• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
What's your Season Total Snowfall so far?

TugHillMatt

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40" = New boat for me!!! The way this winter is going 4" might be a fetch.

Yeah of the 4.9" snowfall we had Id say 3-4" was what was actually on the main roads that needed plowing and stuff as it was in the low 30s pre-front. But yeah thats what I was imagining, our biggest storm coming in March. Im rooting for you to get that boat!

Yesterday's storm puts me at about 29.5" for the winter. I guess I should count my blessings because this area has gotten very lucky several times, most notably with yesterday's storm and the Jan. 13th storm. Nearly half the snow this winter has been from those two storms alone. Tomorrow will mark our 18th day with a snow depth greater than 1".

I need 23" to hit our average. I guess it's feasible but does not seem likely by any account.

The Marquette NWS put up a map a few days ago with snowfall totals since November 1st and they didn't show Houghton, but they had 75 inches for Laurium, Mi. Laurium is in the higher elevation north of where I live. But I went back to look at the map again and they took it off. So maybe it was an error. This is the first time in the 13 years of owning this house I never had to get the lower roof scooped off. Which is fine with me. Also, had no problems with big ice dams this year. The snow never stayed on the roof long enough to form any of them. At Michigan Tech they barely had enough snow to make their statues for Winter Carnival. The statues weren't as impressive as in years past. Maybe this is going to be the trend for winter now.

really? I think the lack of big, wound up Lakes Cutters has been pretty blatant this winter. Even weaker southern stream systems have been hard to come by. The last one was maybe 3 weeks ago. I'm running a small precip deficit for DJ compared to normal, and the departure becomes magnified compared to what I'd normally see in a Nina DJ.

but that's different...true there hasn't been the wound up cutters however we are sitting at record precip levels here in Ohio and we haven't had any shortage of heavy rain and even thunder this winter.

I still despise them for 2007-08. If they didn't bullsh*t about some of there numbers for certain storms we could have had a new snowfall record yet they jumped the gun when it came to Ottawa. I mean the Markham station recorded a good 21-30" above YYZ's number or 55-75cm which is really questioning esp the March Blizzard.

And dont even get me started about the early Jan 1999 storm.

Anyways, I'm not buying the final totals thus far at YYZ this year.

Last month, Environment Canada announced new funding for Environment Canada. Part of the new funding will go towards improving the climate data observation system. Hopefully this will include doing full quality control (QC) on all observations for the non-principal (or 2nd order) weather stations, like the downtown Toronto station at the University of Toronto, Thunder Bay, London airport and Kitchener-Waterloo airport. Full QC needs to be done on data from January 2007 to present. Only the principal weather statons (or 1st order), like Pearson Airport/YYX, have ongoing full QC. The missing data from Dec. 22, 2011 to Jan. 7, 2012 at the downtown Toronto station will remain missing until full QC is done. If QC is done, an estimate snowfall amount will be entered for Dec. 27, 28 and 29th, 2011, with the notation of E beside the amount.

FYI, the downtown station recorded 4.9 cm on up to 7-8 am Saturday morning. However, the amount for January 30th hasn't been entered yet.

Last month, Environment Canada announced new funding for Environment Canada. Part of the new funding will go towards improving the climate data observation system. Hopefully this will include doing full quality control (QC) on all observations for the non-principal (or 2nd order) weather stations, like the downtown Toronto station at the University of Toronto, Thunder Bay, London airport and Kitchener-Waterloo airport. Full QC needs to be done on data from January 2007 to present. Only the principal weather statons (or 1st order), like Pearson Airport/YYX, have ongoing full QC. The missing data from Dec. 22, 2011 to Jan. 7, 2012 at the downtown Toronto station will remain missing until full QC is done. If QC is done, an estimate snowfall amount will be entered for Dec. 27, 28 and 29th, 2011, with the notation of E beside the amount.

FYI, the downtown station recorded 4.9 cm on up to 7-8 am Saturday morning. However, the amount for January 30th hasn't been entered yet.

Thats good. We need some improvements to a number of stations and I believe YYZ needs better measuring tools. It isnt only in the Winter but in the summer. I was near Pearson one day in the summer of 2010 and a quick moving thunderstorm hit. I'd say atleast 5mm of rain fell, max 10mm yet EC only had a trace down???

Also I dont buy there final seasonal winter totals for 2007-08. I know more fell than what was actually said. For example during the March Blizzard, many of my friends only 5-10 mins away from YYZ said they got 10" atleast, yet YYZ only recorded a mere 6-8"?? I dont think EC rigs there numbers but needs better measuring tools IMO and needs to factor in snow ratios.

Again lets see.

Thats good. We need some improvements to a number of stations and I believe YYZ needs better measuring tools. It isnt only in the Winter but in the summer. I was near Pearson one day in the summer of 2010 and a quick moving thunderstorm hit. I'd say atleast 5mm of rain fell, max 10mm yet EC only had a trace down???

