• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
If it isn't going to snow, do you still want cold?

Fozz

163 members have voted

1. 1. Dry cold or torch?

• Yes, in the winter, I want it cold
    • No, I'd rather have a torch than deal with cold without it snowing

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely. I love cold. I love winter in general. I want winter to feel like winter (and yes I pay for my own heat). I absolutely hate this weather we are having, especially around Christmas. My AIR CONDITIONER has been running the last few days it heated up so much in my condo. That's just gross for late December.

And for the warm lovers in here, I don't get it. If you like snow, I feel like you by definition must like cold. You may say "if it's not gonna snow it might as well be warm." The problem with that is cold is necessary for snow. Especially around here, the number one culprit for lack of snow is lack of cold air. Put another way - at least when it's cold, you know snow is possible. When it's warm, forget it. So I really don't understand how snow lovers can dislike cold.

• 1 year later...

I seriously would rather be in Bismarck than have 50s and 60s in January

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.8083268&lon=-100.78373920000001&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Bismarck%2C%20ND%2C%20USA

Friday Snow with patchy blowing snow. High near 15. Blustery, with a north wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Friday Night Snow with patchy blowing snow. Low around -1. Blustery. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Saturday Patchy blowing snow and a slight chance of snow. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 4. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -11.

Sunday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 6.

Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -8.

Monday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 7.

Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -2.

Tuesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.

Most of my wife's family lives in Alaska, near and around Anchorage.  They have been suggesting to us for a while that we should move there.  Until our kids are grown, I probably won't consider it, but it is a likely retirement destination if all goes according to plan.

In the meantime, my requests for them to repeatedly dump hot water into the sea have gone unheeded. :(

i think i'm a mediterranean climate type of a person.  i'm not a fan of the cold, but not a fan of 90 degree days either.  the range of temps i'm comfortable with are 45-85 and preferably 55-75.  that said, i still love a good snowstorm.  it makes winter worth dealing with.

Absolutely. I love cold. I love winter in general. I want winter to feel like winter (and yes I pay for my own heat). I absolutely hate this weather we are having, especially around Christmas. My AIR CONDITIONER has been running the last few days it heated up so much in my condo. That's just gross for late December.

And for the warm lovers in here, I don't get it. If you like snow, I feel like you by definition must like cold. You may say "if it's not gonna snow it might as well be warm." The problem with that is cold is necessary for snow. Especially around here, the number one culprit for lack of snow is lack of cold air. Put another way - at least when it's cold, you know snow is possible. When it's warm, forget it. So I really don't understand how snow lovers can dislike cold.

i like a good snowstorm, but i bet if i lived in buffalo, i would probably get sick of the snow after a couple months.  some things are better together, some are better apart.  snow and cold are better together imo.  snow and warm would be weird, and no snow and cold is sort of blah.

Yes cold!  I am sick of bugs in the winter and unfrozen ponds.  I would be okay with prolonged cold and dry just to see the ground freeze deep and have lakes and ponds freeze enough to play hockey again.  As amazing as Feb 2010 was, it did not bring the cold like Jan/Feb 1996 did.  That winter had it all imho.

It would be interesting to see what the temps were for, say, the three or four days prior to each of our areawide 3"+ events. I'd be really curious to see if the stats bear out the idea that we need extended cold in order to get decent snow.

it's probably a good general rule that we do need cold or at least near normal given our averages compared to the temp you need for snow. it was warm before the jan 30 "cold snow", tho of course the month and winter were cold. feb 2006 was warmish and we got a big snow.

Warm.. Not like 60 is that warm anyway

I agree. Cold temperatures just aren't pleasant in my opinion. 

Just like you said it doesn't even get that warm here in the winter anyway. I couldn't deal with 80 around this time but a torch day of 65 every now and then is nothing to complain about. 

In the winter, even with no snow at all, I still want it vodka cold. Mild weather is for April. This is January. It's supposed to be cold. I waited all year for a decently cold January. And what do I get? Russia and China hogging all of the cold while I am forced to make do with 75 degrees on Jan 13.

I'll take brown grass. Just give me decent cold, 17 degrees in the daytime with -5 at night. With a 30-40 mph North breeze. I'll be out luxuriating on a leisurely jebwalk.

In the winter, even with no snow at all, I still want it vodka cold. Mild weather is for April. This is January. It's supposed to be cold. I waited all year for a decently cold January. And what do I get? Russia and China hogging all of the cold while I am forced to make do with 75 degrees on Jan 13.

I'll take brown grass. Just give me decent cold, 17 degrees in the daytime with -5 at night. With a 30-40 mph North breeze. I'll be out luxuriating on a leisurely jebwalk.

Yes, there are a lot of jobs that depend on the winter cold, like our ski industries. Even if it doesn't snow, they can still have a banner year with the cold temps and machine made snow.

Archived