• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
If it isn't going to snow, do you still want cold?

Fozz

163 members have voted

1. 1. Dry cold or torch?

• Yes, in the winter, I want it cold
    • No, I'd rather have a torch than deal with cold without it snowing

Yes, there are a lot of jobs that depend on the winter cold, like our ski industries. Even if it doesn't snow, they can still have a banner year with the cold temps and machine made snow.

Well, I hope that all the places that need winter snow for their local economies, receive plenty of snow this winter. :snowing:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unless someone pays your heating bills than cold must come with snow. I don't mind cold in between snow storms to keep the snow on the ground but a long period of cold with out snow is just brutal.  That is why they call it the brutal cold.  Seriously... what good comes of it?  Our bodies naturally don't like it, and we are dependent on so many things to deal with it.

Just my opinion.

unless someone pays your heating bills than cold must come with snow. I don't mind cold in between snow storms to keep the snow on the ground but a long period of cold with out snow is just brutal.  That is why they call it the brutal cold.  Seriously... what good comes of it?  Our bodies naturally don't like it, and we are dependent on so many things to deal with it.

Just my opinion.

..uh...we get snow?

I think there is a big group of folks out there (myself included) that simply enjoy 4 distinct seasons a year and a warm winter doesn't meet that criteria. Plain and simple. If it doesn't snow but it's cold I can take my kids ice skating on the canal or my buddy's farm pond. I like dressing properly and hiking in the cold. It's invigorating. Much moreso than sweating my damn eyeballs out climbing the stairs at sugarloaf mtn. 

My body doesn't like 95-100 degree heat and humidity. I simply can never be comfortable with sweat running through my eyes and down my drawers and there's nothing you can do to stop it unless you sit in some AC somewhere.  It's freekin gross. When it's cold I can dress for all temps and always be comfortable. I enjoy warmth every bit as much as cold throughout a year. Take away either and I'm not satisfied. 

In descending order of "like", most desirable at top:

- Very cold, lots of snow

- Very cold, moderate snow

- Moderate cold, lots of snow (ala '09-'10)

- Moderate cold, moderate snow

- Very cold, lo/no snow

- Moderate cold, lo/no snow

- Lo/no cold, moderate snow

- A million other things

- Lo/no cold. lo/no snow

- Fall

- Spring

- Summer

I still have not decided if I am going to retire in Garret County, MD (typically styled after #3 on list), Vermont (#4 on list) or Quebec (usually like #2, relative to the mid-Atlantic).

My issue with cold for cold's sake is that too many times in my life I have seen it go to truly cold, but that usually means no snow in the places I have lived, as a ton of deeply cold air usually pushes systems away. And those times I have been in places where it gets to -20 or more or night with highs below 0 (happened more than a few times when I was growing up and living in southwest and central Ohio in the 70s and 80s), that's fun for about a second, but otherwise pretty damn uncomfortable. 

Days with highs just freezing? Sure. That's still a nice snow sweetspot. Looking for a truly crazy cold airmass? Not really my thing. 

My issue with cold for cold's sake is that too many times in my life I have seen it go to truly cold, but that usually means no snow in the places I have lived, as a ton of deeply cold air usually pushes systems away. And those times I have been in places where it gets to -20 or more or night with highs below 0 (happened more than a few times when I was growing up and living in southwest and central Ohio in the 70s and 80s), that's fun for about a second, but otherwise pretty damn uncomfortable.

Days with highs just freezing? Sure. That's still a nice snow sweetspot. Looking for a truly crazy cold airmass? Not really my thing.

I'm talking about cold by mid-Atlantic standards (like this coming week, for example). We never really get truly frigid cold around these parts (at least not since 1994)

• 11 months later...

my big issue is really related to snow....though I do like crisp cold sunny days...especially in February and march.....

Oscillating patterns are usually bad snow patterns for us...Once I know torches are an inevitability I am fine with them for the most part,....But 1st and foremost I want snow, therefore I want persistent cold/climo

i need some snowstorms to counter the cold and short days or else it just doesn't work for me very well.  this is why these last few winters have been rough.  if it's not going to snow i much prefer being out and about it in the 50s than the 30s/40s...those temps are generally uncomfortable to me, though every now and then i don't mind a frigid day just for the weather hobbyist part of it.

Makes no difference to me really. If its going to be a dry pattern, "normal" cold is  preferred over a torch though. Just with the warm day yesterday I saw wasps, black flies, and ladybugs. I look forward to no bugs in the winter. Also, a true arctic air mass with high temps in the teens is fine with me without snow. I like the crisp. fresh feel of the bitter cold air. Problem is, although we regularly get a few  +25 to 30 degree high departure days around here every winter, the -25 days are rare.

• 1 year later...

Archived