• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's your Season Total Snowfall so far?

TugHillMatt

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you getting 106" from? I know it used to be over 100"..

Per GRR the average there now is 93.7" That is using the 1981-2011 norms. :)

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/geology/coastaldunes/environment/snow.htm

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2009/11/weatherman_expects_more_normal.html (This one is quoted from Ostuno of the NWS)

These, I assume, include the amazing winters from the 1970's.

I have also seen average seasonal snowfall for here at 97 inches...so it all seems to depend on the decades that are included. So, I'd say avg. snowfall is somewhere around 95 to 105 inches for here.

http://www.calvin.ed...onment/snow.htm

http://www.mlive.com...ore_normal.html (This one is quoted from Ostuno of the NWS)

These, I assume, include the amazing winters from the 1970's.

I have also seen average seasonal snowfall for here at 97 inches...so it all seems to depend on the decades that are included. So, I'd say avg. snowfall is somewhere around 95 to 105 inches for here.

Thanks. Yeah if you go to the nowdata section you will find a updated list of a slew of locations across W.MI. including there. Ofcourse there is still the issue of some missing data at a few sites as well. That has been a problem here an a few other sites.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=grr

I agree, for locales that don't average a ton of snow like DTW and ORD, it's not that hard to make up snow in the record books because a "typical" snow season isn't a winter blast from November 1 to March 31. Case in point, if every Saturday from Nov 1 to Mar 31, Detroit had a 1.9" snowfall, the winter would be roughly "normal" so every time you toss in a 4 inch storm in that pattern you have to skip the next Saturday's snowfall, and if you get a 6" storm, you have to skip any snow for 3 more weeks. For DTW, a typical winter IS full of relatively long snowless periods with a general hard hitting couple of weeks or two scattered about the season. Even if you truncate the snow season down to a meager 90 day window, you only have to achieve about 6 or 7 inches every half month to get to normal - not terribly difficult.

But of course, once you move to locales that start to average 70, 100, 130, 180 and so forth inches it gets progressively harder to make up snow because for those locales a typical winter IS a hard hitting blast of snow from Nov 1 to Mar 31. So each week lost of no snow there means a week lost of winter. A week lost of no snow at DTW is just another typical winter, whether those empty snowless weeks occur in mid to late December, January, February, etc is a crapshoot each year. Of course one would prefer the long snowless stretches to occur once snow is on the ground, which can definitely distinguish the quality of season between two seemingly normal low 40" winters.

Thats a good point. So far DTW has had 5.4" on the season and 4 days with 1"+ snowcover. An average winter yields 42.7" of snow and 49 days of 1"+ snowcover. So while NO snowlover can be enjoying the bare ground 5 days before Christmas, there is plenty of time for us to hit and even exceed average. Whether or not it happens is to be seen, but statistically only 15% of our snow season should be over by now.

Up north is a different story. While theres still plenty of time for great snow play, historic storms, etc....the time lost is a different story and a taller mountain to climb. No matter how great the rest of winter is, having bare ground in mid-December is costing them big time if they want to reach normal snowcover, and the snowfall deficit is also growing daily. The longer it lasts, the harder it will be to erase this deficit. And even if the deficit does get erased, it wont help the money business owners lose over Christmas week. And its a damn shame because theres nothing like going up north to DEEP powder.

Thats a good point. So far DTW has had 5.4" on the season and 4 days with 1"+ snowcover. An average winter yields 42.7" of snow and 49 days of 1"+ snowcover. So while NO snowlover can be enjoying the bare ground 5 days before Christmas, there is plenty of time for us to hit and even exceed average. Whether or not it happens is to be seen, but statistically only 15% of our snow season should be over by now.

Up north is a different story. While theres still plenty of time for great snow play, historic storms, etc....the time lost is a different story and a taller mountain to climb. No matter how great the rest of winter is, having bare ground in mid-December is costing them big time if they want to reach normal snowcover, and the snowfall deficit is also growing daily. The longer it lasts, the harder it will be to erase this deficit. And even if the deficit does get erased, it wont help the money business owners lose over Christmas week. And its a damn shame because theres nothing like going up north to DEEP powder.

I agree. Local businesses really suffer from this. We can still get big storms well into April though so all is certainly not lost. Some winter recreation can still be had up here in places though in the higher elevations where there is 4" of snow on the ground this week. It's still way behind what it should be though.

• 1 month later...

17"

With the first half of January looking more and more likely to pass snowless, odd of Chicago reaching top 10 least snowy status are looking good.

EDIT: Given the less than rosey long range of the 12z Euro, good chance we ride into february with little to no snow. Going to need nearly 20 inches in a month or so just to avoid a top 10 low finish.

:scooter:

Season snowfall totals to date, through this evening's climate reports. There's something really wrong here.

LAF: 17.2"

La Crosse: 16.9"

Flint: 16.4"

Madison: 16.2"

Dubuque: 16.2"

Duluth: 14.5"

Minneapolis: 14.4"

Rockford: 13.4"

Milwaukee: 13.2"

Detroit: 13.0"

Green Bay: 12.9"

Chicago: 12.9"