Also I dont buy there final seasonal winter totals for 2007-08. I know more fell than what was actually said. For example during the March Blizzard, many of my friends only 5-10 mins away from YYZ said they got 10" atleast, yet YYZ only recorded a mere 6-8"?? I dont think EC rigs there numbers but needs better measuring tools IMO and needs to factor in snow ratios.

Again lets see.

I agree with you on Pearson. However, on the flip side, they tend to overmeasure during wet snow events (snow that falls but most of it melts on contact). A perfect example was March 9th of last year. They recorded 10 cm of snow, but only 5 cm was actually on the ground. Or how about April 2-3, 2005. YYZ recorded 16.2 cm, but at best, only 5-7 cm was on the ground.

I would actually bet it as they would remember a mild winter that ended with a crushing snowstorm. Detroit has had a string of very snowy winters without a 12"+ storm (several 10" storms however). So people with short-term memory have probably learned to think of winter as a routine. Lots of snow on a frequent basis, lots of "snow-day" type storms (6-11") but no epic snowstorm that shuts you down for at least 2 days. The general public certainly has noticed less snow/snowcover/ice-cover this winter, but bet the bank a crushing snowstorm would not be forgotten.

BTW fwiw, I wasnt implying a 40" snowstorm LOL, I meant a big storm that would help push our season total to average.

Euro kinda has it tonight, after hour 200 LOL

I cracked 20" for the season with this past system (20.8" to exact) and FWA got to/exceeded 30". What an odd island of normal to above snowfall to date...in an otherwise crappy winter for the region. Pretty damn lucky.

The gradient between FWA and TOL is ridiculous. Depending on what TOL records, here, the difference will likely be over 15" (Currently 13.1" on the season there)

The gradient between FWA and TOL is ridiculous. Depending on what TOL records, here, the difference will likely be over 15" (Currently 13.1" on the season there)

Ridiculous indeed. LAF has IND doubled in season snowfall....though I guess it isn't that rare of a thing to happen (2007-08 winter being another example).

21.2" imby and 20.4" at DTW, which is only 7.8" below normal to date. A big March storm (which I forecast :whistle: ) away from maybe seeing climo snowfall after all. Now, Im not saying we will end up with normal snowfall, but I am saying that clearly any snow futility talk has been completely crushed and replaced with seeing if we can reach climo (42.7"). Also not out of the realm of possibility to see an above average season.

All that said, with the quick melting of snows causing sparse snowcover and the up and down temps causing a lack of ice on area lakes, plus throw in a little memories of how harsh recent winters have been, and I can GUARENTEE you this winter will end up feeling so much more of a non-winter than the final number will indicate.

Even with a 10 inch march snowstorm( beter hope it hits in the night) still would put the area somewhere around 30 inches. ( obviously this depends on the final couple weeks of Feb)

<p>

Even with a 10 inch march snowstorm( beter hope it hits in the night) still would put the area somewhere around 30 inches. ( obviously this depends on the final couple weeks of Feb)

It would be more than 30" if you get a 10-inch storm....DTW will be between 21"-22" after today as it is....I suspect SE MI currently is between 18-28" on the season depending on local. But again, everything is all speculation as to what goes on the rest of the way.

<p>

It would be more than 30" if you get a 10-inch storm....DTW will be between 21"-22" after today as it is....I suspect SE MI currently is between 18-28" on the season depending on local. But again, everything is all speculation as to what goes on the rest of the way.

29.9" on the year here after the wonderful 0.7" this morning

Fairly decent between TOL and DTW too...seems like youve done better in your neighborhood than TOL a few times though

FWA: 31.3"

TOL: 14.7"

DTW: 21.6"

I cracked 20" for the season with this past system (20.8" to exact) and FWA got to/exceeded 30". What an odd island of normal to above snowfall to date...in an otherwise crappy winter for the region. Pretty damn lucky.

See below.

FWA is now +6.3" for the season. They keep jackpotting with these nickle and dime events. I want to jackpot with the big dog!!!

I just lol'd because when I posted the above, I hadn't even read you guys' posts. I just now scrolled though and saw them.

I live about 20 miles from FWA and they have received 1/2 to 1 inch more than me almost every event. Talk about a gradient island.

MLI still chasing the futility record. Yesterday's snow bumped them up to 9.4". Still 1.7" below the record lowest snowfall. Really don't see any snow prospects, so it's still possible.

Cyclone, my gut tells me we won't set the record. We'd have to go the rest of February, March, and April with only 1.6" or less. For sure a top five least snowiest seems all but certain...but its only mid February and as fickle as the models have been they probably shouldn't be trusted for to much beyond five days or so.

Your post earlier in the threat asked if March would be the first in a few years to get a decent snowstorm.... To be quite honest, I could see it happening this year- a nice big sloppy/wet snow that probably melts in two or three days just like all snow here this Winter.

Archived