• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
What's your Season Total Snowfall so far?

TugHillMatt

You are probably correct. However do note alot of maps still have not been updated yet to the new 1981-2010 normals yet. Plus i have found a number of them to be off. I do recall coming up with a average of about a inch a mile ( more towards the lake and less the other direction ) a while back. Is it about 10-11 miles from KBTL to there? Seems about right. The max down this way to our west is Bloomingdale with 94.1" for a seasonal average i do believe and it is about 34 miles away and thus how i came up with the inch a mile. lol Start losing some again further west because of the warmer lake water influence.

Yeah, about 10 miles me thinks. My sons live in B'dale. In a regular/good winter, driving to their place from Marshall is like driving 3 hours north. Its fantastic!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have now seen 49" of snow fall this winter.

A seasonal chart that GRR used to have showed an area between Pullman, Allegan and Bloomingdale that averages over 100". Unfortunately when they changed the NWS site a few years ago I have never been able to find that chart again (along with other good climate data they used to have).

With the snow Friday evening here I have finally broken the 8" mark...now up to 8.1". If you would have told me in November I'd only have that much by the end of January I might have been in shock. While I thought the experts were over-doing the cold/snow talk I surely thought we'd be up around 12-16" by now. But in any event the next few days will be fun to watch and see what things happen and how the models show things into mid-month. Again, not expecting a whole lot to get excited about around here... we'll see.

A surprising turn of events while I was in SEMI has pushed Waterloo at or above 20". Will receive confirmation in a couple of days. Looks like this city will be on par or even surpass the 09/10 blunder of a winter. I was really hoping for my first blizzard warning this winter...Environment Canada Toronto office began issuing them last year.

Yeah, about 10 miles me thinks. My sons live in B'dale. In a regular/good winter, driving to their place from Marshall is like driving 3 hours north. Its fantastic!

Thus where i wanna eventually live or atleast close to there say the west side of Kalamazoo.

And yep the seasonal snowfall here is now exactly where it was last winter at this point. Thought i might have a shot to beat it yesterday but ala like most things here when it comes to individual snow events it failed miserably and the better snows once again just missed. And even though i am a bit agrivated i still give this winter higher points then last winter up to this point anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

lack of activity has never been our issue down here

really? I think the lack of big, wound up Lakes Cutters has been pretty blatant this winter. Even weaker southern stream systems have been hard to come by. The last one was maybe 3 weeks ago. I'm running a small precip deficit for DJ compared to normal, and the departure becomes magnified compared to what I'd normally see in a Nina DJ.

YYZ is a little over 11". They need just under 9" to get surpass their futility record. With the way they're measuring, it looks as though they'll do all they can not to. :lol:

How much did they record yesterday. Given the cold temps yesterday they got about 2.2mm of precip..which may translate to about 2 inches of snow atleast otherwise I think they're just bsing. I would say 12 inches, perhaps?.

How much did they record yesterday. Given the cold temps yesterday they got about 2.2mm of precip..which may translate to about 2 inches of snow atleast otherwise I think they're just bsing. I would say 12 inches, perhaps?.

They rarely record ratios greater than 15:1, except for some rare LES events. So I'm guessing they'll come in with <3cm for yesterday, which as you say, is BS. But we're used to that.

They rarely record ratios greater than 15:1, except for some rare LES events. So I'm guessing they'll come in with <3cm for yesterday, which as you say, is BS. But we're used to that.

Thats sad. They should know better. Either give reliable numbers or dont give any. Ratios have to be factored in for every storm. I'm sure yesterdays storm had ratios around 15:1, perhaps greater, I dont know.

This is why EC p*sses me off sometimes.

21.2" imby and 20.4" at DTW, which is only 7.8" below normal to date. A big March storm (which I forecast :whistle: ) away from maybe seeing climo snowfall after all. Now, Im not saying we will end up with normal snowfall, but I am saying that clearly any snow futility talk has been completely crushed and replaced with seeing if we can reach climo (42.7"). Also not out of the realm of possibility to see an above average season.

All that said, with the quick melting of snows causing sparse snowcover and the up and down temps causing a lack of ice on area lakes, plus throw in a little memories of how harsh recent winters have been, and I can GUARENTEE you this winter will end up feeling so much more of a non-winter than the final number will indicate.

Thats sad. They should know better. Either give reliable numbers or dont give any. Ratios have to be factored in for every storm. I'm sure yesterdays storm had ratios around 15:1, perhaps greater, I dont know.

This is why EC p*sses me off sometimes.

It sucks that EC didn't switch the official Toronto observation location to North York when they moved their HQ in 1994.

It sucks that EC didn't switch the official Toronto observation location to North York when they moved their HQ in 1994.

I still despise them for 2007-08. If they didn't bullsh*t about some of there numbers for certain storms we could have had a new snowfall record yet they jumped the gun when it came to Ottawa. I mean the Markham station recorded a good 21-30" above YYZ's number or 55-75cm which is really questioning esp the March Blizzard.

And dont even get me started about the early Jan 1999 storm.

Anyways, I'm not buying the final totals thus far at YYZ this year.

I am up to 8.2" with the dusting from the other day. Looks like another 1-2" tomorrow/tomorrow night. Would still have a shot even with the upcoming snow of getting a least snowiest season on record. I believe our record is 11.9" so its gonna be close.

As for midweek... I bet any snow with that occurs mainly N or NW of the metro Quad Cities. Appears as if boundary layer temps will be a bit to warm to get snow to the surface. This has certainly been worse than I would have thought at this point.

I am up to 8.2" with the dusting from the other day. Looks like another 1-2" tomorrow/tomorrow night. Would still have a shot even with the upcoming snow of getting a least snowiest season on record. I believe our record is 11.9" so its gonna be close.

As for midweek... I bet any snow with that occurs mainly N or NW of the metro Quad Cities. Appears as if boundary layer temps will be a bit to warm to get snow to the surface. This has certainly been worse than I would have thought at this point.

I can't remember the last time we had a good snowstorm in March. Maybe this will be the year? :weenie:

21.2" imby and 20.4" at DTW, which is only 7.8" below normal to date. A big March storm (which I forecast :whistle: ) away from maybe seeing climo snowfall after all. Now, Im not saying we will end up with normal snowfall, but I am saying that clearly any snow futility talk has been completely crushed and replaced with seeing if we can reach climo (42.7"). Also not out of the realm of possibility to see an above average season.

All that said, with the quick melting of snows causing sparse snowcover and the up and down temps causing a lack of ice on area lakes, plus throw in a little memories of how harsh recent winters have been, and I can GUARENTEE you this winter will end up feeling so much more of a non-winter than the final number will indicate.

D

The headline would read," Detroit and surounding areas get seasonal average in one storm!!" So if this did happen would everyone remember the warmth or the crushing snow storm??

D

The headline would read," Detroit and surounding areas get seasonal average in one storm!!" So if this did happen would everyone remember the warmth or the crushing snow storm??

I would actually bet it as they would remember a mild winter that ended with a crushing snowstorm. Detroit has had a string of very snowy winters without a 12"+ storm (several 10" storms however). So people with short-term memory have probably learned to think of winter as a routine. Lots of snow on a frequent basis, lots of "snow-day" type storms (6-11") but no epic snowstorm that shuts you down for at least 2 days. The general public certainly has noticed less snow/snowcover/ice-cover this winter, but bet the bank a crushing snowstorm would not be forgotten.

BTW fwiw, I wasnt implying a 40" snowstorm LOL, I meant a big storm that would help push our season total to average.

Archived