• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's your Season Total Snowfall so far?

TugHillMatt

Season snowfall totals to date, through this evening's climate reports. There's something really wrong here.

LAF: 17.2"

La Crosse: 16.9"

Flint: 16.4"

Madison: 16.2"

Dubuque: 16.2"

Duluth: 14.5"

Minneapolis: 14.4"

Rockford: 13.4"

Milwaukee: 13.2"

Detroit: 13.0"

Green Bay: 12.9"

Chicago: 12.9"

Fargo: 10.6"

Des Moines: 10.0"

Moline: 8.1"

Bismarck: 5.5"

:sled: lol nothing like being the snow magnet in a snow drought. If you had shown those numbers to 100 weather gurus in August and said "these are seasonal snowfall totals on Jan 25th...guess what has the weather pattern predominately been", Id bet 90 out of the 100 would say its an extremely cold, dry winter with extreme storm suppression causing significant snowfalls in the mid-south.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season snowfall totals to date, through this evening's climate reports. There's something really wrong here.

LAF: 17.2"

La Crosse: 16.9"

Flint: 16.4"

Madison: 16.2"

Dubuque: 16.2"

Duluth: 14.5"

Minneapolis: 14.4"

Rockford: 13.4"

Milwaukee: 13.2"

Detroit: 13.0"

Green Bay: 12.9"

Chicago: 12.9"

Fargo: 10.6"

Des Moines: 10.0"

Moline: 8.1"

Bismarck: 5.5"

Duluth at 14.5" is just insane. I should be happy with my 30", and I am... kinda.

And Bismark, WTF?!

I have the best one yet though, Williston North Dakota is at 1.8" of snow for the winter and that all fell before Dec 1st. That has to be a record by a wide margin too.

Actually, it looks like all 1.8" fell on January 13. One day of measurable snowfall all winter in Williston. :bag:

From today's daily climate report:

MONTH TO DATE 1.8

SINCE DEC 1 1.8

SINCE JUL 1 1.8

Last season, they had 70" through this date!

I have the best one yet though, Williston North Dakota is at 1.8" of snow for the winter and that all fell before Dec 1st. That has to be a record by a wide margin too.

As harsh at their Winters are, I'd bet the locals there aren't too bent over the snowless weather. It's not like their lakes aren't frozen over. That's been the biggest complaint here, the lack of ice on the lakes, even tho some of the shallower ones have had enough to fish on, but barely.

33.1"...LES has bailed us out time and time again, although except for a few localized areas two weekends ago, hasn't been too extreme. We have probably seen 10-15" of pure synoptic snow, nothing more than about 3" from a synoptic storm. I'm not very close to an official observing site which means a lot in lake effect prone areas where elevation and small changes in location do make a notable difference in annual snowfall. 5 miles to my NW, where I resided the first 18 years of my life likely averaged about 75-80" given the past 15 years or so of snowfall data on CLE's website...my guess is I average 70-75" at my new and tempory place of residence.

The snow magnet has been where MI/OH/IN intercepts.

They've been hit by LES, and pretty much every single synoptic snow event this season.

Yep, 28.7 inches here (and got jipped with less than 2" on the big event last Friday). I called this the "snow magnet zone" earlier this winter and really thought it would be a historic winter - lol. Historically laughable for the most part, though my total is nothing to sneeze at for this non-LES area. My season average is like 49", so I'm close to 59% of my seasonal average at this juncture. I need (10) more 2 inchers to make my average for the year. Me thinks its gonna be close..

33.1"...LES has bailed us out time and time again, although except for a few localized areas two weekends ago, hasn't been too extreme. We have probably seen 10-15" of pure synoptic snow, nothing more than about 3" from a synoptic storm. I'm not very close to an official observing site which means a lot in lake effect prone areas where elevation and small changes in location do make a notable difference in annual snowfall. 5 miles to my NW, where I resided the first 18 years of my life likely averaged about 75-80" given the past 15 years or so of snowfall data on CLE's website...my guess is I average 70-75" at my new and tempory place of residence.

Up to 21.1" here at the shoreline. A few of those early events kept us wet, while a mile or two inland picked up an inch or two.

