• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's your Season Total Snowfall so far?

TugHillMatt

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hurting up here in northern Michigan for snow. Unfortunately, this is the 3rd year in a row with greatly reduced snow up here, which is putting a big hurt on the ski/snowmobile industry. We have literally been bypassed on all 4 sides the past 2 winters with above normal snowfall, while we sit with 50-75% of normal. Quite amazing actually.

I'm up to just 11.6" for the season just southeast of Gaylord, which is 30+ inches below normal at this point.

Check out the story we just posted to our web site: So...Where is the Snow?

Really hurting up here in northern Michigan for snow. Unfortunately, this is the 3rd year in a row with greatly reduced snow up here, which is putting a big hurt on the ski/snowmobile industry. We have literally been bypassed on all 4 sides the past 2 winters with above normal snowfall, while we sit with 50-75% of normal. Quite amazing actually.

I'm up to just 11.6" for the season just southeast of Gaylord, which is 30+ inches below normal at this point.

(at least some of your missing inches have been landing in MBY snowing3.gif ..see sig for tally to date)

I know Dec 2010 sucked because of the blocking, but did you guys recover in the second half?

I know Dec 2010 sucked because of the blocking, but did you guys recover in the second half?

We tried to recover, but unfortunately for the ski/snowmobile season, we just had too much snow after March 15th that was basically "wasted" given the high sun angle and the fact that many resorts were closing early by that point.

The big issue is that the year before was one of, if not the least snowy winters since 1900. We recorded just under 80" for the entire season, and when your average is about 150", that's a big problem for all those industries that depend on winter for the majority of their business. So basically, this is the 3rd winter to start off so bad, and it's just killing the economy up here right now.

Looks like things might start to turn around about Christmas-time, but we shall see.

Meanwhile Detroit has averaged 150% of normal the last 4 winters (2009-10 was normal, the rest well above). I feel for you guys, because I LOVE going up north in winter. But at the same time i dont want our above normal snow stretch to end. Cant we have a statewide above normal season like 2008-09 :)

The Marquette NWS just published this today. I will tell you it is pitiful. Should have around two feet on the ground at my house for this time of year. I have two inches in my yard right now. Biting at the bit to get the sled out, but not enough snow on the trails, I also been putting off forking out $45 for a trail permit. Even if we get snow in January and Feb we won't have a decent base due to it constantly warming up melting it off.

2010:

SnowDepth2010.jpg

2011:

SnowDepth2011.jpg

The Marquette NWS just published this today. I will tell you it is pitiful. Should have around two feet on the ground at my house for this time of year. I have two inches in my yard right now. Biting at the bit to get the sled out, but not enough snow on the trails, I also been putting off forking out $45 for a trail permit. Even if we get snow in January and Feb we won't have a decent base due to it constantly warming up melting it off.

2010:

SnowDepth2010.jpg

2011:

SnowDepth2011.jpg

There's not THAT much difference (N. & E. of Superior, of course).

I've done amazingly well. For my latitude (approx. 42N), haven't seen anyone else beating my total. Need more people joining the party though!

There's not THAT much difference (N. & E. of Superior, of course).

I've done amazingly well. For my latitude (approx. 42N), haven't seen anyone else beating my total. Need more people joining the party though!

You have...you are probably above normal actually. I dont know whats up with that snowcover map, there was a T on the ground yesterday morning but not this morning. 4.4" imby and 5.4" at DTW, just slightly below normal to date. What I wouldnt give though for a snow I have to shovel lol.

I'm really starting to fear that this might be one of those historically bad years. It wad bound to happen some year.

For northern MI maybe (unfortunately), but we are actually already off to too "good" of a start for it to be historically bad. Through 12/19 we have 5.4" at DTW, 6.3" at FNT, and 9.2" at MBS. 85% of the season to go...I give all 3 SE MI climo sites a 1% chance at best of being in the top 20 least snowy winters on record.

What I CAN see, esp in a Nina, is this being one of those winters with above normal snowfall, below normal snowcover. I can see us seeing more inches of snow than days with 1"+ snow on the ground (like 1998-99). We will probably see several good snowstorms but Im sure you will be making quite a few trips up north for snowmobiling.

I'm really starting to fear that this might be one of those historically bad years. It wad bound to happen some year.

I already had one of those two years ago, albeit the causation was completely different. And 2001-02 was next to historically bad due to reasons more akin to what we're seeing now. Nah, I've had my fill of bullcrap the last decade. I'll get my 30-35" and this'll just be one of your typical suck winters. Nothing historic though.

For northern MI maybe (unfortunately), but we are actually already off to too "good" of a start for it to be historically bad. Through 12/19 we have 5.4" at DTW, 6.3" at FNT, and 9.2" at MBS. 85% of the season to go...I give all 3 SE MI climo sites a 1% chance at best of being in the top 20 least snowy winters on record.

What I CAN see, esp in a Nina, is this being one of those winters with above normal snowfall, below normal snowcover. I can see us seeing more inches of snow than days with 1"+ snow on the ground (like 1998-99). We will probably see several good snowstorms but Im sure you will be making quite a few trips up north for snowmobiling.

I agree, for locales that don't average a ton of snow like DTW and ORD, it's not that hard to make up snow in the record books because a "typical" snow season isn't a winter blast from November 1 to March 31. Case in point, if every Saturday from Nov 1 to Mar 31, Detroit had a 1.9" snowfall, the winter would be roughly "normal" so every time you toss in a 4 inch storm in that pattern you have to skip the next Saturday's snowfall, and if you get a 6" storm, you have to skip any snow for 3 more weeks. For DTW, a typical winter IS full of relatively long snowless periods with a general hard hitting couple of weeks or two scattered about the season. Even if you truncate the snow season down to a meager 90 day window, you only have to achieve about 6 or 7 inches every half month to get to normal - not terribly difficult.

But of course, once you move to locales that start to average 70, 100, 130, 180 and so forth inches it gets progressively harder to make up snow because for those locales a typical winter IS a hard hitting blast of snow from Nov 1 to Mar 31. So each week lost of no snow there means a week lost of winter. A week lost of no snow at DTW is just another typical winter, whether those empty snowless weeks occur in mid to late December, January, February, etc is a crapshoot each year. Of course one would prefer the long snowless stretches to occur once snow is on the ground, which can definitely distinguish the quality of season between two seemingly normal low 40" winters.

Archived