• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
What's your Season Total Snowfall so far?

TugHillMatt

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our stats..23.0" on season through 2/23/12. Worst winter we have seen in a long time, but in hindsight it could be worse.

0.1-0.9" events: 12

1.0-1.9" events: 3

2.0-2.9" events: 3

3.0-3.9" events: 0

4.0-4.9" events: 1

39 days with T+ on the ground

19 days with 1"+ on the ground

8 days with 3"+ on the ground

Max snow depth: 5"

21 calendar days with measurable snow

It's not a pleasant thought to think that there is quite a list of winters that are worse in terms of snowfall. I guess it's the fact that none of the snow really stayed on the ground for longer than a day or two this winter. Around here, we had a nice snowpack of around a foot for about 1 and 1/2 weeks. Other than that, it's been little inchers that melt after a day or two, I was reading Wood tv's Bill Steffen's blog and he said 12 days in February were about 40. I've noticed the mosses and clovers really greening up. I keep saying it's been like a "Seattle winter" or "Vancouver winter".

You're not alone. Because of Friday's snow, North York is already past (although barely) their 2009-10 number.

Hey Canuck, Buttonville has an extraordinary 90.1cm (35.5") down thru Feb 29. WTFF?? Thats more than 2009-10 -_-

I mean..I'm in Vaughan and I only have 67.1cm?

Yet Pearson is barely cracking 40cm(16")?

Hey Canuck, Buttonville has an extraordinary 90.1cm (35.5") down thru Feb 29. WTFF?? Thats more than 2009-10 -_-

I mean..I'm in Vaughan and I only have 67.1cm?

Yet Pearson is barely cracking 40cm(16")?

Yup, that seems a bit high. Especially the Feb total. That's about double even North York's total. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if they have measurement problems of their own, or if their distance from the Lake/heat island has just worked for them in a winter where it seems a lot of our snowfalls occurred with marginal temps.

Yup, that seems a bit high. Especially the Feb total. That's about double even North York's total. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if they have measurement problems of their own, or if their distance from the Lake/heat island has just worked for them in a winter where it seems a lot of our snowfalls occurred with marginal temps.

Yeah but I live a couple of mins away from the station and I know many people around that area and trust me, that number is high. No other station in the GTA is that high (doesnt include NewMarket, Caledon, King City).

And even though I think this station is high, I think Pearson is too low. They've only gotten 4" for this month, like wtf? I'm sure if they have atleast 6" for this month plus about 24-25cm from Nov-Jan then we can be around to above 16".

Winter 1905-1906 saw 35.5cm of snow between December 1st and February 28th in downtown Toronto

Winter 2011-2012 saw 34.6cm between December 1st and February 29th. at Toronto Pearson

In terms of warmth, I would guess this has been perhaps Toronto warmest since 1931-32

They finally got around to changing that 2.2mm of rain on Feb 11 to 2.2cm of snow. The DJF total at Pearson now stands at 36.8cm.

They finally got around to changing that 2.2mm of rain on Feb 11 to 2.2cm of snow. The DJF total at Pearson now stands at 36.8cm.

Finally, but thats still very low compared to every other station in GTA, could they be bsing about that number?

BTW wasnt 01-02 warmer than this year?

Finally, but thats still very low compared to every other station in GTA, could they be bsing about that number?

BTW wasnt 01-02 warmer than this year?

Pearson suffers from a pervasive habit of shortchanging snowfalls, especially when they're a dry snow or there's wind involved. I don't think they're screwing around with that one total in particular.

To answer your second question, yes. DJF mean temp in 01-02 = 0.0c , in 11-12 = -0.4c

Pearson suffers from a pervasive habit of shortchanging snowfalls, especially when they're a dry snow or there's wind involved. I don't think they're screwing around with that one total in particular.

To answer your second question, yes. DJF mean temp in 01-02 = 0.0c , in 11-12 = -0.4c

Well it could be that. There numbers are always ominously low compared to other stations across the GTA whereas Buttonville is always extremely high. IMO I think the downtown station or the North York station are legitimately accurate.

Hmm.....thats interesting. What about 97-98.

31-32 was quite warm but as Ottawa Blizzard mentioned 1905-06 is comparing quite well with this year but I think that year had decent snowfall rates for Mar-April?

34" this winter so far, long time average is around 40" so not too bad considering there was no winter in the early months......

I think that is off? Guessing you got that average via GRR Nowdata?

40"? I believe its higher then that by 10" at least. Detroits average is 42-44" flint is around 48".

Yeah Lansings new average is 49" even. However that area does not get much LES either. I think even Detroit scores a little more. So it is possible that both places averages about the same. Thus probably around 42-44.. Problem with a number of stations out this way is missing data/snowfall. I believe the true average here is something like 64" because ala in winters like say 01-02/02-03/04-05/05-06 alot of data is missing. A few others too but those are more recent cases i know of. They only count what is showing for the averages.

It's not a pleasant thought to think that there is quite a list of winters that are worse in terms of snowfall. I guess it's the fact that none of the snow really stayed on the ground for longer than a day or two this winter. Around here, we had a nice snowpack of around a foot for about 1 and 1/2 weeks. Other than that, it's been little inchers that melt after a day or two, I was reading Wood tv's Bill Steffen's blog and he said 12 days in February were about 40. I've noticed the mosses and clovers really greening up. I keep saying it's been like a "Seattle winter" or "Vancouver winter".

Chances are you may never see a seasonal total below 30" if you stay there anyways.. Per modern records ( official ) Muskegons least snowiest winter was 48-49 with 32.0"..Next lowest is 35.5" in 82-83 followed by 44.4" in 52-53.. Every other season has seen atleast 50+.. :)

I think that is off? Guessing you got that average via GRR Nowdata?

Yeah Lansings new average is 49" even. However that area does not get much LES either. I think even Detroit scores a little more. So it is possible that both places averages about the same. Thus probably around 42-44.. Problem with a number of stations out this way is missing data/snowfall. I believe the true average here is something like 64" because ala in winters like say 01-02/02-03/04-05/05-06 alot of data is missing. A few others too but those are more recent cases i know of. They only count what is showing for the averages.

Since I've been recording snowfall in NE Oakland Cty. We average 58" per season. I figure its to high of amount I usually tell people we average 52" a year.

MBY is sitting at 25.4". This is my 17th year of measuring snow now, and my least snowy had been 27.2" in 1997-98. Will this winter be the new low? Way, WAY too early to tell, as even if the next 3 weeks are a torch, we still have a month of measurable snow potential to go. Of course, 17 years is not a long time. When you look at the official numbers, regardless of what happens rest of the way, this is not a benchmark futile winter by ANY means. Detroit (25.9" to date) has already been knocked out of the top 20 least snowy winters list (#20 is 25.1"), so once we can thankfully get this winter out of our minds, it will at least not be there as a constant reminder in the top 20 snowiest/least snowy winters list! So this past decade has seen just one winter in the top 20 least snowy (#19 - 03-04) and FIVE in the top 20 snowy (#4 - 07-08, #5 - 10-11, #9 - 08-09, #10 - 04-05, #13 - 02-03).

Still, very painful to look at this year amongst the last 10 imby...

2011-12: 25.4"

2010-11: 69.4"

2009-10: 46.1"

2008-09: 64.8"

2007-08: 78.2"

2006-07: 36.3"

2005-06: 41.9"

2004-05: 82.1"

2003-04: 38.0"

2002-03: 69.0"

Archived