Is there any sort of record keeping or measurments for nation-wide snow departures from average? I knew things were bad but looking at those numbers is really remarkable.

I dont think so...but I wish they did. We have had horrible nationwide winters in the past, but they are extremely rare. I think 1936-37 and 1952-53 are two good examples. Usually, when one area suffers, another prospers, and vice versa. When I look at Detroit's top 10 snowiest and least snowy winters, some of our snowless winters were excellent winters elsewhere and likewise, some of our snowiest winters were nothing special in many other nearby places. But winters like this where almost everyone from coast to coast is at a deficit is very unusual.

Yep, 28.7 inches here (and got jipped with less than 2" on the big event last Friday). I called this the "snow magnet zone" earlier this winter and really thought it would be a historic winter - lol. Historically laughable for the most part, though my total is nothing to sneeze at for this non-LES area. My season average is like 49", so I'm close to 59% of my seasonal average at this juncture. I need (10) more 2 inchers to make my average for the year. Me thinks its gonna be close..

Considering the seasonal average here ( Per GRR ) is a hair over 60" my hunch is that your seasonal average is a bit higher then that. I know the seasonal totals drop off decently the further east you go especially from Kalamazoo to say Jackson but that would be quite the drop between there and here.

Amazing to think but if the forecast holds up i should be exactly where i was last year on the last day of January. Ofcourse i am one of very few who as well gives this winter higher marks compared to last winter up to this point. Yeah being the screwzone last year has a bit to do with that. :P

I dont think so...but I wish they did. We have had horrible nationwide winters in the past, but they are extremely rare. I think 1936-37 and 1952-53 are two good examples. Usually, when one area suffers, another prospers, and vice versa. When I look at Detroit's top 10 snowiest and least snowy winters, some of our snowless winters were excellent winters elsewhere and likewise, some of our snowiest winters were nothing special in many other nearby places. But winters like this where almost everyone from coast to coast is at a deficit is very unusual.

At least Alaska is kicking ass and taking names.

Considering the seasonal average here ( Per GRR ) is a hair over 60" my hunch is that your seasonal average is a bit higher then that. I know the seasonal totals drop off decently the further east you go especially from Kalamazoo to say Jackson but that would be quite the drop between there and here.

Amazing to think but if the forecast holds up i should be exactly where i was last year on the last day of January. Ofcourse i am one of very few who as well gives this winter higher marks compared to last winter up to this point. Yeah being the screwzone last year has a bit to do with that. :P

Idk, but I doubt there is detailed records for our little airport here, so I consulted several maps and there is a sharp demarkation between YBY and MBY. But we're only talking 10-12"/season. When you break it down, that would mean 1"/ twelve Lake Michigan involved events, or 2"/ six events. After living here roughly nine years, I've seen many times when KBTL will get 3" to my 1" (or less actually). So, this quite beleivable to me. Just consider the difference from your place to K'zoo county. Similar gradient I think applies in that direction too.

I think a better question to ask is ...

"What's your season total snowfall so far excluding all events less than 4 inches?"

I expect to see a lot of places show a big fat zero.

4.6" in Nov!!!

9.2"

In fact, everytime I get a tenth of an inch of snow, I'm going to post in this thread. So I should post about 2 or 3 more times this year in this thread.

lol Quit exagerating.

Idk, but I doubt there is detailed records for our little airport here, so I consulted several maps and there is a sharp demarkation between YBY and MBY. But we're only talking 10-12"/season. When you break it down, that would mean 1"/ twelve Lake Michigan involved events, or 2"/ six events. After living here roughly nine years, I've seen many times when KBTL will get 3" to my 1" (or less actually). So, this quite beleivable to me. Just consider the difference from your place to K'zoo county. Similar gradient I think applies in that direction too.

You are probably correct. However do note alot of maps still have not been updated yet to the new 1981-2010 normals yet. Plus i have found a number of them to be off. I do recall coming up with a average of about a inch a mile ( more towards the lake and less the other direction ) a while back. Is it about 10-11 miles from KBTL to there? Seems about right. The max down this way to our west is Bloomingdale with 94.1" for a seasonal average i do believe and it is about 34 miles away and thus how i came up with the inch a mile. lol Start losing some again further west because of the warmer lake water influence.

Archived