flakes here now, but too little too late I think. Faster speed was a killer...the extra 2 hours or so to flip done most of us in.

Indeed, very beautiful. Slick stuff. Merry Christmas Scott and the same to all the other snow freaks!!!! Later.

Same to you Pete! Very joyous mood early this morning at the ski resort... its not much but cosmetically it does wonders for the overall look and feel of the town and mountain. It looked so nice this morning with all the holiday lights on and quietly falling snow.

Looking at obs, it seems like it took close to 2000 feet in ENY to get an inch of snow. Well west toward Cooperstown some people pulled it off with 1600'. And that's about it for this fail.....

I'm not tremendously surprised by the lack of snow imby and region wide. A swfe moving into temps that were in the upper 40's and low 50's is generally not a recipe for success.

I'm glad ski country is at least pulling off a few inches.

Well you were warmer yesterday. Around here it was mid/upper 30's as it started, but I didn't anticipate the torched boundary layer so we really couldn't drop at all..... But it looked doomed around midnight so I went to bed.

I'm not tremendously surprised by the lack of snow imby and region wide. A swfe moving into temps that were in the upper 40's and low 50's is generally not a recipe for success.

I'm glad ski country is at least pulling off a few inches.

Well you were warmer yesterday. Around here it was mid/upper 30's as it started, but I didn't anticipate the torched boundary layer so we really couldn't drop at all..... But it looked doomed around midnight so I went to bed.

Thought you'd be able to pull off an inch and I'd see some flakes...but when I was up and checked the temp at 1:30 and saw it was still 42, I knew it was over. Wish I could erase this one from my memory.

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.20” L.E.

I’m not sure what time it started, but we’ve got light snow here at the house, and it’s even calm for this location – it’s dead still out there, so the snow is falling straight down and you can see it in the pattern of accumulation. There are another couple of tenths of an inch on the board since the 6:00 A.M. clearing. The air temperature is a touch above 32 F, and the snow was a bit dense, but still coming in at under 10% H2O.

I’ve added in the north to south list for totals at the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen report in so far. There are still several resorts that haven’t reported in yet, including anything south of Killington, but from the numbers it seems that the Central Vermont Ski Areas are doing well so far:

Jay Peak: 1”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 2”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 4”

Killington: 4”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.0

Snow Density: 9.1% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

I can't get over how beautiful 2" looks out there and its still coming down pretty steady. We had 0.2-0.3" last hour which is about right for these light snow events, so 2.1" so far.

Hoping the models are right in lingering light snow over this area for quite a while today.

Hopefully you have upslope snow everyday this winter

Event totals: 2.2” Snow/0.20” L.E.

I’m not sure what time it started, but we’ve got light snow here at the house, and it’s even calm for this location – it’s dead still out there, so the snow is falling straight down and you can see it in the pattern of accumulation. There are another couple of tenths of an inch on the board since the 6:00 A.M. clearing. The air temperature is a touch above 32 F, and the snow was a bit dense, but still coming in at under 10% H2O.

I’ve added in the north to south list for totals at the Vermont ski areas that I’ve seen report in so far. There are still several resorts that haven’t reported in yet, including anything south of Killington, but from the numbers it seems that the Central Vermont Ski Areas are doing well so far:

Jay Peak: 1”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 2”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 4”

Killington: 4”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.0

Snow Density: 9.1% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.0 inches

Got some conflicting reports from the groomers this morning, so I just reported what I have here at the base area (2"). Knowing how this works though, there's probably at least 3" another 2,000+ feet above my head near the top. Sweet snow too because its got some moisture to it so this will do wonders for surface conditions... also no wind so its not all blowing into the woods like upslope snow does.

Hopefully you have upslope snow everyday this winter

Uh oh... do remember that all these little snows we've gotten up here still pale in terms of your total from the October event. While you were getting 12-14" we were smoking cirrus, in October. It will take us 4 of these events to get to the totals interior SNE saw from October.

Got some conflicting reports from the groomers this morning, so I just reported what I have here at the base area (2"). Knowing how this works though, there's probably at least 3" another 2,000+ feet above my head near the top. Sweet snow too because its got some moisture to it so this will do wonders for surface conditions... also no wind so its not all blowing into the woods like upslope snow does.

Thanks for the update PF – I just saw that Bolton Valley came in with their report at 2” at 6:54 A.M., although I suspect they’ll be getting some more based on the radar.

Thanks for the update PF – I just saw that Bolton Valley came in with their report at 2” at 6:54 A.M., although I suspect they’ll be getting some more based on the radar.

I'm figuring we end up with something like 2.5-3.5" from bottom to top but we'll see how it plays out over the next few hours. I'll be able to go up and get a good measurement up high in just a little bit. Putting the boots on now.

Archived